Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: How much do you spend on gear?

My dogs, easily my biggest investment.

If I were to add up thier purchase prices it would put me into a five figure number already, then there is the cost of keeping them on top. Hate to think what the big kennels with multiple imports would cost!

The rate youre going you can tell us soon

Still cheaper than motocross

*edit* or jetboat racing aye @Twoshotkill!
    Twoshotkill likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post

Or children!!

Lets see, rifle WW2 Mauser $10 new Army Surplus 40 years ago
    Green River skinning knife $20 about 30 years old. Looks like a bit of N08 wire bit still holds an edge
    Swanny with hood and holes $40 new 30 years ago
    Shorts Long moleskins don't ask..Keep in cage when not beng worn
    Puttys Old blanket cut up
    Boyangs Spare bootlaces
    Boots $150 Hi top about 5 years ago.
    Belt pouch First aid kit,needle+suture. Pull thru+patches and small oil tube.

And the most important a candle wax topped blank to clear the barrel when you arse over and use the rifle as a walking stick.
    Marty Henry likes this.
    Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see

My dogs, easily my biggest investment.

If I were to add up thier purchase prices it would put me into a five figure number already, then there is the cost of keeping them on top. Hate to think what the big kennels with multiple imports would cost!
    Many many years ago my wife worked as a "kennel maid" for a lady who had 30 Border terriers and 9 or so Jack Russell in here breeding kennels. Nasty little fuckers they are. All were imports as they came with her when she moved back to NZ from UK.
    I shudder what it would have cost to import 40 or so dogs from the UK to NZ.
    She reckoned it was the best job she ever had. All her charges were all ways pleased to see her.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

TJM
    Try not to spend too much as the fishing also has to come out of the budget. Bought as MSR tent recently, light but even on special was expensive. boots and gps expensive but at least they last a long time

I am on a budget so try and research everything before i buy it. Over the years i have found packs and waterproof/ breathable jackets made by hunting brands tend to be much worse than those made by generally tramping/ hiking companies like macpac.

I will research the shit out of something I want, then search for the best price on the internet and get it from the states usually. Like others said, buy quality, pay once and make it last. Even though a lot of my clothing and equipment is basic I buy the good quality stuff. I cant bring myself to buy something like a jet boil, I'm old school I still make fire.
    Boulderman likes this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Yip!!!!
    I recon it would be cheaper to own a chopper!!!
    Pointer likes this.
    SOMETIMES I QUESTION MY SANITY......OCCASIONALLY IT ANSWERS BACK .!

way to much lol
    OPCz

If in doubt double tap

I've caught myself trying to put a figure on this before and stopped myself quickly ;-)

Let's see... Good reason to finally do a quick count up to see what I've put into this hobby:

Rifle+scope $1600
    PLB $500
    Suppressor (and fitting) $400
    GPS $300
    Tent $200
    Pack $200
    Fleece camo jumper + shorts $150
    S/bag $120
    Head torch $100
    Gloves $60
    Knife $60
    Rifle bag $50?
    MSR pot $30
    Gas cooker $15
    Misc gear like rechargeable batteries, bore snakes, gas canister, cutlery, cleaning kit, bits and pieces... $500

So that's a few $k there and I've probably spent a few more k on stuff that didn't work out or wasn't really fit for purpose. I've bought a lot of hiking gear from places like Bivouac and found a lot of it wasn't suitable, like packs and clothing that made too much noise or didn't have the right storage etc. Mostly I didn't know what I should be looking for.

I usually spend good money on gear I know I'll be relying on and for other stuff I buy the cheapest I can get to see if I'd use it (then pay good money if yes). Sometimes this works out extremely well... like the $15 folding cooker I got from ebay that has far outlasted the crummy $90 Primus one that doesn't even come in a waterproof box so won't light when it gets wet...

I've also got loads of use out of the $40 Nepalese-made knockoff North Face pack I bought in the Himalayas on a motorbike trip 18 months ago. It has carried far more heavy stuff than it ever should have! Very trusty.

I have some decent boots too but just use them for hiking now. I prefer my trail running shoes for hunting since they're much quieter, dry quickly, more agile... (strong ankles, no sprains).
    Thanks to the Playstation we have the outdoors to ourselves!

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Buy once, cry once... Never keep receipts...
    Mate I used to race motorbikes with would spend $5k + on extras on a new bike before he ever rode it. Every year...
    His mrs found a receipt for a $60 riding jersey and went off her face that he would spend $60 on a shirt to go get muddy LOL
    300winmag and Shaun@KUIU like this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    Buy once, cry once... Never keep receipts...
    Mate I used to race motorbikes with would spend $5k + on extras on a new bike before he ever rode it. Every year...
    His mrs found a receipt for a $60 riding jersey and went off her face that he would spend $60 on a shirt to go get muddy LOL
    When I raced motorcycles seriously the budget averaged 30k a year, man hunting is cheap no matter what gear you have to have!

res
    I used to budget $15k a year to race mtb,and I got free bikes and a lot of free gas.

Huntings cheep in comparison
    Using Tapatalk