Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree195Likes

Thread: Make the Most of it when your Young

Banned
    worst thing about surgical waiting lists when you are old - is that the only way you move up the list is when some old person ahead of you dies.....
    Tahr likes this.

when next someone is poking shit at Greg Duley..stop and count up his age and just how much he is still doing.....even young Willy is starting to slow up a bit.
    there are more than a few grey beards on this forum who are still more than pulling their weight out on the hill.
    the other message to young folks........ do it now..whatever it is,just make it happen.we dont all get chance to grow old and when its too late,its...well too late.
    Trout, flock, Pixie Z and 5 others like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Energizer bunny?
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharki View Post
    Nurses
    Most back injuries of any profession according to health insurance mobs
    Small ppl moving large bodies at arms length
    But yes look after your back , and your ears and most other bits , it only starts hurting when u hit 50
    Think it was Leonard Cohen singing" I now hurt in the places I used to play..."
    and that is sadly a increasing trend ( within health care)as we a see a larger cohort of the general population become more generally of a bigger stature with all the added complications for everyone across health care....
    MB likes this.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    My left sholder was killing me,Got told last April that i got a 18mm tear across the sholder muscle thats hold my arm left arm up ffs.Cant carry anything heavy with my left arm.Right arm and rifle all good tho.Thank god for my quad nissen patrol and 2 knee replacements.My 71st right in the middle of the roar next April.I cant wait,booked 2 weeks off hunting.
    Yep. Done both shoulders twice each. Last bit of surgery was 7 years ago. Earlier this year the left shoulder tendon snapped AGAIN, so I doubt it is properly repairable. The bugger of it is, each of the other incidents were 'memorable'. This last one, well one day it was OK the next day it wasn't. The Surgeon's warrantee must have run out

Torn long head of bicep in right arm, I'm right handed. Back then 2004 it was 4 months wait for surgery and nearly 28 months off work. Actually ran into the surgeon recently he told me they do things very differently now, mine wasn't really repairable back then but is now if I did it now. I learnt to live with it. Also shattered left elbow 10 years or so ago and that gives me more trouble.

A Physio said to me awhile back when I listed all the injuries and she said what the hell have you been doing … I said just living a good active life and shit happens unfortunately , but if I had my time again I would look after my back and hearing a lot better that’s for sure .

There are plenty of active grey beards on here getting out there doing it still , which is just awesome , we all have our issues or ways or methods to get around age related issues but at least we are still doing it albeit a bit slower hahaha.
    Trout, tetawa, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.

The surgeon that did my knee replacements looked at my back xray,back when i was nearly a cripple.He said my back so worn theres nothing to operate on.Just treat yr back like glass and keep walking to keep it flexing.
    Finnwolf likes this.

it now takes all night to do what we used to do all night...... yeah not so funny anymore LOL
    Trout, Lucky, Finnwolf and 1 others like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Don't leave your back issues too long.
    In Feb last year after deteriorating mobility an MRI identied severe spinal stenosis L2/L3 (bulged disk, badly bunched and pinched nerves that serve my feet and ankles). I was teed up for surgery in June 22 but another issue came along to bite me. The back surgery was delayed until August this year and it now appears due to the length of time I may not recover my mobility.

Your whole life and future can change in a second.
    MB and Finnwolf like this.

From the other perspective, I'm 23, fit as a fiddle and try get out at every instance I can. Working fulltime and I have still been getting out once a month minimum. I get every second Friday off work (I know, lucky me) so get plenty of 2-3 day trips in. So rest assured there are still youngins like me making the most of being young and fit
    Tahr, Maca49, MB and 4 others like this.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit ......... wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

I’m in my 50’s and still doing big days on the hill chasing pigs.
    Can’t keep up with the younger hunters but couldn’t when I was younger either.
    Some of them can’t believe the miles I do.
    Thing is, I have a good low gear. That is, I’m not the fastest but I can walk at my own pace 6+ hours without a break. My body seems to just keep on going.
    Not eating sugar or carbs while hunting helps immensely. Just boiled eggs or a couple of mutton chops and salt.
    Trout, Micky Duck, Lucky and 3 others like this.

Few yrs ago on big steep hills,id just take 20 steps and stop for a minut or 2 look at the view then another 20.You still got up the top,just takes a bit longer and you not killing your self or yr knees.
    Micky Duck likes this.

When I turned 30 began to worry how many hunting years were left. Now at 76 still walk 8-15 km most days, can't carry much due to buggered back but don't struggle with the mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    And it not bloody optional.
    Well the other option dark, cold and permanent. Make hay while the suns still shining.
    Got 150 metres of Kwila decking to put down next few days, keeps you young
    Boom, cough,cough,cough