Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Kawekas

thanks for the feedback guys. Really good. We will take all of the warm clothes and keep an eye on the weather forecast leading up to next weekend and make a decision as to exactly where we go then. It will be a change of hunting grounds for us and there will no doubt be a lot of lessons learnt. Interesting what was said about them possibly sticking to a height band through winter, and then GPS tracking completeley contridicting that. So I guess my tactic at this stage would be either of the 2 options: 1. If the weather isnt flash we will look toward sticking to the bush, looking into gully heads etc. or 2. If its mint weather we might have a look out in the open on the fringes and see what we find to point the 270 at.

anyway, it's off to the farm today to shoot some targets out to 400m.

Once you have been to the tops, I wont be surprised on your return to hear that you are looking for a belted magnum rifle. I carried a 270 over a lot of open tops and as much as it is a great calibre it doesn't quite have what is needed up there. When practising your long range target shooting try and kid your mate into letting you shoot off his shoulder or carry a stick to support your rifle as you will seldom find the ideal spot to take a prone shot...once you start using belted magnums you will find the shooting off your mates shoulder a once only event.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    It has been stated here that Sika only use the tops to travel, and that there is very little feed.
    My view is that the tops are actually a larder, but the door doesn't open until circa November through to early-ish April. So, if you want to hunt the tops, be there then. Hunt around the bush/tops margin and higher so long as there is feed. Seek out the feed areas. Slips with tutu on them are great during spring and mid summer, and then it hardens off and they don't like it so much.

For the rest of the year, they will be where you find them. I mainly hunt the mid zones, gully heads, and warm bedding areas. But they are very unpredictable, so if I say hunt the North faces during the winter you can bet you will look over and see them on a cold southerly face. Little bastards.
    Excellent Advice.

Warm clothes are essential We had heaps of snow up here in the last few days.