Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Hunting kazakhstan info

Hunting kazakhstan info

Hi Team,

Bit of a long shot but Looking to book a hunt for my father and I too Kazakhstan in 2024 and thought I’d check on here if anyone has or knows someone who’s been to that part of the world chasing Maral and Ibex?

Be keen on any info/recommendations such as visa requirements, best outfitters or specific areas to go etc.

If you could flick me a PM with any relevant info that would be much appreciated 👍

Im positive there was article in either NZHunter or rodn rifle in last 3-4 years about fella doing it...and doing it really ferally on horseback with some weird locally sourced weapons too.
    not what your after..hopefully someone will know of a reputable outfitter. maybe talk to NZ guide,they will be in the know.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Couple of forum members have, I’m sure they will help you with details

Is Wazza 56 a member here? pretty sure hes done the Maral hunt.

No Kazakstan, But my brother and I hunted Kyrgizstan some years back. Heres my experience and advice for that part of the world.

MY brother went over with My father and they had a great trip hunting Ibex- a real adventure. So much so that he and I decided to go back a couple of years later, Me for an ibex and him for a Marco Polo. In-between times the company we used got pushed out and taken over by organised crime and this trip became a nightmare of shot out herds, criminality of a number of kinds and we walked off the hunt half way through. Also due to a bit of naivety we were advised to take diuretics to cope with the altitude and towards the end of my time there I had some issues with my eyesight due to them lowering my blood pressure quite dramatically.

So My advise is most importantly go with a currently well recognised company even if it costs more. Ask around some of the international hunting forums on who is reliable.

And if you can, take a week in country before your hunt and make your way up to altitude at a sustained pace instead of hopping in a car at the airport and zooming up to 3000 meters in 5 hours.

Also just be aware that that part of world is currently turning to shit and you dont know what the situation will be in 2024, so look at having any deposits in a third party trust with a booking agent if possible.

Sounds a great idea, it's a great country with great people especially outside the city. I will look later for hunting forums that Russians have used in the past when I get a break in the traffic and Link them.google ranslate will help you there. Getting there I used to go through India to central Asia and you can fly on to almaty from there as I imagine events have closed off other routes...

Really great information hub re transport local visa requirements can be found in this forum it's always up to date perhaps more then a travel agent....

https://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/

Mongolia is a great place to consider also.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanks for the replies gents. I’ve obviously got a lot of homework to do and the advice on pitfalls to look out for is much appreciated.

Westfallia. Lots of vids on the tube of their hunts
    There is a russian outfit but at the moment???
    Google hunting g ibex in Kazakhstan for video and they'll pop up. Good luck would love to go as well but at mo it's effing uncertain world.

Quote Originally Posted by 3hundred win mag View Post
    Thanks for the replies gents. I’ve obviously got a lot of homework to do and the advice on pitfalls to look out for is much appreciated.
    When doing your homework make some enquiries about costs to bring your trophies back to NZ. I assume you want to as Maral and Ibex would be fantastic trophies. Possibly there are a couple of different routes trophies might take and while none currently are likely to be cheap it's an exercise where some operators might attempt to rip you off. If you book your hunt through an ( reputable ) outfitter try to pin them down on something definite. They might try to pass to pass the issue on to another party but insist they cost the exercise for you and make them work for the money they expect you to pay. Also, be prepared to wait to have any trophies shipped. Frequently outfitters will gradually assemble all trophies as a hunting season progresses and at seasons end attend to getting them packed up for shipping overseas. This should occur within 12 months of your hunts end but I've heard of some guys waiting more than 12 months to receive trophies from this part of the world. Also make a point of asking any outfitter about their trophy shipping timetables and get it in writing. Post hunt also email / text your outfitter every so often asking about shipment so you don't get put at the back of the queue.

Yeah good thinking 30,06!

Im not sure if you can do it now, But we always made sure we took our heads home as extra luggage right away. The ibex of my brother wasn't hard, but I had a bit of convincing to do at Melbourne airport that the two sambar heads strapped to my pack were fine to travel that way....

Quote Originally Posted by whanahuia View Post
    Yeah good thinking 30,06!

Im not sure if you can do it now, But we always made sure we took our heads home as extra luggage right away. The ibex of my brother wasn't hard, but I had a bit of convincing to do at Melbourne airport that the two sambar heads strapped to my pack were fine to travel that way....
    Good point Whanahuia. I forgot about that potential option of taking trophies home with you and it certainly has been done in the past. I'm not sure it can still be done with Ibex and Maral but it would definitely pay to enquire with the outfitter. The potential obstacle I see is whether CITES permits are a requirement or not. If required it may take a while for permits to be issued in which case trophies won't be shipped until after the hunters have returned home. However, in that part of the world it's just possible ( nudge, nudge, wink, wink ) that CITES permits can be issued on the spot making it possible to fly trophies home as extra luggage. Whether you would want to with a Maral is another question but even taking only an Ibex would save some shipping cost. International trophy shipping is not cheap ( any more ).
    Ask the outfitter if CITES permits are necessary for Ibex and Maral, and what they charge for obtaining CITES permits and if this cost is included or extra to the hunt cost. They all pay for CITES permits but what they actually charge clients for the same you should know upfront.

Another point you may already be aware of is that costs for most overseas hunts get quoted in USD which need to be factored into calculations.
    3hundred win mag likes this.

This link says ibex are Cities III https://www.speciesplus.net/species#...ts/65566/legal

You will also need a permit from MPI(?) to import the trophy, pretty sure you get that before you go. https://www.mpi.govt.nz/import/fibre...des-and-skins/

DOC info about importing hunting trophies

https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-re...ting-trophies/
    3hundred win mag likes this.

Yep I'm here, what sort of info you chasing
    whanahuia likes this.

7mmwsm and Scouser like this.

Thanks again for all the info guys, seem to have some good leads to go from now and will be sure to do a write up if the hunt goes ahead. Cheers
    199p likes this.