Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Kaimais

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Dogs are generally not allowed, but you can get a hunting permit for your dog from the Tauranga DOC office. South of SH29 they need a kiwi aversion certificate.
    The dog permit is separate to your hunting permit, and is only valid if you have a current hunting permit. It lasts for up to 12 months (I think July to June?).

Cool, cheers

Seen plenty of dogs up there over the years. Everytime I'm up there I bump into a few.. and not once have i bumped into a doc ranger as such.. if you'd dogs well behaved/trained and doesnt go wandering off on it's own, then I'd say you wouldn't have anything to worry about taking him/her with you?

Gone but not forgotten
    One area of public land I hunt is no dogs allowed, but I see heaps of trampers with dogs. Some days I see more dogs than trampers. No signage saying no dogs, and I bet trampers don't check the DOC website, so most wouldn't know. It doesn't bother me at all, they stick to the walking track, so it doesn't affect my hunting.

Regarding the Kaimais, all it takes to get a dog permit (for north of SH29) is an email, so why wouldn't you?
    Shadowsol likes this.

Shot a stag before xmass and spiker up there just before lock down did alot of hunting around whakamaramara area in last few years not so much any more

I went up today from the summit. Was more to stretch my legs and my lungs. 1st time up there for me. Had an easy hunt planned with a southerly blowing up my ass on the way in.

Found a spot to pop off the track and just followed the game trails, eventually they took me to where i wanted to be to hunt back into the wind. The wind along the ridge tends to swirl a bit. But i found plenty of sign. Really old, Old, Recent, and super fresh. It was nice to be back in the bush.
    Steve123 and Shadowsol like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Projects View Post
    I went up today from the summit. Was more to stretch my legs and my lungs. 1st time up there for me. Had an easy hunt planned with a southerly blowing up my ass on the way in.

Found a spot to pop off the track and just followed the game trails, eventually they took me to where i wanted to be to hunt back into the wind. The wind along the ridge tends to swirl a bit. But i found plenty of sign. Really old, Old, Recent, and super fresh. It was nice to be back in the bush.
    We were up there on Saturday as well, no deer found, lots of sign about - awesome day for it. Was pretty disappointed to see a few carcasses dumped off the side of the bridge at the car park we walked in from... (back legs and back steaks gone) heaps of hikers go in there and that kind of thing doesn't give hunters a good image with the public
    Projects likes this.

Spent the weekend up there with 2 mates, me and one of them pulled a yearling each out. Came across a few carcasses and also a dead hind on the edge of a clearing that looked like it had been neck shot then just left where it fell untouched. Quite strange unless it had been hit and ran onto the clearing and died there. Was in plain view so would've been an easy find

Place was crawling with quad bikes as well and heard probably 15 shots go off for 3 days including a bunch in the night sl

Quote Originally Posted by piwakawaka View Post
    Place was crawling with quad bikes as well and heard probably 15 shots go off for 3 days including a bunch in the night sl
    Thompson's? Heard of a guy going up with a thermal the other night and banging 2 stags over.

Na eastern side further south. From my time up thompsons I'd say every weekend it gets spotlighted or thermalled. But still lots of deer around there in the bush

Sounds like its choka with deer, goverment wants to spend a few million on pest control.
    I'm just theorizing that this place is teaming with pests.

Is the place over ran with possums ?
    .... could be a good opportunity for fur pluckers to get involved.

Probably. Never been 1080d to my knowledge.
    Not that much bird life up there in my experience.
    A bit of pest control wouldn't hurt. So long as they leave the deer alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    Probably. Never been 1080d to my knowledge.
    Not that much bird life up there in my experience.
    A bit of pest control wouldn't hurt. So long as they leave the deer alone.
    I'm up there regularly - don't think bird life is a problem, plenty of Kereru, fantails, ducks and others that I cant name.
    Trapping wouldn't hurt i'm sure, maybe getting possum shooters in - would hate to see poison spread in there
    Louie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by piwakawaka View Post
    Na eastern side further south. From my time up thompsons I'd say every weekend it gets spotlighted or thermalled. But still lots of deer around there in the bush
    Was that up behind the dam?...I haven't been up there for years, not since back when they were building it

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsol View Post
    I'm up there regularly - don't think bird life is a problem, plenty of Kereru, fantails, ducks and others that I cant name.
    Trapping wouldn't hurt i'm sure, maybe getting possum shooters in - would hate to see poison spread in there
    They intend to poison to eradicate the wallabies so will bomb it from one end to the other...I have lived here for close on 30 years and never seen one.