Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Kirkliston (Sth Canty) or Oteake (North Otago) blocks

Kirkliston (Sth Canty) or Oteake (North Otago) blocks

Hey Team
    Im heading up to the lakes on Monday to help my in-laws pack up their caravan for the season. I have the go ahead to head out overnight for an armed walk after I am done.
    I see that the two above blocks are reasonably handy to Aviemore. I havent been into either before, and am just wondering if someone in the know can give me a wee heads up on either block? Im probably leaning towards Kirlkiston as its up the Haka valley and I have seem plenty of fallow up there on private land.

I may have just answered my own question, but still keen on some input if anyone wants to chip in.

Cheers

Cam

Quote Originally Posted by Delphus View Post
    Hey Team
    Im heading up to the lakes on Monday to help my in-laws pack up their caravan for the season. I have the go ahead to head out overnight for an armed walk after I am done.
    I see that the two above blocks are reasonably handy to Aviemore. I havent been into either before, and am just wondering if someone in the know can give me a wee heads up on either block? Im probably leaning towards Kirlkiston as its up the Haka valley and I have seem plenty of fallow up there on private land.

I may have just answered my own question, but still keen on some input if anyone wants to chip in.

Cheers

Cam
    Was in the Kirklistons early December a couple of years ago. Hunting Wallabys. Great trip. Saw lots and shot quite a few. Also saw Pigs, Red Deer, Chamois. Always had a semi-firm plan to return and explore further through there. Will get there one day.
    Access is through private land for which prior permission is needed. Not absolutely certain but maybe no open access there ... ? I think landowners are decent about allowing access.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Yeah looks like Kirkliston is a goer. Some nice country in there.
    Just saw on the DOC website that permission is required. ill give them a bell and see what I can come up with.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Just PM'ed you mate, regarding Kirkliston.

About 10 years ago we went in through the lower easement (got permission off the farm manager, was Lone Star owned at that time) and walked over to Pearson's (?) Hut. Lots of skippies, a few Chukkar and a fantastic Chamois buck (that came home with us). It would be a dead certainty that the Fallow from the front country down by the Waitaki have colonized into the DOC areas by now .,. .

pm'ed you
    "you belong somewhere you feel free"-Tom Petty

Yep I got hold of the farmer and have gained permission to get in there. Now just need to decide what rifle to take. I love popping wallabies, but don’t want to be under-gunned if I do come across a red. Having seen HEAPS of fallow on private land further up the valley I wouldn’t be surprised if there are fallow up there too. My .223 is 1:12 so I’m limited to 55gn rounds, though I would be confident to headshot out to 200m. Wouldn’t want to push it any further though. If I take the .308 I’ll have the firepower for anything, but will get really expensive if I start shooting everything that moves! Decisions decisions!
    Micky Duck likes this.

Yep I got hold of the farmer and have gained permission to get in there. Now just need to decide what rifle to take. I love popping wallabies, but don’t want to be under-gunned if I do come across a red. Having seen HEAPS of fallow on private land further up the valley I wouldn’t be surprised if there are fallow up there too. My .223 is 1:12 so I’m limited to 55gn rounds, though I would be confident to headshot out to 200m. Wouldn’t want to push it any further though. If I take the .308 I’ll have the firepower for anything, but will get really expensive if I start shooting everything that moves! Decisions decisions!
    I took my Tikka T3 30.06 shooting Barnes TTSX 130 gn. Spendy, yes, when the tally gets to 14 Wallabies, plus the tally my son shot too. But, damn, it was one hell of a good time. That's priceless.
    Micky Duck likes this.

NRT
    Went there last winter 308 bro not to many Roos ,pigs chamois and red be prepaid 308 any day

Sent from my Nokia X20 using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck and superdiver like this.

Buy some308 =fmj 147gr anmo from gunworks.About $25=20rds,deadly accurate.It will drop anything out to 300yds.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Take both rifles.

take the 223..... and when you can,find some premium loads for it... just pick your shot ,its going to be pretty open country so any deer hit well will be able to be watched as it does death run,hopefully down towards car LOL. 55GRN IN HEAD/NECK/BOILER ROOM and its going to be a heavy pack...but if you see stag of lifetime at 350 yards you will be kicking yourself,but then again if youve fired 40 rounds at wallabies,big stag should already be in next county.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

NRT
    It's a grunt walk two rifles not a good idea

Sent from my Nokia X20 using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck and superdiver like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Buy some308 =fmj 147gr anmo from gunworks.About $25=20rds,deadly accurate.It will drop anything out to 300yds.
    I could not see anything under that name on gunworks website, can you post a link as that's dirt cheap.

Sent from my hunting cloud using Tapatalk
    Happy Jack.

HJ i havnt looked at Gw for a while,sold out bugger.GC have the Fiochi perfecta 147gr fmj $39/box 20.
    Kelly country $29/20,good ammo for small game under 300yds.
    I still have a few packets , i keep for roos.
    Happy Jack likes this.