Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree338Likes

Thread: hunting incompetence

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Filthy infidel!!! how dare you insult the great Prophet of battle rifles! I will gouge your heart out and eat it, and get your strength.
    You're going all Taliban on his ass?
    keneff and Cordite like this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Last year, was going to the Coromandel to stay with my niece and have a go at some goats. Swabbed out the rifleand put it in the car. Put the bolt and mag in a container and carefully placed it on the bench right by the garage door so I couldn't forget it. Jacque's going "are you ready yet? Come on, are you ready yet?" Get to the niece's place and have a coffee, then go out to get the bolt and mag from under the seat - not there, so no goats. Of course it was all Jacque's fault for hurrying me , but I still felt like a fuckwit. All weekend, and still.
    tetawa and Paddy79 like this.
    Used to be a fine wine - now I'm vinegar.

I was out with 2post a couple of roars back. Dropping down a ponga face we had stopped to look and wait as we had heard noise below us and to one side. Just then my phone rings. It's down in the bottom of my day pack and takes some time to reach. That particular mobile number has a fairly limited distribution list so even in the circumstances I feel obliged to check it and sure enough it had been my wife phoning.

Now my wife has never even texted me during my previous 60 hunting trips, let alone phoned - accepting as she does that hunting time is man-alone time. So then I feel obliged to call her back to determine what domestic emergency has befallen my family.

You'll all be familiar with those running boar carnival games where you attempt to knock down a parade of critters with an BB rifle to win a large fluffy bunny or somesuch. So while in mid-conversation we had an all-the-fun-of-the-fair experience where first a hind, then its yearling, and then a 6-point stag paraded at a leisurely stroll, each in turn, across the gap in the bush below us at a distance of maybe 12 metres at most. Because I was slightly in front of 2post, he had to watch helplessly with rifle-in-hand while I determined what far-away drama had unfolded.

Conversation over and so were the deer – long gone, and certainly never to be seen again.

And bizarrely the reason for the call? Did I want peas or beans with my dinner ?

Couple of years back I met two guys at Totara Flats Hut who were real idiots - wearing crocs was the first warning sign and having a shitty sks with open sights between them was another - I told them that they could have the grass open areas the next day but not to shoot towards the bush
    I got out of there fairly soon but not before I heard one say to the other "I TOLD you to hunt with the wind in front of you"

There were campers, trampers and people all over the show and these two prize specimens were what they would think of when they thought of hunters - oh dear

Also have done the usual stupid things myself that everyone else has, left bolt at home etc
    keneff and Been Upto like this.

Part of being a hunter is the D-OH!! moment.

No getting away from it.
    keneff and dannyb like this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

had a moment last week, whilst out hunting rabbits, I pegged 1 literally walking into my shooting area before I'd even set up my hide/possie.
    about 5 minutes later another presented itself at around 30 yards......lined it up in the sites pulled the trigger......nothing.
    I made the critical error of not cycling the bolt after shooting the first rabbit.
    As if by murphys law the noise of cycling the bolt spooked the rabbit and he gapped it before I could line him up again.
    I may well have plugged him later but at 50 yards not the sitter at 30 hahaha them's the breaks, at least it wasn't the stag of a life time.
    still shitted me and made me a little red faced
    stingray, keneff and Paddy79 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    You're going all Taliban on his ass?
    In all friendliness. (-: Stop insulting the SMLE.

https://www.strategypage.com/dls/art...-1-22-2009.asp

Name:  proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  113.4 KB
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Filthy infidel!!! how dare you insult the great Prophet of battle rifles! I will gouge your heart out and eat it, and get your strength.
    Based on my hunting prowess today I'm surprised you'd want my strength!
    Cordite likes this.

been pighunting and forgot the dog
    went out for evening wallaby shoot wearing town boots with smooth soles
    went up godley valley in winter for thar hunt and forgot sleeping bag
    two trips in a row after I first gave up smoking...no lighter or matches
    trout fishing last week..no knife
    no steel in bumbag and both knives semi blunt this thursday....now both shave hairs off arm and steel back in place.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    I can beat the lot of you.
    A couple of years ago took my daughter out one arvo to see the hinds I had seen in the morning at the back of the farm. Rookie mistake only taking the camera and saw this, could of cried as he was only 130yds away.

Name:  1CCCCBD6-8150-4CE1-8E2F-C428940A5AA4.jpeg
Views: 510
Size:  629.7 KB

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Mate dropped his new benelli into the lake 10 mins before shooting time opening morning once,had to strip off into shoulder deep crappy Huntly lake water and feel around in the mud with his toes then dunk under and grab the gun,stripped it down best he could and ready to go just in time for first light.
    stingray, GravelBen and Micky Duck like this.

Was out rabbit shooting and was nailing just about everything right out to the edge of spotlight range about 250y using a .223.
    Close one at 25y and missed all 5 shot

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Been Upto likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

On another trip drove a couple a hours realized we both forgot our knives and ofcourse about an hour into our walk see a mob of four fallow hinds only 50-60 metres away. Bloody murphys law is a dick lol
    Mathias likes this.

MSL
    After the 2016 Toby shoot, I walked into makino hut, those who know the area will also know that the area had suffered extensive snow damage. So the hairy and I ended up scrambling around in the dark for hours with the track covered by fallen trees and branches. Got to the hut eventually after convincing the hairy that we didn’t need to camp out as the hut wasn’t too much further. Walked straight out in the morning. Wasn’t until we got back into Napier that I discovered I’d taken my wallet with me in my pack for some reason, and of course it had fallen out somewhere among the shit in the dark off the track.
    Puffin, stingray, Cordite and 1 others like this.

know a guy who is as organised as the palmy police station.....grabbed his gear in a rush to get out the door for a hunt that had been planned for weeks ......fumbling around in the dark half asleep he grabbed his 308 bolt and ammo grabbed his rifle and put that in its soft bag..........gets to the bush unzips his bag ......hmmmmm 10/22?
    GravelBen, keneff, 40mm and 1 others like this.