Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hunter found Dead in Wairarapa 07/04/2012

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by MEB View Post
    I don't think they troll through here - It's too hard to find.
    You would be suprised who reads this forum.

All you need to do is Google for "Hunter found dead in the Wairarapa" or even "Hunter found dead" and stuff like that and this site is in the top few results.

Pretty easy to find. Low hanging fruit for someone wanting to find info.

DAF
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    You would be suprised who reads this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by RimfireNZ View Post
    All you need to do is Google for "Hunter found dead in the Wairarapa" or even "Hunter found dead" and stuff like that and this site is in the top few results.

Pretty easy to find. Low hanging fruit for someone wanting to find info.

last month we had around 7500 unique visitors to the forum, there is a lot of traffic through here not just members
    "Such is life..." - Ned Kelly

Red/orange Blaze

This poor young hunter was photographed with a stag shot by his mate befor he was shot. He is wearing a red beanie ,as a lot do. I recall a few years before another hunter was shot in the head ,he too had a red hat. If you see the photo of the poor fellow in the article the beanie is not dissimular in colour to the red deer. How is it red is the only choice as a safty garment ,why not hi vis green ? .Ive seen plenty of red deer never a green one !. If someone could put the link up of the photo in stuff .co you will see. I agree these shooting accidents are avoidable and we should not have to look like a neon sign , but I think red or orange is too close to a red deer, Bush light is nothing like open air light. Would like to hear some feedback

The photo in question, taken 3 hours before he was shot. He was shot @1.30 in the afternoon. He and his shooting partner had 2 way radios and GPS.

Impure Lead Flinger
    I agree compleatly.. Blaze looks like a deer in low light.... Quite a number of guys actually shot are wearing blaze.... The case up the rough river.... That guy was shot in the head an was wearing blaze beanie..... There was a study and a police pamphlet put out a number of years ago about this blaze lokking like a deer........ Blaze is used inthe states on open plains where its effective but it seems that its not in NZs bush...... Which makes me feel bright blue is the way forward.. Nothing in the bush is blue...
    Last edited by crzyman; 14-04-2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: fixed it

Impure Lead Flinger
    "SHOT" in the head...... Cant edit on my phone lol

Blaze can never look like a deer. Does blaze have a head, ears, four legs and look like a f*#ken animal? Some of you guys on here and the other forum are going down the wrong track discussing colour. Don't shoot until you can see its a deer and not a human.

Take a look at the picture above, they're quite different. Does anyone here think he looks in any way like the deer beside him?

Blue sounds good ,have thought about that too . I'm sure someone may be able to help out . I know deer see ultra voilet , don't know if this means hi vis blue is a no go .?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    Blaze can never look like a deer. Does blaze have a head, ears, four legs and look like a f*#ken animal? Some of you guys on here and the other forum are going down the wrong track discussing colour. Don't shoot until you can see its a deer and not a human.

Take a look at the picture above, they're quite different. Does anyone here think he looks in any way like the deer beside him?
    Missing the point mike h ! . The ,fact is people get fucked up on what they think is a deer ,! Why they do is another thing, . The point is hunters get shot wearing what the think is going to help identify them as human .

The colour debate has been done everywhere. Deer see blue which is why you don't see it belong promoted by clothing companies. As for the best all round colour which deer see the least and humans see the most the testing has shown blaze orange to be the best. To wear nothing contrasting with the bush is asking for more trouble not less.

People fuck up because they're idiots who don't identify their target. They only think its a deer because they're prepared to shoot at what they must think is part of a deer. Here's a piece from an online report which I posted on the other forum:

"While there are no excuses for a hunter to not positively identify their target, there are well known psychological factors that can contribute to these errors of judgement. Ironically, experienced hunters are actually more likely to have these accidents than novices. Years of experience can cause a hunter's brain to subconsciously pre-determine the outcome, resulting in a case of 'scenario fulfillment' or 'confirmation bias' or 'early closure'. Usually the hunter involved swears they were shooting at an animal, and wouldn't have shot if they thought there was any chance it wasn't.

This tendency to seek information that confirms already held beliefs and tune out contradictory evidence (like the presence of blaze orange) is a well known shortcoming of human perception and can be very hard to overcome."

The human brain is remarkably good at "filling in the gaps" from a little information and showing us things that aren't actually there, or modifying things that are. There have been a heap of studies done on it.

Take this for example, squares A and B are exactly the same color (you can test it by using the color eyedropper tool in Photoshop or something similar).

Condolences to the family. Must be so terrible for them

Thanks mike , I totally agree. It is inexcusable for anyone to shoot at only a part of an animal . Have you ever walked behind a mate in the bush carrying a deer or pig and your eyes draw to that animal time and time again. I can see how it happens , but too can not understand why someone could be so stupid as to shoot at a glance.