Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: hows this for a first gun?

Surely the mussels would disintegrate if they reached the "mussel velocity"
    veitnamcam and kiwishoota like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Nah, nothing wrong with calibre, but the rifle make and model is low end of scale.
    What's your budget?
    being a student im a tight arse so if i can pick up a good tikka 308 for under $50 im in. all jokes aside i looking at spending nothing over about $700 if thats possable. nothing flash just needs to shoot straight and take down deer

While not my cup of tea Remington do fine rifles just not that one,BRNO also are good tho most are getting long in the tooth now.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by possummatti View Post
    ok thanks guys.
    i have been told to keep away from Remington, stoeger, Brno, mossberg riffles. not sure why but apparently would be buying myself a problem. not really sure what calliber i want but will mainly be hunting goats and deer in the kaimais as i cant really travel too far at the moment.
    Nothing wrong with M700 Remington, I have whats left of a new one, I got a little carried away OK. All depends on what your budget is. If you can tell us that we can help you spend it wisely
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by possummatti View Post
    ok thanks guys.
    i have been told to keep away from Remington, stoeger, Brno, mossberg riffles. not sure why but apparently would be buying myself a problem. not really sure what calliber i want but will mainly be hunting goats and deer in the kaimais as i cant really travel too far at the moment.
    Its not a remington thing its a770 thing, Model 700 is fine in remmys but i cant speak on other brands.
    They are cheap for a reason and having owned a 770 for a few months, dont go there.
    Second hand Tikkas remington 700s model 7s are all good just dont go for the budget model cos you will be gutted at the end result.
    veitnamcam, mikee and Carpe Diem like this.

Have a look on trademe at some of the 6.5x55 Mausers going cheap, they are awesome. awesome with an A not an O.
    outinabout likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Nothing wrong with M700 Remington, I have whats left of a new one, I got a little carried away OK. All depends on what your budget is. If you can tell us that we can help you spend it wisely

anything upto $700 champ

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post

Older ain't necessarily bad, and if you can try to get a test fire to understand what else you need doing to it e.g bedding, trigger, supressor etc.

Once you know what you like watch this site like a hawk as I'm amazed the rifles that have come up on here in the last 6 months.

although this is possibly worth a look before it closes in the next 30 mins for $600 odd
    308 Rifle Winchester | Trade Me
    OOops Sorry I hope that wasn't you Maca (Macca 65) trying to snaffle that 308 Winchester!before I alerted everyone!
    Close-ish to you Possumatti see if he will let you view/ test the rifle and give you a fixed offer bid.

Quote Originally Posted by Malhunting View Post
    Have a look on trademe at some of the 6.5x55 Mausers going cheap, they are awesome. awesome with an A not an O.
    i have seen a few of them but didnt really look into it as it was a wierd calliber and i know nothing about them

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    OOops Sorry I hope that wasn't you Maca (Macca 65) trying to snaffle that 308 Winchester!before I alerted everyone!
    Close-ish to you Possumatti see if he will let you view/ test the rifle and give you a fixed offer bid.
    will do thanks

or maybe something like this could be the go, assuming its in good nick its in your price range
    Winchester Westerner 30-06
    veitnamcam and Carpe Diem like this.

Regret selling mine. Bloody accurate and cheap to run. No recoil either.

Cheers mikee
    Dont know much about 30-06 but looks like a nice gun at a nice price. What sort of accurate shooting range would you have with it and would i be able to put any type of scope and rings on it or do they need to be the right ones . Thanks
    If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of food.

7.62x39 is a good choice of calibre also, with cheap ammo. I've got a Norinco and it's dropped everything I've hit with it. They're a cheap rifle, and need a little work to get the accuracy as the factory action fitting to the stock is poor (being nice describing that). Since you're in Morrinsvill, that's not so far from where I am, so we could meet up for a couple of walks
    possummatti likes this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Tell us what your absolute, stretched out, won't end in divorcee, [well possibly but take the plunge anyway and grovel later],dollar limit is, and where you see your self shooting mostly and at what.
    there will be enough good advice given on this forum to leave you choices.
    Isn't their a 6.5 tikka about for $780 or such with rings, he may sell cheaper.
    load a nosler 120gr bt and your ready for most stuff.
    Last edited by jakewire; 20-08-2014 at 01:15 AM.
    BRADS likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?