Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: Hunting fitness

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    I shall run that past the missus then .......
    tell her its like yoga but with way better benefits for both parties involved haha

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    I shall run that past the missus then .......
    "Run it past...." That's where you're going wrong.....

Just find a decent hill locally, put a 20kg pack on your back and walk up and down it for an hour a four or five times a week.
    paremata, Ned, RV1 and 1 others like this.

Yeah about beans probably but there are different flavours of paleo and understanding changes over time.

The key principles are no bulk calorie carbohydrates like wheat, rice, potatoes, but plenty of vegetables, most calories from fat and a good amount of protein too. The result is plenty of vitamins and micronutrients. The real big key is to avoid high amounts of carb (converts to sugar) which causes high insulin to quickly store it all away. Only during periods of low insulin can you release fat to burn for energy. The result of a high carb diet is a one way trip for several calories each day into fat and it never comes out. This is why people in developed countries typically put on about a1kg of fat per year and by the time they are 60 they weigh 100kg instead of 70kg, which adversely affects their fitness. That's why I posted about the diet aspect in this thread.

Note also that calorie restriction does make all organisms live longer and any diet that excludes a common source of calories can be beneficial to some extent.

The human body is very adaptable and sure it is possible to survive on rice and mouse droppings but not in optimal health. Large civilisations with a big population require plenty of calories to keep large numbers of people alive and organised states require a way of storing and trading food which means they rely on the rice / wheat / potato / corn base. Again, it is possible to survive on this and rapid evolution has generated a subset of the population that can thrive on it but not the majority, which is why few people over 50 are capable of hunting in the NZ mountains.
    Lauries Hut and RV1 like this.

I run the dogs between 5-10km 3-5 times a week while driving the hilux..

But i can still plod 10km in and out again when required, i dont always like it but i get there in the end.

I just remind myself hunting isnt a race it's and adventure, i only need to be walk fit...

I could do with some cardio though lol
    TimC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vault View Post
    I run the dogs between 5-10km 3-5 times a week while driving the hilux..

But i can still plod 10km in and out again when required, i dont always like it but i get there in the end.

I just remind myself hunting isnt a race it's and adventure, i only need to be walk fit...

I could do with some cardio though lol
    I run my dog 8-15 km a day with me walking, too old to run at 76. You don't have to be super fit to hunt but makes the day far more enjoyable having some level of fitness, well it does to me.
    30.06king likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    I run my dog 8-15 km a day with me walking, too old to run at 76. You don't have to be super fit to hunt but makes the day far more enjoyable having some level of fitness, well it does to me.
    I'm 66 now and pray I'm still coping with the hills when I'm 76. I help myself by being reasonably serious about maintaining some level of fitness but know I tend to be somewhat on and off about it sometimes. It's all outdoors exercise so weather is a big factor ( my excuse ) but the exercise I love most is being out, rifle in hand, looking for game. Can't beat it.
    Chur Bay and whirehair like this.

I find gaining field experience maneuvering around obstacles is just as important as fitness. When you are not used to it, it can wear you out.
    Saying that being fitter does enable you to enjoy the hunt more. This is especially true if you are hunting with someone else, when it's not completely up to yourself to set the pace.

The following worked well for me:

Lactic tolerance session
    4x200m
    3x400m
    8x100m

Special endurance session
    2x600m
    3x1km

Base endurance
    5km full speed

Long slow recovery run
    1 hour jog at conversation pace

Do the above every week and that should get you fitter than most hunters.
    TimC likes this.

I've found running pretty hard on the knees, so try to avoid it. I've started commuting to work on the pushbike 30min/10km each way. I've found that just doing that 2-3 a week makes a massive difference to the heart rate and legs going up the hills.
    Micky Duck, techno retard and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    one burbon ,one scotch and one beer....Im in shape...round is a shape.
    I predominately bush stalk so a slow plod is better than a fast walk.in the worst condition ever sitting 115-120kgs at present but still tipped over a deer yesterday and left not a scrap of meat behind...
    I worry about you micky, nah it's me i have to worry about having to carry you out on my back. But now that you have cushy job might be a good idea to take up slow jogging and progressing up the slow running.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
    I find gaining field experience maneuvering around obstacles is just as important as fitness. When you are not used to it, it can wear you out.
    Saying that being fitter does enable you to enjoy the hunt more. This is especially true if you are hunting with someone else, when it's not completely up to yourself to set the pace.

The following worked well for me:

Lactic tolerance session
    4x200m
    3x400m
    8x100m

Special endurance session
    2x600m
    3x1km

Base endurance
    5km full speed

Long slow recovery run
    1 hour jog at conversation pace

Do the above every week and that should get you fitter than most hunters.
    I'm pleased to see a fit young man out n about, might get you to carry my pack next time.
    Synthetic likes this.

When I was training for kickboxing 5 days a week, twice a day, hunting in the weekends was a breeze. I miss those days! But i don't miss the training.
    Synthetic likes this.

Walking my rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    one burbon ,one scotch and one beer....Im in shape...round is a shape.
    I predominately bush stalk so a slow plod is better than a fast walk.in the worst condition ever sitting 115-120kgs at present but still tipped over a deer yesterday and left not a scrap of meat behind...
    Yeah im in this camp too Freezer is full of veni
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.