Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
Like Tree338Likes

Thread: How much camo is too much?

MB
    If you're shooting deer at 300+ metres, I doubt camo makes much difference. In the bush, it may buy you a few more seconds, so where's the harm? I know it takes me longer to spot mates wearing natural colour camo versus blue apparel. Yes, animal eyesight is different, but not that different. That said, most camo patterns look solid at a distance anyway, so probably no advantage over natural solid colours. Also, shine a UV light on your favourite hunting clothing, it might be an eye opener! Either way, I think we can agree that white faces and flappy white hands are not helpful.

A cautionary tale I have regarding camo clothing, and greens/browns that has changed my perspective.
    Just recently, a couple of good hunting mates and I went on our annual spring hunt. This trip replaced a fly-in to the Kaweka's we had done for many years prior and is on private land(second time we have been there). Because we were now hunting private land, we were wearing our normal green swani's/coats, camo fleece pants etc. hunting clothes as you do, with no thought to wearing any blaze, or any other colour that stands out for that matter.

To cut a long story short, one of my mates fell approx. 150m down a steep face/bluff while recovering a deer on the first day, receiving very serious/life threatening injuries in the process. We believe he fell early in the day, and was mostly unconscious there after. When he had not returned by 6-7pm(had not come back for lunch which was unusual for him), we started searching. Around midnight we contacted the Police, then kept searching until 3am. Next morning the Police/SAR arrived. A helicopter also went up to search. Prior to going up the spotter asked us what he was wearing, and when told mate was in camo and green, he replied to the likely hood of spotting him if he was laying injured in any bush or scrub from the air was next to nil.
    In the end, it was this chopper that found him at 2.30 that afternoon, laying at the bottom of a hill in the open, face down, some distance from where the ground party were searching, where most of the initial helicopter search had taken place, and where we thought he would be. They had done a sweep a bit further out at a higher altitude, spotted 2 deer hind legs high up on a face next to a track and thought it had to be him, so went over for a closer look. From there he was assisted by the ground crew until the Rescue chopper turned up and winched him out. They commented, had he had an orange shirt on, he may have been spotted earlier, who knows?
    Until now, I/we had only thought of wearing blaze, or some contrasting colour to make us stand out to other hunters in the bush, not somebody trying to spot us from the land or air in a rescue situation. Most of my hunting clothing is fleece in varying earthy tones. I also have a couple of blue and orange blaze T’s and beanies I only wore when hunting public lane – this experience has changed that thought.

During the debrief that followed, the heli folk and the SAR volunteers all said how hard it is to spot someone dressed head to toe in camo, or green/brown clothing, even when out in the open. Blaze colour, even if just a cap or beanie can make all the difference.
    Second point regarded EPIRBS, and where possible to have them on your person in a zipped pocket, and not in a pack as I do. In a fall as my mate took, it is highly likely the pack gets ripped off and left where you can’t get to it.

Food for thought.

Stay safe.
    Jono
    MB, paremata, Sika 8 and 1 others like this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by jono7 View Post
    A cautionary tale I have regarding camo clothing, and greens/browns that has changed my perspective.
    Just recently, a couple of good hunting mates and I went on our annual spring hunt. This trip replaced a fly-in to the Kaweka's we had done for many years prior and is on private land(second time we have been there). Because we were now hunting private land, we were wearing our normal green swani's/coats, camo fleece pants etc. hunting clothes as you do, with no thought to wearing any blaze, or any other colour that stands out for that matter.

To cut a long story short, one of my mates fell approx. 150m down a steep face/bluff while recovering a deer on the first day, receiving very serious/life threatening injuries in the process. We believe he fell early in the day, and was mostly unconscious there after. When he had not returned by 6-7pm(had not come back for lunch which was unusual for him), we started searching. Around midnight we contacted the Police, then kept searching until 3am. Next morning the Police/SAR arrived. A helicopter also went up to search. Prior to going up the spotter asked us what he was wearing, and when told mate was in camo and green, he replied to the likely hood of spotting him if he was laying injured in any bush or scrub from the air was next to nil.
    In the end, it was this chopper that found him at 2.30 that afternoon, laying at the bottom of a hill in the open, face down, some distance from where the ground party were searching, where most of the initial helicopter search had taken place, and where we thought he would be. They had done a sweep a bit further out at a higher altitude, spotted 2 deer hind legs high up on a face next to a track and thought it had to be him, so went over for a closer look. From there he was assisted by the ground crew until the Rescue chopper turned up and winched him out. They commented, had he had an orange shirt on, he may have been spotted earlier, who knows?
    Until now, I/we had only thought of wearing blaze, or some contrasting colour to make us stand out to other hunters in the bush, not somebody trying to spot us from the land or air in a rescue situation. Most of my hunting clothing is fleece in varying earthy tones. I also have a couple of blue and orange blaze T’s and beanies I only wore when hunting public lane – this experience has changed that thought.

During the debrief that followed, the heli folk and the SAR volunteers all said how hard it is to spot someone dressed head to toe in camo, or green/brown clothing, even when out in the open. Blaze colour, even if just a cap or beanie can make all the difference.
    Second point regarded EPIRBS, and where possible to have them on your person in a zipped pocket, and not in a pack as I do. In a fall as my mate took, it is highly likely the pack gets ripped off and left where you can’t get to it.

Food for thought.

Stay safe.
    Jono

Food for thought indeed. Glad your mate made it out. I carry a bright orange meat bag and wear bright red undies(!) which I would hope to use to make myself more visible if required. Obviously no use if I'm unconscious or so badly injured I couldn't put them on display. There has been discussion on the forum of blaze orange looking deer-coloured in some light and the risk of getting shot. I always carry a PLB.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    okay all you anti camo brigade - one simple one - why do army's thru out the world spend millions on dressing their soldiers in camo appropriate for the conditions they are going into - especially their special forces - yes even our SAS - desert or jungle - dependent on local conditions - because it works - not because they look pro - its what they need - why do bow hunters dress in camo-because it works - it does not take a rocket scientist guys
    The use of camo clothing by the military is a relatively recent thing. In the seventies we wore jungle green uniform items. This was replaced by disruptive pattern material (camo ) but that ihas come into vogue nside the last fifty years here. In my time we used natural grasses, twigs etc to camouflage / conceal our appearance. I use the word recent as plain colour uniformed armies have been around for far longer.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by trapperjohn View Post
    If your toothbrush is camo...its time for an intervention.
    I want a camo toothbrush now.
    stingray likes this.
    Use enough gun

I want camo toothpaste. Face paint tastes like shit

If you dont want to be shot wear Blue.
    If you dont want to be seen spotted wear camo

I wear typical green fleeces a HE camo rain jacket when required and dpm pants, hunt everywhere in gumboots..

Always carry fingerless gloves and a bow hunting camo face wrap for when its really cold and im sitting & waiting.

Moving slow is CAMO
    MB and Eat Meater like this.