Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree338Likes

Thread: How much camo is too much?

Far more important to get good quality gear rather than camo vs not. Better to have a good layer system that will get you out there more and keep you out for longer.
    In the scheme of hunting skills it's very low on the list of importance.
    stingray, BRADS, woods223 and 4 others like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

If you are wearing any camo at all, at any time, you are wearing too much camo.

Just say no to camo.

I think it all depends on the circumstances, if an animal smells you its going to bolt regardless but only hearing a sound isn't necessarily going to make it run, I think the situation where camo would help is where you're trying to avoid that second confirmation of danger where it hears something and also spots your silhouette. Certainly not required but neither is anything else that goes above and beyond the minimum, it's just an advantage in certain situations.

I personally don't like wearing anything that could be mistaken for a deer and honestly I'm weary of blaze orange too. Logic being that brown is just a shade of red, if a deer is colour blind to red and cant tell the difference between blaze orange and brown then wouldn't the same thing be true if a human hunter is red colour blind also? if that's true then wouldn't blaze orange look very similar to the colour of a deer?

Don't wear anything white, I saw a guy wear white gumboots that he got from the freezing works out hunting years ago (not a good buzz).

On the other side of the scale I once saw a ute painted camo
    When hunting think safety first

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Wearing a $500 camo jacket doesn't make you a better hunter.Just sun faded old brown greenish grayish clothing will do.Your white face and the back of yr white hands,deer will see a k away easilly.So early mornings late evenings,cover up a bit.Walk very slow on bush edges,stop and a look around lots.Dont have a white hanky hanging out of yr pocket.Deer will spot you.Good luck.
    faded brown can be a fatal mistake......deer are a faded brown....I will wear camo or plain colors but I will not wear a brown or worse still orange/brown iten of clothing in deer country....I will wear matuku camo out in open country but wont wear it in the bush for same reason.
    ElDax, NO4, stagstalker and 2 others like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Solid colours are the go to for me. Sitting still it doesn't matter what you wear it's unnatural movement that gives you away. On all fours you can get in close even in open country. It wouldn't matter if you wore a pink tutu and rainbow fright wig or camo it's your outline and style of movement thats important. Normal Camouflage clothing seems to work best at separating people from money in my opinion
    Andygr and 7mm tragic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ElDax View Post
    I think it all depends on the circumstances, if an animal smells you its going to bolt regardless but only hearing a sound isn't necessarily going to make it run, I think the situation where camo would help is where you're trying to avoid that second confirmation of danger where it hears something and also spots your silhouette. Certainly not required but neither is anything else that goes above and beyond the minimum, it's just an advantage in certain situations.

I personally don't like wearing anything that could be mistaken for a deer and honestly I'm weary of blaze orange too. Logic being that brown is just a shade of red, if a deer is colour blind to red and cant tell the difference between blaze orange and brown then wouldn't the same thing be true if a human hunter is red colour blind also? if that's true then wouldn't blaze orange look very similar to the colour of a deer?
    In this whole argument EldAX ya stand out as common sense good on ya mate - cause most of what has been said on here about camo is rubbish - I wear some camo bush hunting - why that first contact with a deer if I can hold that animal that has spotted me first just for enough for me to get a shot while it works out just what I am THATS camo - if every time I sit and glass quietly the camo blends me in and helps me not be spotted THATS camo - blaze orange is crap dont wear it - on dusk wet muddy or bloody its brown - after 50 + years of bush stalking I would not be seen dead in it -
    Micky Duck, ElDax and stagstalker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Solid colours are the go to for me. Sitting still it doesn't matter what you wear it's unnatural movement that gives you away. On all fours you can get in close even in open country. It wouldn't matter if you wore a pink tutu and rainbow fright wig or camo it's your outline and style of movement thats important. Normal Camouflage clothing seems to work best at separating people from money in my opinion
    South Africa fought and won the border war using mainly nutria brown uniforms. Being still is the best camo.
    Muttonguts likes this.

there is famous quote from a equally famous American hunter of old...the name Bear comes to mind???? our grandfathers hunted in red plad shirts,the best camouflage is to sit still and shut up..... or words to that effect
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    If you are wearing any camo at all, at any time, you are wearing too much camo.

Just say no to camo.
    Best post so far

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
    Marty Henry, Basenjiboy and RV1 like this.

But camo makes you look like a pro ha ha.

This was camo in the early 80s.
    Cotton shirt worn under a checkered swandri until it warmed up
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Face paint is the key, your new hunting mates will be keen on some to when you turn up in it so take it with you.
    Gkp and kiwifella like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Allizdog View Post
    But camo makes you look like a pro ha ha.
    okay all you anti camo brigade - one simple one - why do army's thru out the world spend millions on dressing their soldiers in camo appropriate for the conditions they are going into - especially their special forces - yes even our SAS - desert or jungle - dependent on local conditions - because it works - not because they look pro - its what they need - why do bow hunters dress in camo-because it works - it does not take a rocket scientist guys

I know. I have several items of camo I wear for hunting.
    Just looking for a bite, like you were the other night lol. Ironic

Last edited by Allizdog; 06-07-2023 at 07:23 PM.
    erniec likes this.