Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Hunting vs Shooting

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post

If modern toys allow us to kill beyond the range of a deers sight, smell, and hearing is it still a stalk????

You and I have faced this question before 'R 93' whereas most on here I bet have not.

Is a trophy taken from a helicopter still a trophy???

Does morality have a place in the modern day hunters armoury at all????

I personally have never taken a trophy class deer from a machine as a shooter or pilot. No. It I do not consider it to be a trophy. I have seen my fair share of stags that would go well over the DS considered the minimum standard, left for another day and another hunter.
    I have also unfortunately seen plenty hung in a chiller with their antlers both hard and soft thrown aside to be sold later.
    However the fact that I do not consider that a trophy animal shot from a machine is a trophy does not mean, it is not a trophy to someone else. Each to their own I say, and if it is done legally, I do not consider it my business, even if I think they are fooling themselves.
    veitnamcam and Dougie like this.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I personally have never taken a trophy class deer from a machine as a shooter or pilot. No. It I do not consider it to be a trophy. I have seen my fair share of stags that would go well over the DS considered the minimum standard, left for another day and another hunter.
    I have also unfortunately seen plenty hung in a chiller with their antlers both hard and soft thrown aside to be sold later.
    However the fact that I do not consider that a trophy animal shot from a machine is a trophy does not mean, it is not a trophy to someone else. Each to their own I say, and if it is done legally, I do not consider it my business, even if I think they are fooling themselves.

A well thought out answer here 'R 93.

I am not adopting the moral high ground over this.

These are moral challenges that people do face.

Should the "Big four" be open to competing helicopter crews???

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    A well thought out answer here 'R 93.

I am not adopting the moral high ground over this.

These are moral challenges that people do face.

Should the "Big four" be open to competing helicopter crews???
    No way! If participants have anything to do with machines or game parks they should not be allowed to enter for the prizes.
    I always have a chuckle at how some really massive deer that would exceed 150+ kgs gutted with some puney person standing beside the thing always manage to find their way to the weigh in.
    I have handled plenty of deer that size and find it a struggle sometimes just to gut them let alone friggin carry. TBH they are few and far between in the wild yet they are always at a comp. Go figure.

I would not classify the shooting of an animal as long range "shooting" I would put it in a genre of Long Range Hunting and any shooting of an animal at close range I.E in the bush as traditional hunting. Far as I am concerned shooting is punching holes in paper or smacking gongs at long distance. If anyone wishes to differ then go for it cos like Greg I ain't going to enter a handbag slinging match over it.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    nailed it right there Mate.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Spoken like a true shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Your hunting till you find something to shoot. Once you find something, y
    So was this a premature ejeculation

Dont think i have but Im a bit deaf and could well have missed it

I like shooting stuff. But I have to find it first. Unless I'm target shooting. Then I'm not hunting.

Hunting and shooting were the same until the internet was invented. Then forums were created so that people, who will never meet, could slag the shit out of each other...

Interesting thread Greg, did my comment in the spotlighting deer thread inspire it?

For me personally and it is only an opinion, hunting is the satisfaction of out witting the animal in its own environment.
    For me nothing beats seeing animals in the bush,whether I shoot them or not is nether here nor there unless the freezer is empty.
    But the freezer is rarely empty. Usually a mate will want to go for a lamp on such and such a property for some steak.
    Lamping(or spotlighting) do I enjoy it? hell yes I love seeing 10 or 20 deer over a night( or even 1 !) and passing them over till I find a spiker(at the land owners request ) in a nice findable position. But to me its not "hunting"
    The walk we went on not that long ago Greg where we got a deer each was a great day out,"traditional tops hunting" dont get me wrong I enjoyed having a mate along,the walk ,the view(mostly the view dont get much of that bush stalking) But if we had gone 200m down from the wagon in the bush and got a deer there where it is heavily 1080d and spotlighted and pig hunted with dogs I would have felt that little bit better.
    With a suitable weapon and good conditions that spot over the gully where the "others" were would be in range from where I got that stag. Would that be hunting? Yea it would be in my mind. If you could take that shot with 90 % certainty then yea. you v beaten the wind and there vision, walked 3 hours to get in position, another two to three hours to recover and another 2 3 hours out.
    If I had the gear and skills to do that(and I dont) I would take huge satisfaction from eating that steak/salami/sausages and the hunt itself.
    I have shot a lot of deer in the lamp and still do shoot the occasional one, But if that was all I ever did and called it hunting(big game) Id hope someone would give me a dam good slapping.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post

Tell me, if a deer is shot in the woods and there is there is no photo essay on a forum, did it really die?
    & was it shot by a shooter or a hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    & was it shot by a shooter or a hunter
    and was it shot during daylight hours or under the light

I believe the answer lies in the tape measure.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    I believe the answer lies in the tape measure.
    It always comes back to the phallus with you, eh Sneeze?