Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Hunting Oddities

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    I sat down on a hill in the middle of nowhere one day for a breather, and felt something sharp . Sat on a old as 303 prjectile . Made me wonder if it was a miss or kill maybe 50 years befor me
    Finally found its mark!
    veitnamcam, Munsey and ishoot10s like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I have seen/shot a few animals with 3 legs:
    Shot one old Chamois buck with damaged shoulder from bullet wound
    Shot One Chamois Buck with broken front leg.
    Shot 2 red hinds with 3 legs. Seen another one shot.
    Seen a big billy goat with 3 legs.
    Seen a big old bull Tahr that a mate shot with a broken back leg(top of femur) bloody tough old bull.
    Shot a rabbit with 3 legs,and seen another my brother shot that was riddled with shot gun pellets.

And shot my first Chamois with a shotgun while hunting rabbits in Matagari

So all in all there are piss poor shots out there. some ones really good at wounding animals.
    Munsey likes this.

In my time, I have owned three deer rifles. A shitty ole .30-06, a .270 and now my .308
    On all three, the first deer I shot at I missed!
    30-06 was an easy shot but my first ever red so panicked haha.
    .270 was a fallow (yes, bit big I know but at the time seemed like a good choice being a young fulla), and easy easy shot and stuffed that one.
    .308 was a sika stag bounding through some scrub in a private block. Safe shot but at 270m it wasn't easy.

R93
    I am just Odd..............
    7mmsaum and Gibo like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Oh yeah....waking up in Fox Glacier with a deer hock on the wing mirror on my car. Couldnt even remember shooting it! Eh R93 ;-)

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingWings View Post
    Oh yeah....waking up in Fox Glacier with a deer hock on the wing mirror on my car. Couldnt even remember shooting it! Eh R93 ;-)
    What car? Wasnt me!

Silver impreza, I know it was you!
    I think it was intended for Martins car hHaHaha

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingWings View Post
    Silver impreza, I know it was you!
    I think it was intended for Martins car hHaHaha
    Ahh! That car.
    WhistlingWings likes this.

R93
    Out for hunt with a mate one day when I spied a spiker peering out of some flax and scrub about 80yrds away. All I could see of him, was from his eyes up, looking straight at us.
    My cobber stopped as I did and backed off a little when I raised the rifle for the shot.
    I squeezed off a round and the wee 55gr slug found it mark with a loud slap. My cobber reckoned he seen the top of the skull fly off.
    Confident the animal was pole-axed and we were only 5 mins into the walk, my mate decided to sit and have a smoke.
    I was in no hurry either as I seen the same sight picture countless times, usually with the same result.

We started to head over to the animal and found the going was hampered with swamp, blackberry and deep holes. Took us another 10 minutes to cover the eighty yards to the deer which, on arrival appeared to have collapsed as you would expect, with a bullet to the scone.
    We were stoked as it was a short carry/drag back to the truck and even more a bonus as the animal was in prime condition and would fetch us around $120 bucks each, after tax.

I casually went to poke it in the eye to confirm it was dead thru habit with the rifle barrel, when it blinked!......Fark! It shouldnt blink! At the same time my cobber was leaning down to grab a spike to stick it.
    The words "Its blinking" were barely out of my mouth just when my mate grabbed it by a spike and he gave a wee girly squeal when the fucker stood up!
    The look on my mates face was priceless, just as it knocked me over backwards and bounded off with great ease, considering the terrain, and that my portly mate was hanging on for dear life.

I proceeded to crack up uncontrollably, which did not help the situation much. My mate was not too happy being dragged around by an irrate spiker, through gorse, blackberry and swamp, all while being kicked heaps and rather hard by panicking hooves.
    He eventually managed to gain some control and pulled it back down to the ground. He stuck it, and sat on it till it expired. I dropped my rifle when it knocked me over and was laughing to hard to find it so I could not finish it properly if I had the chance, anyway.
    I also didnt like the look of the route I would have to take, to assist him.

The projectile creased the top of the skull dead center between the spikes knocking the poor bugger out for a bit. He would have certainly lived I reckon, had my mate not played rugby with him.
    My cobber reckons to this day I owe him a bigger cut of the profits from that animal.
    Dundee, ebf, Toby and 1 others like this.

Fulla
    wtf, photoshop?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Were you aiming at the neck each time?
    Mostly aimed at the head.
    They've all been taken in the bush and my Tikka's zeroed in @ 100m, and the greatest distance i've shot a deer is 20m max.
    Gibo likes this.

Name:  Tauherenikau Sep 2012 - 21 - Sign at Foot of Block XVI Track.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  1.12 MB
    phillipgr likes this.

Found a campsite in the Waioeka's with a carved board which read "Tim & Micks new roar camp", but on the back was carved "Brokeback". I swear I could hear banjo's playing.!!
    Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion

The small ones are ok 308 but watch out when they grow up. Need to hide ya grog.

Many years ago a mate and I were duckshooting, my mate dropped a parrie and its mate came circling back low and slow. Mate fires and misses but we both watched the wad go out and harmlessly bounce off the flying bird as if in slow mo. We both agreed we'll probably never see that again!