Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Long range kill damage

I will add some pics as to show what I have to help those that want to know.... None are all that far away as my longer shots are on goats and usualy done on distruction orders so not much meat is gathered and its only the close ones that are easy to get too

7mm 180 VLD with a impact speed of around 2600 fps ( smallish pig )

In hole circled, this animal was on the run and shot at 110 mtrs, the bullet went through the leg bone then had about a 2" hole in to the rib cage and a 6"+ exit on the other side of the rib cage, heart distroyed so only carried on through momentum.

Will post them as I find them...
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

exit of an 6mm 87gr Vmax on a fallow at 250 yards shot by my son...I put one in its head strait after as it was still moving but as his took out the back bone and some vitals it wasn't going to be moving long..... quite a violent pill to use and would not shoot a red deer in the shoulder with one but goats yes....

Neck shot goat with the same pill... The neck was quite hollow..... only had to cut the skin to remove it, only 80 odd yards

this goat was 326 yards away and was shot in one leg, through the ribs and out the other leg... with the legs hanging down it does show the rib damage but 2" in and 4" out hole... again the 87gr Vmax

Last edited by leathel; 09-10-2012 at 05:36 PM.
    Toby likes this.

sturg4
    Please yourself. I prefer to downplay the gore in every which way I can. I well remember some Greenpeace members getting some shots once of a seal that was quite obviously dead but still kicking. It was being skinned when the film was shot. Those shots went right around the world in a matter of days and did the industry no end of harm. My daughters came home from school nearly in tears after hearing about it these live seals that were being skinned.

Now no amount of logic ever made any difference after that. No sane person is ever going to try to skin a live seal they bite worse than a dog...Can you even imagine someone trying to skin a live possums.

Mutilation...and that is what we are talking here conjurers up thoughts of goings on out in the bush that are not quite kosher.

Look at the dramatization of events even in our own newspapers....Man kills cat and uses it as a football. Killing a cat is no problem and quite legal but the fact he didnt want to touch it and so he kicked it into the rubbish hole becomes the problem.

What I am trying to say it is not the act of killing, we all know what goes on, lets not glorify it though, lets be careful of the remarks that go with that act. Check Tobys remarks. I wasnt growling at him I was just a bit uncomfortable about where Toby was taking the discussion ...The evidence was graphic enough

Scribe I get where you are coming from but also see Tussocks side as well, I chose to post these.... and the ones I am still looking for

This is entry damage of a 7mm 140 Accubond @ around 3K entry on the back at around 250 yards... the exit was down through between the front leggs (I was up high compared to the deer) but I have no pics of the exit

Not not much damage to the actual steak being the bullet held togeather better......

sturg4
    Dont worry "leathel" my remarks were not aimed at you posts I was answering "Tussock" and your post came in between the two of us.

Those V-maxs seem to be good from that picture,
    VIVA LA HOWA

Exit 7mm 140VLD @ around 60 yards and around 3200fps.... note not one exit hole, bullet blew to bits

goat again same pills but around 300 yards

front leg on this one is factory 308 150 corelokts..... dont know the speeds

Well that all I have on photobucket...dont have the time to upload more ATM, Have a pig in the fridge shot with a 270 140 AB that should have the pill still in it as I saw no exit hole so when I carve it up tomorrow I will take some pics

Sweet, Thank you for sharing
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Those V-maxs seem to be good from that picture,
    they expand well but if you hit a solid Red bone or pig sheild they may not penatrate.... but very good for goats and lighter animals at most ranges

How cheap are they? The seem like something I would like but im pretty tight.
    VIVA LA HOWA

130ttsx 30 cal impact velocity 2250fps

I cant find my other pics but can say the almost total lack of bruising is tippical They are like a super apple corer cutting a dead straight hole threw anything in there path.

A high lung shot on a small broadside red a while back cut a neat 50mm hole threw both lungs and dropped it on the spot. shot was a little higher than i would have liked but still didnt bruise the back steaks or shoulders at all.

If you want to eat right up to the hole highly recommend them but not for long range past about 400 depending on cal etc
    Last edited by veitnamcam; 09-10-2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Sp[elling
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    How cheap are they? The seem like something I would like but im pretty tight.
    well tight and effective dont allways go together..... but they are actually quite well priced as they come in 100 count boxes... were as the 90gr ballistic tips I used to use came is 50's and weren't that much cheaper. The 90's worked well to 450 yards out of my rig (actaualy drops them better at 400 than 100), Vmax kills better a bit further due to better expansion

Exit wound from a goat shot at about 50yds running diagonally towards me. 55gr Hornady training (.223) shot out of 16" bbl AR. Dropped on the spot. Have had inconsistent experience with this ammo. Doesn't seem to do the business at times even with well placed shots. Longest kill I have got with it is just over 350m (multiple kills actually). Well, I shot one at 400m a couple times but it limped off into the scrub.

I will add that one mans perfect performance is another mans blow up or pencil threw.
    How you want a bullet to perform is a very personal thing.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

L.R
    Name:  IMG_0292.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  788.3 KB

Red Hind shot behind the shoulder with 300 Berger @600m muzzle velocity 2840. Lots of meat damage from the shock, exit wound 1.5".