Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Lead Free Ammo Laws?

the military wouldnt go there...its a giant leap backwards for them in so many ways....and if they had...we wouldnt be seeing projectile shortages,the military contracts have kept the big players busy.... OTM projectiles was way around laws concerning expanding ammunition for military usage...the use of match ammunition has always been allowed.....

Well if lead hunting projectiles are banned at least we will still have match ammo (some of the best hunting projectiles available ).

At this point nothing would surprise me.
    This govt and the world in general seem hell bent on stopping hunting.....its far more humane to poison or let them starve to death didnt you know.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Easy im using depleated uranium works great
    I'm using the enriched variety, love that "almost critical" glow from the ammo box.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    the military wouldnt go there...its a giant leap backwards for them in so many ways....and if they had...we wouldnt be seeing projectile shortages,the military contracts have kept the big players busy.... OTM projectiles was way around laws concerning expanding ammunition for military usage...the use of match ammunition has always been allowed.....
    No that's not true, look up M855A1.

Year its happened here. There are quite a few reasons.

1 it lines up with the phasing out of shotgun lead.
    2 EU rules.

Not so sure on that article thing mentioned above though.

I wonder how this will affect exports from NZ? WARO shot animals going to germany??!! Might make it interesting form your end because the boys will have to bend to the ban on lead shot game in the EU markets!!
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

so looked up M855A1 so its a steel cored copper jacketed round..... pretty sure you will find the OTM will still be being used for sniping purposes .
    before these new rounds will be ALL that is used.....all the old stocks would need to be used up,there must be billions n billions in storage.

MD - military ammo is lifed and can’t be used after its use by date (even though it’s still perfectly good). When I was in Afghanistan in 2010 the UK ATOs blew up a batch of lifted ammo of various natures and there must have been plenty of it as it nearly blew the roof off our building from 3Km away. A bolt fell from the roof and loads of dust and shit fell down too. I’m guessing the US do the same, so stocks aren’t likely to sit around for decades.

So there still doing that @Spitfire , where I live in the UK there was a load of US bases around here as it was one of the main jump off points for the D-Day invasion.
    Anyway when there where 2 accidental explosion near Savernake woods.
    Lord Cardigan has a big house up there call Tottenwhich has the biggest brass conservatory. Also the local village is close plus the church. The blast blew out all the windows!
    Shame really as it was ment to be really somthing, also the church hap some lovley stain glass in it.

Heres a link which is an interesting read.

Ramsbury at War

We walk the dog in there all the time. Loads of craters we walk past that hut. Ill get a pic next time im in there. Thats a lot of Acorns that you could store in there!!
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    so looked up M855A1 so its a steel cored copper jacketed round..... pretty sure you will find the OTM will still be being used for sniping purposes .
    before these new rounds will be ALL that is used.....all the old stocks would need to be used up,there must be billions n billions in storage.
    See comments below re best before dates. Yes there are still OTM being used but in significantly lower quantities and let's not forget 9mm, shotgun and 22. But the military is way ahead of us in the lead free path.