Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree993Likes

Thread: Kaimanawa Forest Park

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    With comments like that, a acetylene torch could be YOUR worst enemy going forward.
    What goes around comes around.
    Maybe ? Can tell you one thing if I was still living up there and that was my local hunting area I wouldnt be lying down and taking that rubbish.
    Russian 22. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 888 View Post
    Looking at photo number 1, you couldn't just drive around the right hand structure in a 4WD?
    At a glance last time I drove past the gate there was rather large concrete structures to the side. Maybe power poles or something to that extent laying down

There's numerous ways around that gate location, but that's not the point: the roads on Crown land. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    There's numerous ways around that gate location, but that's not the point: the roads on Crown land. Period.
    Agree and loss of access is/should be a concern to all access to most of NZs public land needs to be increased and improved.
    And at the same time deal to shitheads, they reflect badly on all users be them hunters 4wds trampers or campers.
    The Youtube videos showing dickheads cutting down trees, why weren't they prosecuted.
    10-Ring and Andygr like this.

I wouldn't be so certain about the illegality of the situation. If there was certainty it would be challengeable in court - and that hasn't happened.

What has really surprised me is the ambivalence DOC, the Access Commission, Tramping Federation/Fed Mountain Clubs, Taupo Council and NZDA etc have shown towards the situation. I've pretty much talked to and raised it with every outdoors organisation I have contacts with and the answer has been the same. "We are watching the situation, we are concerned, there is other access, there is nothing we can do" ...

Has anyone got an update on if anything positive is happening to get the situation resolved?
    7mmwsm likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Possibly not challenged in court because of the cost.
    Others will know better than me.
    But years ago, I was advised to challenge an irrigation consent issue was $5k to lodge.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

I am guessing that until they actually shut the gate and block access it will be hard to make something stick.
    Tahr likes this.

The ombudsman is involved, with particular regard to TDC's role in the matter. They have been negligent in their responsibilities of maintaining the road, and have made statements both publicly and in meetings that are demonstrably wrong, that they knew were so.
    It looks like the CEO has moved on before his contract is up also, so things are (veeeeert slowly) happening.

My personal belief is that both the Govt and TDC would prefer that the land was given to Iwi, and they could then wash their hands of the matter - "it's private land, nothing to do with us"
    Nick.m, erniec, Woody and 3 others like this.

I think one thing is for certain - If the gate is locked and Helisika get their way it sets an extremely dangerous precedent for ALL back country users. Not just us self-centered hunters.

It will end badly .
    ANTSMAN, Ross Nolan and 300CALMAN like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Nolan View Post
    The ombudsman is involved, with particular regard to TDC's role in the matter. They have been negligent in their responsibilities of maintaining the road, and have made statements both publicly and in meetings that are demonstrably wrong, that they knew were so.
    It looks like the CEO has moved on before his contract is up also, so things are (veeeeert slowly) happening.

My personal belief is that both the Govt and TDC would prefer that the land was given to Iwi, and they could then wash their hands of the matter - "it's private land, nothing to do with us"
    Seems to me that the Ombudsman’s office typically says either ‘nothing to see here’ or on occasion ‘that was wrong’ , with the emphasis on the past tense? And even more rarely ‘ best you apologise’. I’m not aware of examples where the office says ‘back up and undo that’?

Good on you for trying, but I don’t understand how the Ombudsman can unwind this?

Ombudsman can make recommendations to the relavent ministers for action. Apart from that, if public servants have acted innapropriately that PS authority must take action.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I wouldn't be so certain about the illegality of the situation. If there was certainty it would be challengeable in court - and that hasn't happened.

What has really surprised me is the ambivalence DOC, the Access Commission, Tramping Federation/Fed Mountain Clubs, Taupo Council and NZDA etc have shown towards the situation. I've pretty much talked to and raised it with every outdoors organisation I have contacts with and the answer has been the same. "We are watching the situation, we are concerned, there is other access, there is nothing we can do" ...

Has anyone got an update on if anything positive is happening to get the situation resolved?
    Yes, Ive also contacted FMC, NZDA and te herenga (walking access) and got the same response from each: “Lets see how it plays out .”

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Yes, Ive also contacted FMC, NZDA and te herenga (walking access) and got the same response from each: “Lets see how it plays out .”
    I would love to get that response if it was access to the local park or a road to their house.
    Ross Nolan likes this.

Re, the apparrent bs from TDC. The State Services Commissioner is the agency to examine conduct.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Seems to me that the Ombudsman’s office typically says either ‘nothing to see here’ or on occasion ‘that was wrong’ , with the emphasis on the past tense? And even more rarely ‘ best you apologise’. I’m not aware of examples where the office says ‘back up and undo that’?

Good on you for trying, but I don’t understand how the Ombudsman can unwind this?
    Correct. The Ombudsman has no powers of enforcement but can be quite persuasive.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi