Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Hunting clothing thoughts please

I have gone away from wearing merino clothing while hunting. My main base layers are either short or long sleeve silk like Under Armour second skin tops. Fair much better in the bush with tearing and dry extremely fast, still plenty warm enough when it gets cold and don't stink, even after multiple days in the bush as they are anti-microbial. Not cheap to buy, but all mine are at least 5 years old and are also warn on a regular basis during the week when I am running in the colder months.

Mind you, I am living in Tauranga now and the climate is much warmer in winter than it was when i was in CHCH. Would still pack a spare merino if I was in the Alps and wear it over top of the base tee.
    JRW87 likes this.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

I won't hunt in Merino..... I perspire, and when climbing to a glassing spot have become wet through, just wearing a merino top.

I was fine while I was moving, but got bloody cold when glassing when glassing with a Gortex shell on.... So next day I took a spare top and threw the wet one on the tussock. It didn't dry, and I found it problematic to dry in the hut, in May.

I swapped to UnderArmor, and haven't looked back.

I use the Base 1.0 and 2.0 tops, they seem to dry on me and /or are real easy dry overnight. Spendy here, but an order between us to Cabelas and job done.

UnderArmor.

B

I to are all for Under Armour, I use Base 1 for most of the year although just changed to a heat gear top for summer get all mine from Amazon way cheaper than H&F about to get some base 2 for winter.