Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Hunting packs

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Has anyone considered or tried any of the Aarn packs?Aarn backpacks, tents, lightweight load carrying
    A mate of mine 'Grunter' on the other forum has one and really rates it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Im prety sure you can buy the frontbag thingies to use with standard packs, be a decent way to bump the capacity of your current system
    I met a family out tramping when I was hunting and the guy swore by his front bags for redistributing the weight more evenly - they looked like the biz so there's a vote for it out in the field

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    I met a family out tramping when I was hunting and the guy swore by his front bags for redistributing the weight more evenly - they looked like the biz so there's a vote for it out in the field
    Depends how you harness your binos
    Addicted to gun powder

After a bit of research I'm ordering an EXO 3500.... Reviews are top notch.
    @ 1.87kgs and 3500ci = about 57L but reports are that the full load out with all the pockets included is closer to 7000ci 114l (maxed). 3500 ci bag and lid, 1000 ci exterior pockets, 2500 ci load shelf area and can be compressed down to a small day pack size

Yeah fricken pricey but comparsion test put it way ahead for comfort, durabilty and load carry over similar brands / styles. Hopefully Santa does credit
    Nick-D likes this.
    Ping-Ping and Pew-Pew.
    Mathews Monster 28" @ 60#. X-Bolt .308

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Depends what you want and what is Important to you I suppose.

Im only a short arse with pins in my back, so good fitting harness that carries well is top of my list ( I used a poxy ill fitting pack for a few years, never again ) & It needs to be durable.

My large heavyweight pack is an Eberlestock J34 "just one" pack it's farken heavy ( 3.7 kg ) but carries loads well, has a decent rifle scabbard & is bullet proof, big zips & buckles.

Then I have just brought a Macpac 50lt Cascade, medium weight ( 2.3 kg ) a good basic pack, with a few pockets'n'bits and a decent liberator harness ( but since I have just got it I haven't had a chance to give it a decent test ) should be a nice al rounder.

And my Lightweight pack is a NZ made Cactus Miklat 40lt ( 1 kg ) this thing is awesome, it's tough, nice'n'basic and really well made. Even though it has a fixed length harness & basic none padded hip belt, It fits me spot on & carries well. On Monday I carried out two full back legs & back steaks ( around 18-20 kg ) & at least 5 kgs of other gear & it did the job very well, plus didn't need to worry about it pulling stitches or ripping pushing through the leatherwood.

If ya want to go real LW but still keep strength, Miklat is my pick
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by rogers.270 View Post
    Depends how you harness your binos
    Or shoulder your rifle?
    rogers.270 likes this.

MSL
    A front back might balance the load but it is very limiting/restrictive.

MSL
    ...pack not back

i just brought a macpac torre which is 80l, took it on its first trip last weekend and it was great. was the only pack i could find that felt like it was made properly and will last.
    rogers.270 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipo View Post
    Depends what you want and what is Important to you I suppose.

Im only a short arse with pins in my back, so good fitting harness that carries well is top of my list ( I used a poxy ill fitting pack for a few years, never again ) & It needs to be durable.

My large heavyweight pack is an Eberlestock J34 "just one" pack it's farken heavy ( 3.7 kg ) but carries loads well, has a decent rifle scabbard & is bullet proof, big zips & buckles.

Then I have just brought a Macpac 50lt Cascade, medium weight ( 2.3 kg ) a good basic pack, with a few pockets'n'bits and a decent liberator harness ( but since I have just got it I haven't had a chance to give it a decent test ) should be a nice al rounder.

And my Lightweight pack is a NZ made Cactus Miklat 40lt ( 1 kg ) this thing is awesome, it's tough, nice'n'basic and really well made. Even though it has a fixed length harness & basic none padded hip belt, It fits me spot on & carries well. On Monday I carried out two full back legs & back steaks ( around 18-20 kg ) & at least 5 kgs of other gear & it did the job very well, plus didn't need to worry about it pulling stitches or ripping pushing through the leatherwood.

If ya want to go real LW but still keep strength, Miklat is my pick
    Yeah I was tossing up between that and the huntech 40L job for an day/overnighter/hunt on the move pack, ended up going the huntech after reading some solid reviews but the miklat was a very close second. The Twin needle mini me is similar also but was a tad smaller.

We're the reviews on the new 40l huntech Chinese made or the nz made?? I have the nz made ok one and love it, great for bush hunting, also have the miklat which is good for the open country

Hamish

Sent from my E2353 using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Got a 90L K2 hunter absolutely massive but nothing worse than having a pack that is too full. Is very comfy when its loaded up have had 30 plus kgs of meat in it and hasn't been an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    We're the reviews on the new 40l huntech Chinese made or the nz made?? I have the nz made ok one and love it, great for bush hunting, also have the miklat which is good for the open country

Hamish

Sent from my E2353 using Tapatalk
    Probably the NZ ones now that I think about it. I gave the CHinese made ones a bloody good going over before I bought it and its very well finished, not a seam out of place. Assuming they use the same materials should be good.

While it is a much more basic design than the equivelent size hunters element or stoney creek, it seemed to be finished to a much higher quality than either the SC or the HE packs, which both has shoddy stitching and loose threads

ruin your shoulders with a heavy load too
    #BallisticFists

Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    ruin your shoulders with a heavy load too
    all good if you dont shoot anything ah
    kiwijames likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz