Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Hunting Gear

Hunting Gear

Hey Team
    Fairly new to Deer hunting. Apologies if this has already been asked 1000 times.
    I’ll be going on a roar trip to the south island next year with my dad and my good mate
    Looking for recommendations of good tried and tested gear to buy and maybe what to stay away from
    Have some gear already but Will be needing binos + harness. 80l pack. Tent, sleeping bag + sleeping gear. Cooker. Meals ect
    Would rather buy once cry once but look forward to hearing your opinions
    Cheers, Ty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is lots in the buy sell section. Have a scroll through. A badlands bino harness has just popped up.
    Up The Tahrs 93 likes this.

Mate you just opened up a can of worms, everybody is different in there preferences for gear and I reckon its only something you can learn through trial and error.

A lot will depend on what altitude and temperatures you plan to be out in and how much money you have.

Binos buy the best you can afford
    Bino harness twinneedle
    Pack - you need to try these on for fit. Kuiu pack is amaze balls.
    Tent to sleep how many people, what altitude?
    Sleeping bag - macpac on sale hard to beat.
    Cooker- Jetboil for a team, Primus ETA for solo.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by 300wsm for life View Post
    There is lots in the buy sell section. Have a scroll through. A badlands bino harness has just popped up.
    Thanks for the reply mate
    Dont think i can see the bss section yet but i will probably be looking to buy most of my gear new
    Cheers

300wsm for life likes this.

You don't need an 80L pack.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

As you said most of this has been discussed, try these links
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....b-story-98556/

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....et-boil-98421/

Someone in the know with have more relevant info but in the meantime, In the gear section you can find a wealth of info.
    Have fun exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobba View Post
    Mate you just opened up a can of worms, everybody is different in there preferences for gear and I reckon its only something you can learn through trial and error.

A lot will depend on what altitude and temperatures you plan to be out in and how much money you have.

Binos buy the best you can afford
    Bino harness twinneedle
    Pack - you need to try these on for fit. Kuiu pack is amaze balls.
    Tent to sleep how many people, what altitude?
    Sleeping bag - macpac on sale hard to beat.
    Cooker- Jetboil for a team, Primus ETA for solo.

Just my two cents.
    Awesome mate thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    You don't need an 80L pack.
    Okay cool thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by No good names left View Post
    As you said most of this has been discussed, try these links
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....b-story-98556/

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....et-boil-98421/

Someone in the know with have more relevant info but in the meantime, In the gear section you can find a wealth of info.
    Have fun exploring.
    Awesome thanks for the info, greatly appreciated

Honestly there are only a couple of items on your list that you’ll buy once. One is your rifle which you already have, and the other is bino’s.
    The rest of it will be a trial and error journey as no one bit of kit is ‘perfect’ for anyone. If you get int this game proper, you’ll end up with multiple pairs of boots - different seasons and environments. Multiple sleeping bags for the same reason, and multiple packs depends on the objective of the hunt you’re on. And you 100% don’t need a 80l pack! I’ve done 20 years on a 70 litre and haven’t filled it chocka many times.

That’s why second hand is a good way to go.
    Up The Tahrs 93 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter_Nick View Post
    Honestly there are only a couple of items on your list that you’ll buy once. One is your rifle which you already have, and the other is bino’s.
    The rest of it will be a trial and error journey as no one bit of kit is ‘perfect’ for anyone. If you get int this game proper, you’ll end up with multiple pairs of boots - different seasons and environments. Multiple sleeping bags for the same reason, and multiple packs depends on the objective of the hunt you’re on. And you 100% don’t need a 80l pack! I’ve done 20 years on a 70 litre and haven’t filled it chocka many times.

That’s why second hand is a good way to go.
    Awesome mate that’s exactly the sort of info I’m after. Thanks heaps!

I agree and disagree I went with a 90 litre pack after having a 75 yes while it’s to big for a weekend mission it’s definitely not to big for extended trips especially once you get an animal I like everything being able to fit inside the pack(nothing worse then having everything strapped to the outside of your pack trying to get through nasty scrub and bush ) but I think a 75 would be more then adequate for 95% of hunters , you can always tighten it up if there is excess room . Binos are a hard one buy the best you can afford your eyes will know no difference if you don’t look through anything better .I begun with a marmot sawtooth sleeping not too spec in any way but has and is still doing the job for a lot of hunts remembering you can always wear puffy gear and clothing to bed if your carrying it anyway. Personally I run a jet boil never had an issue with it as for meals definitely personal preference I tend to mix and match as you get sick of eating the same shit even a pizzeled up stag back steak taste good after a week on dehys

Quote Originally Posted by Younghunter123 View Post
    I agree and disagree I went with a 90 litre pack after having a 75 yes while it’s to big for a weekend mission it’s definitely not to big for extended trips especially once you get an animal I like everything being able to fit inside the pack(nothing worse then having everything strapped to the outside of your pack trying to get through nasty scrub and bush ) but I think a 75 would be more then adequate for 95% of hunters , you can always tighten it up if there is excess room . Binos are a hard one buy the best you can afford your eyes will know no difference if you don’t look through anything better .I begun with a marmot sawtooth sleeping not too spec in any way but has and is still doing the job for a lot of hunts remembering you can always wear puffy gear and clothing to bed if your carrying it anyway. Personally I run a jet boil never had an issue with it as for meals definitely personal preference I tend to mix and match as you get sick of eating the same shit even a pizzeled up stag back steak taste good after a week on dehys
    thats a good point mate. Thought an 80l pack would be a one size fits all sorta size but the reality is it will probably be too big more often than not for what im mostly doing. Yeah definitely seems binos are worth spending the money on.as i fall further down the rabbit hole im sure i’ll figure it all out
    Thanks for the advice

Ned
    My approach is to try and go modular. For example my sleeping bag is rated -3, but with a mid or heavy duty sea 2 summit thermal liner it stretches it into colder conditions. Or use a light weight puffer which you'd probably already have to boost what the bag can do.
    Same for tent. Something that is easy to set up fly only or with inner.
    Pack like the osprey aether 85 has a pretty capable day pack which attaches as the top lid.

For most things I'd stay clear of the cheap Ali express type things. NZ designed gear is designed for NZ conditions after all so I'd start there mostly.

Haven't watched yet but this might be of interest.
    https://youtu.be/7oQqJ6565sA?si=wt6QfuNZM6POL7yZ

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Member Say yer prayers varmint!'s Avatar
    IMO If you’ve paid at least $600 bucks for an item it tends to be good quality to last years e.g boots backpack sleeping bag, binos, plb & some tents.

Pack to be warm and dry in all situations

Don’t skint on cheap boots - Bestard have been a game changer.

Mid range warmth sleeping bag/good for spring/summer - one planet
    Add thermal sleeping bag liner (+11c°) in the colder months.

Hot water bottle & woolen bed socks if your a skinny pussy like me but it could save your life. Hot water bottle chucked on fire gets very wet tinder to burn haha.

Don’t skint on tents - I took black wolf to Fiordland (ok) mate took a one planet goondie. Now have a second hand msr carbon reflex to cut weight.

Msr microlight e bivvy for when my 800gram tent blows away.

Waterproof everything - “Tent magic”

Large pack is great when you need to pack camp up fast in shit weather. Stuff wet tent/fly/clothes in front pocket which acts as day pack. K2 85l made for the Antarctic.

HQ Waterproof stuff sacks for your sleeping bag bed clothes, electronics.

Real meals & BC Mochas made hot..
    Second hand Jet boil flash

Wet wipes… quarts/shingle hurts after a while..

Crocs or gubba gubbas for around camp - keep ya feet dry.

whistle,

Vaseline,

Make ya mate carry the heavy shit.

davetapson, Jukes, BenM and 1 others like this.