Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How long have you been hunting?

Hunting at my fathers side with a slug gun after quail aged 5, fifty years later I'm still climbing those hills after meat for the house. I think when I can't make the hills I'll become camp seargent like others before me and take up trout fishing whilst the younger folk charge around for a while. Others before me took their turn at this and enjoyed it very much. Last one I knew came out till in his seventies!

7 years.. i started later than some on the forum. shot my first koon when i was 12. moving from a 10 acre property to a 41 acre property was the main reason for father getting his licence and hence our shooting careers starting. shot my first deer when i was 17.

I love the bush and as such its appropriate that its also my office

I love hunting fallow year round and reds during the roar, my aspirations for 2013 are to shoot a chamois and get into competitive clay's.

hot barrels and tight lines.

5.56 inside

stay safe!

Started hitting Rats down the local sewage farm in UK at 10 years old with a home made slingshot, at 13 I traded an old Webley Junior air rifle (could have thrown the pellets faster im sure) fixed the broken piston (thanks to an awesome metalwork teacher), got a clip round the ear from old bill for having said Offensive weapon on an old land fill site (still after the rats). My dad told me i had to either join local Army cadets (to learn how to safely use guns) or the air rifle got the chopper through it !!! Well I did and served with british armed forces and spent a long long time tinkering with Air Rifles and sent many bunnies off to the spirit in the sky in UK. Got bitten by the all elusive bug again last year after a mate took me clay bird shooting. Still use an air rifle for Bunnies but also now have .22 bolt action, a semi 12g and my lovely old warrior a churchill .303. My tally is Bunnies bunnies and some more bunnies (the dogs love me) but this year im putting maximum effort into DOC land hunting. Hoping for a goat and a pig before 2014.

Dad managed farms from when i was born, bought up around guns, dad wasn't much of a bush hunter as he had a bad back so wasn't able impart much 'bush knowledge' to me so consequently i don't go bush much as would hate cause work for other people trying to find me. Plus the Pureoras is a prick of a place to hunt easy to get lost in, was told that by several diffenent experienced hunters. Most of it has being farm edge edge hunting and older i get i realise opportunities i have have had to hunt/shoot i didn't make the most of them(dumb shit(swears to himself)).Bit harder now with family comittments, cash and stuff but still do what i can when i can. A bad days hunting beats any day at work.

im 23 been hunting since about 3!, grew up with farming shot my first giant rabbit at 3 with my grandfather. took out most of the rabbits down the local road from about 10 with a slazenger single shot .22, At the age of 12 started pig hunting in the pines around Kawerau/Whakatane. also did alot of deer stalking and spotlighting. at 16 i went farming and since then iv shot 1 deer! sad i know!!!
    Would love to start up again though, i got m gun licence before my car licence, had 18 guns at one point! and iv nearly owned and tested every single calibre of hunting rifle. still stick to my good'ol marlin 30/30!
    now i have a little girl so do alot of spotlighting around the farm with her, invested in a good cond ruger 10/22 and have shot over 150 hares in the last 12 months not to mention about 2-300 possums!!

so keep hunting guys and spread on the knowledge to the younger ones!

Re: How long have you been hunting?

30 years in one form or another.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Bavarian_Hunter likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Plenty ex British Army around NZ by the looks Garry W. Ex Light Dragoons myself...

Shooting since 13 yrs old, Airgun Shotties and Rifles, Challenger 2 main armament 120mm

Im ex sapper Aurochs. Pleased to meet you.

I started hunting in the 80's. Had a bit of a break in between (army)came out done more and since I have come over to NZ have started again.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry W View Post
    Im ex sapper Aurochs. Pleased to meet you.
    Welcome Garry
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Shot my first deer and pig, when I was 10 with 7x57m Mauser action Parker hale Safari Super Model, my Father bought for me in 1962. Now my son uses it and he is 32 years old. I have shot a few animals from rats to deer. My Father was a Deer Culler in the 1940's working for Internal Affairs and packing deer skins. I was a second generation Culler Shooting for the then N.Z.Forest Service as a bonus Hunter in the early 1970's.Also worked on the Rotorua/Taupo Pest Destruction Board for several years. I really love game bird shooting now and hunting over Labs.

Quote Originally Posted by Duxbac View Post
    Shot my first deer and pig, when I was 10 with 7x57m Mauser action Parker hale Safari Super Model, my Father bought for me in 1962. Now my son uses it and he is 32 years old. I have shot a few animals from rats to deer. My Father was a Deer Culler in the 1940's working for Internal Affairs and packing deer skins. I was a second generation Culler Shooting for the then N.Z.Forest Service as a bonus Hunter in the early 1970's.Also worked on the Rotorua/Taupo Pest Destruction Board for several years. I really love game bird shooting now and hunting over Labs.
    Welcome to the forum Duxbac.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

Yikes, more soldiers!
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurochs View Post
    Challenger 2 main armament 120mm
    Elephant gun

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Yikes, more soldiers!
    Yes Dougie and a sapper as well. Need anything blown up?