Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree49Likes
  • 27 Post By cally woo
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Friwi
  • 1 Post By stug
  • 3 Post By Kelton
  • 5 Post By RUMPY
  • 4 Post By MB
  • 1 Post By MB
  • 1 Post By Slug
  • 1 Post By Inder
  • 1 Post By cally woo
  • 1 Post By cally woo
  • 1 Post By Scouser
  • 1 Post By cally woo

Thread: Just got my first animal ever! (Bow hunting)

cally woo

Just got my first animal ever! (Bow hunting)

Have been practicing for the last 8 months with my bow. I am new to hunting. I spooked a mob of goats up a stream like 3 different times (was moving too fast and not stopping to check my surroundings enough. Classic) I was on the way back and was not expecting anything but managed to spot the mob again. I took my shoes off and dropped my pack and crawled into a range I was comfortable with. Ranged in at 26 meters which is a shot I have done hundreds of times. kneeling shot. drew back and took ages for my pin to get onto the sweet spot. Drew back, and release. Saw the arrow hit right behind the front leg. Waited 15 mins and looked for a blood trail for a good 30 minutes and couldn't find anything but managed to find the billy about 15 metres away in the bush. Pink blood, right behind the leg. Mid way up. I was super happy with my shot placement but was definitely disappointed that there was no big blood trail. I am just lucky it didn't go far. Anyway, it was an exciting experience and I am so happy that I have proved to myself that I can actually do it. I'm stoked. Any tips would be great but I'm more just sharing because my missus wouldn't understand the endeavour.
    madjon_, Trout, Brian and 24 others like this.

good stuff...the first animal is always one you remember...after shot,watch and listen,you will sometimes hear animal fall and start kicking...gives you idea of where to start looking....if you had no blood..posibly hit the heart...no pump=no pumping.
    cally woo likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Congratulation, the first kill with a bow is always an awesome and intense moment.

From what you describe, you did everything right.
    My tip for you , regarding your concern with the small volume of blood, is keep your broadheads super sharp.
    The last goat I shot at 40m did only 10m and died within 10 secondes barely feeling the arrow passing through. ( double blade ,single bevel helix broadhead).
    That crazy guy has some good tips on sharpening :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PlosIlPTsY
    cally woo likes this.

Well done! The blood won’t leak out until the chest area has filled up. If it had run further you probably would have started finding blood, but it often takes a while for it to flow. Generally the lower the bit in the chest the faster you will see blood.
    cally woo likes this.

Well done I to shot my first animal with a bow this week and same story really it made it 12 or 15 mtrs and was crumpled up in the bush only blood was on the arrow was a buzz alright
    stug, Micky Duck and cally woo like this.

Well done, anyone who can take an animal with a bow is doing well in my book.
    Micky Duck, MB, vulcannz and 2 others like this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    Well done, anyone who can take an animal with a bow is doing well in my book.
    Yeah, I struggle with a rifle
    308, Shearer, turtle and 1 others like this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by cally woo View Post
    Have been practicing for the last 8 months with my bow. I am new to hunting. I spooked a mob of goats up a stream like 3 different times (was moving too fast and not stopping to check my surroundings enough. Classic) I was on the way back and was not expecting anything but managed to spot the mob again. I took my shoes off and dropped my pack and crawled into a range I was comfortable with. Ranged in at 26 meters which is a shot I have done hundreds of times. kneeling shot. drew back and took ages for my pin to get onto the sweet spot. Drew back, and release. Saw the arrow hit right behind the front leg. Waited 15 mins and looked for a blood trail for a good 30 minutes and couldn't find anything but managed to find the billy about 15 metres away in the bush. Pink blood, right behind the leg. Mid way up. I was super happy with my shot placement but was definitely disappointed that there was no big blood trail. I am just lucky it didn't go far. Anyway, it was an exciting experience and I am so happy that I have proved to myself that I can actually do it. I'm stoked. Any tips would be great but I'm more just sharing because my missus wouldn't understand the endeavour.
    Did you go to the area we discussed via PM or somewhere different?
    cally woo likes this.

Congrats
    cally woo likes this.

Well done, congrats on your first animal.

Was arrow a passthrough? Though I have no practical experience but I guess I have watched every possible video and read everything available on net regarding bow hunting . If the arrow is passthrough then wound channel get covered by skin when animal is running and you will only see few drops of blood at an interval distance. Only when animal stops and his chest cavity gets filled blood starts flowing out and you will see puddles.
    cally woo likes this.

cally woo
    @MB I just arrived in ohakune late afternoon yesterday so needed somewhere quicker. Checked the big clearings in erua up middle road at about 630 last night. A lot of pig sign and some old deer sign. I'm going on a mission into your spot today. I'll let you know how it goes I'm also wondering if rangataua is worth a sneak around? Thanks
    MB likes this.

cally woo
    Yeah full passthrough. Great info thanks mayte
    Inder likes this.

Well done mate
    cally woo likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

cally woo
    @MB I completed the morning mish out to your spot sent via DM. I thought you were having me on until I passed that first stream towards the end of the trail. Managed to pick up a fresh trail of an animal right on the track until I reached the lookout. Continued along the orange path and just on that first ridge past the lookout was a boat load of poo and fresh ones from the one I was following. Didn't end up catching up with him but I also realised that Ive been hunting and hiking so much in the past week that I didn't really give it a proper chance (sore body all over). Fair to say there are definitely animals in there and that I would have just missed one. Might check in the rangataua tonight or tomorrow. Thanks mate
    MB likes this.