Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Looking for Fallow Access

Looking for Fallow Access

Hello All,
    I moved to Hamilton from the US about 2 years ago and plan to be here for another year for work. I found this forum and have been lurking around for a little bit now and reading the posts. I'm glad to see the same banter exists here as does on the forums I frequent on US hunting.
    Anyways, while I'm here I'd really like to find a fallow deer that is worth putting on the wall to take home with me. I'm not a big fan of the high fence guided hunts as I'm a pretty experienced hunter back home, although without having a lot of time off work to try out a lot of areas I have had a hard time finding any options. I have done a trip with Helisika, and also for Tahr on the South Island but good fallow on the North Island seem a little harder to find. My question is are there people with private land that are willing to let people pay for access that manage their herds well? To me it seems like the people that manage their herds generally want to guide you to make sure you aren't shooting more than you should. If their is good private places that people allow access to, how do you find these other than just knowing the right people? I'd be more than wiling to travel to the South Island as well. I know people will say you've got to get out and hit the hills, but with not much time off work while I'm here I just can't afford to spend days and days out in the field trying find a place to hunt like I would back home. Thanks all for the help! I'll try to post some pics of my Sika hunt as well if I can figure out how to add pictures on this forum.
    veitnamcam likes this.

photos is easy///3rd to last icon in reply box.....click it and then follow nose.
    as for good fallow head.......pay is easiest method....plenty of places offer meat hunts for fallow...MAYBE do one and ASK while there how much $$$$ for quality of stag you happy with.....in current climate with the rut/roar season being a bit of a fizzer due to lockdown you MIGHT manage a bargain/reasonable priced offer.

Alright here is an attempt with the photo. Sika hunting is a whole different ballgame compared to the western US hunting I am used to. Talk about THICK bush! We did see 18 deer in 3 days which the guys I was with said is way above average. We shot 4 between the 3 of us but could have easily shot 10+. Great tasting as well!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    veitnamcam, Trout, mikee and 5 others like this.

well bud you have got that sussed out perfectly...good luck with fallow quest.

Nice one, sika are one of the tougher species to hunt. Good luck with the fallow if you can find a block to hunt. You may be able to do a exchange hunt if someone is interested.

Can always apply for a ballot or permit at te tapui blocks

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Can always apply for a ballot or permit at te tapui blocks
    Wouldn’t bother too much now. It’s gunna get green rain....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice Sika for your 1st,good luck with the fallow.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by tiroahunta View Post
    Wouldn’t bother too much now. It’s gunna get green rain....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Due to be done tomorrow or the next day I think

Gone but not forgotten
    There is usually a few listings on Trademe down Wanganui way

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Due to be done tomorrow or the next day I think
    Found a source that says the 22nd of June.

I'm ashamed to say I've largely ignored the whole 1080 debate.
    Whats the main claim of the anti 1080 cause, that it kills more than just pests?

I've tried too research the topic but the only anti 1080 stuff I can find looks like it's been written by people who can barely spell their own name.
    Last edited by Beetroot; 21-06-2020 at 10:13 PM.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Bastards!
    They doing the Te Miro blocks too?
    Not sure, DOC told me Te Miro would still be okay for hunting, but pesticides summary on DOC website says poison has been laid (including 1080 in bait stations) . Maybe it was done but is now clear?

Don't waste your time in Te Miro for fallow. The few ones that are in there where hanging out close to the maize paddock at the eastern side earlier this year and later in the winter crop beside it. Now back on the other side on farmland and grass so off limits once again. But if you are after peacocks or wild cats it's pretty good in there ...

@Houghton3 if you get stuck, I can take you into public land for fallow. Hard work and average heads but at least earned the hard way.
    Trout likes this.

Most if not all managed herds on PP will want to guide you to ensure you are not shooting a future trophy.
    Some are pretty reasonably priced some are not.
    Realistically considering your time constraints Id say private property is your only realistic option if you want a wall hanger.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

second that above. I've seen some nice heads on private land in west Auckland. (and some crappy ones)
    Guess you have missed the fallow ballot for woodhill.
    Have also seen some very good free range managed heads on farms bordering DOC land down Whanganui. Was off Rangitatau East Rd. Stayed at Bushy Park lodge. Same deal, meat hunts, Father son etc are quite cheap, however good heads are worth a few dollars but must be with a guide. If you have time then DOC free range over Bay of Plenty, or Whanganui but you will be hard put to get a decent head.
    You could also contact a south island guide with access to a private land free range herd. Have seen some on the north side of the Clutha river in Otago. I did have an opportunity to have go at some but did not get closer than 600 mtr and then ran out of light.
    Z