Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Long range kill damage

I didn't get any pic's of the pig I carved up as I was short ot time and didn't have the camera with me but the 270 140AB went in the front shoulder one side down the length of the pig and ended up in the oppersite rear leg in a nice mushroom shape an weighed in at 95.5gr so it lost 44.5gr of its weight after breaking two legbones and some ribs...the rear leg had little damage... front not so much
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Re: Long range kill damage

Thats the million dollar question. I prefer pass throughs some prefer internal grenades. I dont think the sst did its job this time it is ment to be a tipped interlock. Ive never had failures with interlocks.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    All down to interpretation

To me; the terminal performance is something he looks for in a projectile, as was asking if it was a bang flog.
    D.R.T. with the exit wound that you prefer based on prior kills = perfect projectile
    ie SST vs TSX @ 50yds - BIG difference. 1 will be 'gore and mutilation' where the other is 'I like that hole'

I think that is exactly the problem regardless of the discussion...
    Well "spanners" me old mate the time has come around again. Two months ago I asked you to take my name off your members roll.

You refused to do it for me....So I will ask again....Will you take my name off the members roll.
    Who the hell do you think you are to refuse that request anyway.... I have long ago figured that I have little in common with most of your forum members.

You might be interested in why I made that decision at the time....
    1/ Well at that time you banned a member...Fair enough, ban who you like but dont set out to destroy his character on this forum when he is unable to defend himself because of this banning.
    2/ Gimp told me if wanted to discuss 1080 I could fuck off somewhere else. Good advice I thought at the time actually.

I have always had a sort of revulsion toward people that like to show gory photos around. We had a few in Vietnam that liked to take photos of people and animals that had been blown up or shot. History showed us that most of these soldiers had deep underlying character flaws. If you want to do this sort of thing email the photos to your mate who may have a similar bent, this public forum is not the place for you.

Much of our 1080 work that is going on all over the country is centered around the cruelty side of death by 1080. We constantly have our work thrown back in our face by DOC AHB and Regional Councils because they often produce photo's and videos of hunters either packing a pig with dogs or some hunter showing a picture of a deer in some distressing position or other. Worst of all these videos/photos are taken by hunters themselves but we get them thrown into our face as examples that hunting is cruel.

So with that short sermon I bid you all adieu....I hope I dont meet most of you again. I dont want to belong to a Forum that posts gore "spanners" So be a good boy and hit the button and send me spinning off into the ether.

Well I guess if you got a pass through it would help with tracking blood, but that is more of a bow hunting.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Im taking my bat and ball and going home.... meanies

Name:  Anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  60.2 KB
    phillipgr likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar

Scribe quoted your post in thread "Long range kill damage" - NZ Hunting and Shooting

No probs Scribe. Will do ask you ask.
    There are 2 sides to every story and discussion and seeing both sides is unfortunately something you miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Would that be good that it broke in half and made 2 exit holes, or would it be bad losing lead because you lose the weight? does the lead coming apart from the jacket make a difference in energy delivered?, sorry for asking heaps, also if you got a exit wound, would it mean that the projectile did not release all of it's energy into the animal?
    It all depends what you want from a projectile Toby. Frangible (explody) projectiles will drop a lung shot deer(slipped in behind the shoulder on a quartering away animal) like the hammer of Thor and often not even touch the far shoulder if closish. however that same pill up close on the shoulder of a hairy/ covered in mud/ thick skinned/big animal MAY just make a dinner plate sized mess of the shoulder without even penetrating the chest cavity. (Iv had it happen more than once,hence the Barnes for close now)
    The slower a projectile is going when it hits(further away or low launch vel) the more frangible it must be to mushroom or fragment.
    The slower it is going the more desirable fragmentation is for a quick kill.
    Explody pills are also great for neck shots as even if you do miss the spine by a wee bit fragmentation will still damage the spine.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Heres the way i look at it toby. If you get bullet expansion like your sposed to and create a large wound channel through either vitals or blood vessels then a decent exit wound to dump the blood death is imminent. I understand the idea od explody type projectiles disintergrating everytjing in its chest cavity when it slips through the rib cage but they limit you in the shots you can take and give you slim margin for error. Hitting bone with these bullets can defflect or pain fail to penetrate causeing massive flesh wounds that can result in long painful deaths with nk recovery. This isnt set in stone its just the way i see it. And im also having a rifle built to shoot then162 amax a notoriously explody bullet but im counting on accuracy and bullet weight to counteract its downfalls.

There seems to be alot more to projectiles then I used to think. Thanks for helping out, I have become rather interested in them alot. It seems there is no god projectile then is there that would cover close/long range on any animal in NZ?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by CreepingDeath View Post
    Thats the million dollar question. I prefer pass throughs some prefer internal grenades. I dont think the sst did its job this time it is ment to be a tipped interlock. Ive never had failures with interlocks.

+1 the plastic tip makes them much more violent, Not a bush pill IMHO unless you only shoot them in the neck or slip it in behind the shoulder and thats just not possible a lot of the time.

Not really. The nosler partition would be a good compromise with a decent b.c and solid rear section. The sst has worked well for me with that picture being the exception. But for real long range projectile you need an ecceptional b.c and realatively explody design to ensure expansion at lower velocities. The new monolithic bullet ie barnes gmx ect are indestructable and expand well creating good wound channels and normally always exit even in smaller calibres, but have poor b.cs im sure with technological advances this will change.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    There seems to be alot more to projectiles then I used to think. Thanks for helping out, I have become rather interested in them alot. It seems there is no god projectile then is there that would cover close/long range on any animal in NZ?
    Depends what you call long range and what cal your using. the 338s and 375s 416s etc im sure would kill up close with any projectile there is just so much energy.

Something like a interbond/sirroco/accubond would probably go well out of something that can push them fast enough out to 600 odd but i dont own anything that can. So I run Barnes/amax

Is reloading cheaper? or does that depend on how much you shoot.
    VIVA LA HOWA

The accubonds are HARD aim for bone