Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Hunting with kids under 10 - must haves

warm clothes, plenty of snacks and dont make her walk too far. Maybe take a cooker and cook up some noodles at lunch.
    have fun.

if you going to take a cooker......hide a bag of marshmellows in bottom of your pack,,,stop alongthe way and pick/cut a couple or four toasting stakes and give them to little miss for safe keeping without telling her what they are for...then after your noodles n hot milo...toasted marshmellows!!!!! you will be superDad for months.
    Husky1600, dannyb and RV1 like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

MB
    All good replies. I'd wager, your girl will be way ahead of boys of the same age.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I would suggest a spot with a bit of variety. obviously the excitement of seeing an animal is going to be a big driver of her coming again but if the trees look the same i doubt it will be stimulating
    Gibo likes this.

Banned
    All above, plus Glassing mat, spare gloves, bag of cranberry & nut mix plus a bag of 'special' lollies like mini chocolate nut bars that daughter never normally gets- special 'hunting lollies'. Dog - if you have a dog, take dog. Rifle bolt ammo and knife.
    Gibo, luv2safari, Grantn and 1 others like this.

Bolt, shit, nearly forgot
    300wsm for life and Grantn like this.

And we want to see the pic's and report soon after you get home. Its great to see parenting done right.
    Gibo and Grantn like this.

How did you get on? What went well and not so well?

Quote Originally Posted by Grantn View Post
    How did you get on? What went well and not so well?
    The hunt with my 6yo was more like a mobile snack fest. The attention span just isnt there yet. So I just let her call the shots with a little bit of advise like ‘ shall we have a look over that ridge’. We did a couple of hours before she decided she wanted to go.

Went for a walk with my 9 yo a couple of weeks back in the same place and she was unreal. She is dead set its her turn on the trigger next time.
    Name:  468B5909-37D7-4F79-B6F0-1EAF89386349.jpeg
Views: 190
Size:  7.51 MB

Looks semi civilised walking country, ideal.
    Took me a few secs to spot the bambi down.
    GWH and Gibo like this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    The hunt with my 6yo was more like a mobile snack fest. The attention span just isnt there yet. So I just let her call the shots with a little bit of advise like ‘ shall we have a look over that ridge’. We did a couple of hours before she decided she wanted to go.

Went for a walk with my 9 yo a couple of weeks back in the same place and she was unreal. She is dead set its her turn on the trigger next time.
    Attachment 204903

Good work. 6 year olds and 9 year olds can be worlds apart.
    Gibo and dannyb like this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    if you going to take a cooker......hide a bag of marshmellows in bottom of your pack,,,stop alongthe way and pick/cut a couple or four toasting stakes and give them to little miss for safe keeping without telling her what they are for...then after your noodles n hot milo...toasted marshmellows!!!!! you will be superDad for months.
    Yep i did this with my kids when i first took them up the hills. We were walking along in the middle of the bush and i said to my daughter (about 5 then) how would you like a hot choc/fluffy, she looked at me oddly, then said yeah sure dad i'd love one, but how?

So we stopped, I pulled my gas stove from my bag, and proceeded to boil up some water and make her a hot choc, even had choc sprinkles and mashmallows. She was blown away, and absolutely loved it.

I also take a piece of closed cell foam mat cut to fit down inside the back of my pack, i use it for sitting on when sitting glassing etc, so i gave her that to sit down on. Sometimes it's just the little things that make it all that much more enjoyable for them and make them feel special.

Attention spam is pretty short at that age, so need lots of other things to break it up and distract them from the boredom ;-). Lots of stops for snacks and water and take the time to stop and look at things along the way that normally we would simply walk past as we have seen them a million times, but its all new to them.

Ie funny fungus growing on trees, any odd weird little thing that catches their interest, take the time to stop and talk about it (if they want to)

We had some funny experiences with my kids, and i managed to get plenty of pics and some video footage of some of it, and its so precious looking back at it now.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Yep i did this with my kids when i first took them up the hills. We were walking along in the middle of the bush and i said to my daughter (about 5 then) how would you like a hot choc/fluffy, she looked at me oddly, then said yeah sure dad i'd love one, but how?

So we stopped, I pulled my gas stove from my bag, and proceeded to boil up some water and make her a hot choc, even had choc sprinkles and mashmallows. She was blown away, and absolutely loved it.

I also take a piece of closed cell foam mat cut to fit down inside the back of my pack, i use it for sitting on when sitting glassing etc, so i gave her that to sit down on. Sometimes it's just the little things that make it all that much more enjoyable for them and make them feel special.

Attention spam is pretty short at that age, so need lots of other things to break it up and distract them from the boredom ;-). Lots of stops for snacks and water and take the time to stop and look at things along the way that normally we would simply walk past as we have seen them a million times, but its all new to them.

Ie funny fungus growing on trees, any odd weird little thing that catches their interest, take the time to stop and talk about it (if they want to)

We had some funny experiences with my kids, and i managed to get plenty of pics and some video footage of some of it, and its so precious looking back at it now.

Enjoy.
    Yeah its lots of fun regardless. Izzy spent a fair bit of time considering the saplings for suitability come Christmas time
    Name:  8163F1BE-52D0-4AFC-B348-D93C01EF9C36.jpeg
Views: 135
Size:  7.43 MB
    Freezer, GWH, Micky Duck and 4 others like this.