Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Long range kill damage

Banned
    I would try hard to close a gap on a animal so i dont waste so much meat as its what helps feed my kids! some of the pics here have wasted some good meat.IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    I would try hard to close a gap on a animal so i dont waste so much meat as its what helps feed my kids! some of the pics here have wasted some good meat.IMO
    This is true, but then again they get to go hunting again faster
    VIVA LA HOWA

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Fair enough too. If I close the gap when using my 338 it increases the meat damage... unless its headshot... In saying that, I have a much smaller pop gun that I hunt close with for the same reason you point out...
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    Thats a fair comment, hit them behind the shoulders broad side on through the ribs & no meat loss.

I would rather have a big mess on the ground in front of me, than bugger all mess running around.....

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by The Claw View Post
    Bull Tahr @ 820m. Impact velocity 2,340fps. 300gr SMK. Broke both shoulders, projectile came to rest under skin on off side. Entry side first, then exit.
    Attachment 3667Attachment 3668

I'll let you decide if it dropped on the spot... tahr at 820m (med).m4v - YouTube

I have another photo of an exit wound on a nannie @ 650m but its not pretty so I'm not putting it up...

I have seen that photo looks like a hand grenade got put in it
    like a home made bomb in a letter box oh the days
    PerazziSC3 likes this.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    Mutilation...and that is what we are talking here conjurers up thoughts of goings on out in the bush that are not quite kosher.
    So I presume you shoot all your animals in the eye with a FMJ at 'the' distance where it doesnt over penetrate, or under penetrate?

Can you advise that distance and the point of aim that results in no 'mutilation'?

Re: Long range kill damage

Watch an episode of our world where two lions are holding down a zebra while the rest of them eat it arse first while its alive:eek: thats mutilation. What we do is quite possibly the nicest death on the planet. Greenies antihunters ect need a strong cup of h.t.f.u and start worring about something worth while. Its farfetched and unrealistic to think animals are killed without blood and or guts.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    falconhell likes this.

there is something nice about a neck shot deer with the whole body undamaged meat to eat.
    then on the other hand if you hit the neck bone at under 100m it nearly completly removes a fallow hinds head. very messy. 243 caliber 80gr soft points.
    CreepingDeath likes this.

I like neck shots for the reasons listed. The Mrs is comfortable taking neck shots to 300 yards and has taken a few around that range now

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    So I presume you shoot all your animals in the eye with a FMJ at 'the' distance where it doesnt over penetrate, or under penetrate?

Can you advise that distance and the point of aim that results in no 'mutilation'?
    Cut the crap "spanners" it doesnt matter a damn what I think really does it. Posting pictures on here of goats with their guts shot out and mutilated deer shows we have very little respect for the animals we shoot or what other people think of what we do

A few months back I posted a thread on shooting a deer....How we should just spend a minute sitting next to touching and admiring the animal we have shot. Take another minute to wonder which set of mountains he/she was born in and contemplate the twists and turns of the animals journey to meet you here on this spot in the Forest where you have taken its life. There seemed to be a general agreement at the time about the need to show more respect for the animals.

Do you really shoot a deer and sit next to it and think about it? I dont do that, not saying theres anything wrong with that its your choice but I am normally happy as anything cause I managed to shoot a deer. The only sitting and thinking is after its gutted and how we are going to get it out.

also these pics go with hunting. spanners has a point. Hunting isn't flowers and perfume....
    VIVA LA HOWA

Re: Long range kill damage

No, i dont give a fuck what people think of what i do. Respect yes. Subscribe to the life of bambi, no. Am I ment to have a service for every rabbit ,possum or duck are there lives worth less than a deer. Do you touch up stinky billy goats? I understand your point and agree somewhat but think you maybe taking it a little serious.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    veitnamcam and Toby like this.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    Cut the crap "spanners" it doesnt matter a damn what I think really does it. Posting pictures on here of goats with their guts shot out and mutilated deer shows we have very little respect for the animals we shoot or what other people think of what we do
    I have shot animals and had to hunt around to see where the wound was, I've also shot the one beside it at the same time and its looked like a bomb has gone off inside it.
    The fact of the matter is no 2 projectiles perform the same and 2 proj on 2 similar animals dont perform the same.

This thread is simply about terminal performance at 'long range' as per the title, a topic which is often debated due to the myths of projectiles not performing at range.

'Mutilation'? come on, thats just a bucket of shit; I doubt ANYONE here deliberately INTENDED to do as much meat damage as shown

Banned
    bloody hell Toby! look what youve started,now sit back and watch!

Oh dear, haha oh well I could do with some entertainment in this shithole(not forums, hospital)
    VIVA LA HOWA