Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Tahr
  • 3 Post By huntdeepsouth
  • 1 Post By Kelton

Thread: Looking for a high deer number spot to put the pup on, Kaimanawa or BOP area

Looking for a high deer number spot to put the pup on, Kaimanawa or BOP area

Hi everyone, as per the title, I'm looking for a place to take my pup where there is high deer numbers. As many encounters as possible is ideal. Not asking for your very best spot x, I'm after encounters not trophies. Bay of Plenty area or Kaimanawa would be great. PM me if you prefer.

I realise hunters don't like giving away their best spots, but ideally I could shoot a few deer over the pup and get him going. Fitness isn't an issue, happy to walk if there's somewhere riddled with deer. Would ideally spend a few days in the bush at a time. Technically I can't take pup into Te Urewera out of season (and Tuhoe rules are pig dogs only). The East Cape is being shut up with the iwi running their own coronavirus lock-down... I'm not very familiar with the Kaimanawa Kaimai or Whirinaki etc, not spent a lot of time in those areas. Anything someone can offer would be great and much appreciated!

Thanks

Sika. Dogs seem to work stronger on their scent in my experience. Clements Mill rd.
    Or fly into a private block.
    tikka, Shearer and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Sika. Dogs seem to work stronger on their scent in my experience. Clements Mill rd.
    Or fly into a private block.
    Clements was my first thoughts too. Private block is also good, or a paid meat hunt spot.....they always have plenty

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

PM sent

Thanks guys, no access to private blocks unfortunately unless someone is offering it'll be public land hunting. Sounds like most of you think the Kaimanawa would be a good place to start.

Good luck

you dont need high quantity...you need high quality....... you can get high quantity on a deer farm or even on the roadside beside one.....quality time is sitting quietly watching them or stalking in and shooting one then calmly walking in behind dog to dead deer...... reminds me I must take my bitch for walk around deer pens again soon.
    clemants road this time of year.....you need to be flouroer than a road cone and the same for the dog...good luck ,stick with it,its all worth it in the end.

Went in the kaimais today, plenty of deer signs and smell everywhere. Came across a dead carcass left over probably shot in the last month or so. All you need is a good gps so you don't get lost. Look for flatfish areas facing north east, north and north west on a topo map and Bob's your uncle.

A mate has been hunting a doc block next to farmland with a s##t load of deer in it, the poor dog gets a bit confused with the amount of tracks and scent everywhere and hes is struggling a bit to get a kill, like MD said i believe having quality over quantity of deer is better for a young dog till they get up to speed
    HNTMAD, Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

I always found my pups went better in areas with less deer beleive it or not found. When he
    and she were young to much deer lead to lack of concentration/ not honing in one, that was hunting her on private blocks full of fallow with the same idea in mind put a few down over her . It did end up working shes seen 50+ deer now at 13 and is a great dog .But when it came to him I didnt have the access to the private anymore as i was living down south and i found training him easier. Yes to different dogs i no but even now on private hunts on farms riddled with deer hes a cock.Where as with moderate numbers on public land areas hes a bloody handy little mate . Good luck dude

Kelton
    Micky Duck likes this.