Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Hunting packs

Geezus Spanners. I cant even count to 33 on a Friday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    There is no point in going at the lite weight setup half arsed.

Spend $200 to save 1kg on a 60l pack for eg, and you have just added 2kg of gear with the extra room over a smaller heavier 50l

3kg for Shelter, Sleepingbag, sleeping mat, cooker, gas... thats where you'll gain the most IMO. Its not that hard or expensive.
    You dont need 5 changes of clothes.
    I did 3 weeks in the Arctic in Alaska of which 2 were rain and snow on 17kg of gear + tent, gas and food.. comfortably.. I think I can drop some more gear out now also.

dLong gone are the days of 33kg pack with a rifle on 1 side and shotgun on the other and someone helping me into it. Mint you.. i dont carry 250s of shotgun ammo and 2 dozen beers now either LOL

A small pack MAKES you carry less gear
    Is a good point, But if you dont own a pack and there is a 1kg pack that will do the same job as a 3kg pack, might as well go with the lighter pack
    Blaser likes this.

Have you carried full weight in that exped? +35kg?
    If the harness is good then they look perfect.

Although my cascade is heavy, the harness is brilliant for hauling out full loads.

I have a 60L tatonka only used once still pretty much new bit big for what I want. cost me I think $350 if any one interested $200

Check the specs on some of those light weight Exped packs. They are designed for lightweight tramping and can only hold 15 kg. Fine for a few days gear but a little different once you have some meat to carry out.

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Is a good point, But if you dont own a pack and there is a 1kg pack that will do the same job as a 3kg pack, might as well go with the lighter pack
    Completely disagree re weight considderation

Its about strength and load baring when considdering packs i believe. Weight shouldnt be a gauge - unless you say can do everything the same.......

Ive tried a bunch of flimsy ligjt packs and reverted to smaller tough packs (only marginally heavier) and they have always come up trumps

Best i have opted for is the macpak ascent 70L narrow and sit high on your hips and i think the ass is woven kevlar so doesnt wear.

5 years down now and still no issue - alot of straps but allpws you to compressit easily for dau pack use also - one easy wearing tough mother
    Freezer likes this.
    Addicted to gun powder

I have an 80l north face pack in v good condition if anyone wants it, $100

25+kg rating on the lightning 60, which is the standard load rating for a 60L odd hiking pack

Quote Originally Posted by rogers.270 View Post
    Completely disagree re weight considderation

Its about strength and load baring when considdering packs i believe. Weight shouldnt be a gauge - unless you say can do everything the same.......

Ive tried a bunch of flimsy ligjt packs and reverted to smaller tough packs (only marginally heavier) and they have always come up trumps

Best i have opted for is the macpak ascent 70L narrow and sit high on your hips and i think the ass is woven kevlar so doesnt wear.

5 years down now and still no issue - alot of straps but allpws you to compressit easily for dau pack use also - one easy wearing tough mother
    Depends what you want out of it, theres gunna be a trade off in durability in order to go light, but it isnt as big as you might think. modern materials have closed this gap.
    Agreed about load bearing, which is why I chose the exped as it is rated very well there. Obviously you dont want to throw 25 kg of gear into a frameless UL pack. It carries weight better than the one it replaced which was 3 + KG.

Eventually I will drop some cash on a modular pack system like a stone glacier, so I can have my cakae and eat it too.

Macpac Torre. 25 years going strong. Plenty of trips made chokka with gear and meat and only ever had to replace one strap. Will these super light packs still be in good condition after 2 decades of punishment???

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Depends what you want out of it, theres gunna be a trade off in durability in order to go light, but it isnt as big as you might think. modern materials have closed this gap.
    Agreed about load bearing, which is why I chose the exped as it is rated very well there. Obviously you dont want to throw 25 kg of gear into a frameless UL pack. It carries weight better than the one it replaced which was 3 + KG.

Eventually I will drop some cash on a modular pack system like a stone glacier, so I can have my cakae and eat it too.
    Mate im an imported gear whore

Still not sold on UL or L packs - if you ethically kill/butcher a red/fallow or haul a full tahr cape and head in a full kit bag and then tell me the UL gear is as tough, comfy, hard wearing and reliable id have to question your sanity

Ok for a day or two hunt but this dudes talking a 3-4 day hunt ie full expedition.

General UL or L gear, thats great love that but like boots i personally believe under investment for strength in a back is stupid - blow a strap out at 1000 with $5k plus worth of gear in it on dusk and youll see the light
    Addicted to gun powder

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    One planet traverse 38l, made in aus. Pretty tight for 3-4 days but can be done so long as you don't carry too much crap. And when I shoot something there's plenty of straps to carry clothes etc on the outside to make room for the meat. Not too heavy at 1400grams
    Cant go wrong with a One Planet, I use a One Planet McMillan 80l, would have to be the most comfortable will made pack I have had, runs rings around the macpacs I have had, and plenty of room for a big load out!

Quote Originally Posted by Freezer View Post
    I have an 80l north face pack in v good condition if anyone wants it, $100
    Im keen to take a look mate.... im in the same town even
    A silly fuk is better than a serious wank

Quote Originally Posted by rogers.270 View Post
    Mate im an imported gear whore

Still not sold on UL or L packs - if you ethically kill/butcher a red/fallow or haul a full tahr cape and head in a full kit bag and then tell me the UL gear is as tough, comfy, hard wearing and reliable id have to question your sanity

Ok for a day or two hunt but this dudes talking a 3-4 day hunt ie full expedition.

General UL or L gear, thats great love that but like boots i personally believe under investment for strength in a back is stupid - blow a strap out at 1000 with $5k plus worth of gear in it on dusk and youll see the light
    Guess time will tell, Gimp has used ones at alpine chasing tahr I believe, so he is probably the best person to attest as to the durability.

"Have you carried full weight in that exped? +35kg? " =nope, but i did carry 7kg all up on my back for two days(biv-mat-sleep bag-cooker-food-emergency gear-clothes), and boy was it an eye opener in comparison to carrying at least 14kg every other trip.
    secondly i never intend loading with 35 kg, mostly because i cant. Reason i bought the Exped pack is, the way my knees are i can see i have limited hunting life left. if i can make it easier to be out there, and a consequence means i need to think harder about loads, then so be it. For me its a choice between being able to go or not- more so as time goes on.

I seem to remember a few of the more experienced hunters on the forums stating "the basic on your back gear is same- you just add more food and wipe for extended trips"