Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Map/s St. James Conservation Area

Map/s St. James Conservation Area

Could anybody help me obtain a copy, or direct me to a suitable source, of the entire boundary area of St. James Conservation Park please ?
    I have topo maps that would cover the area but there is nothing showing St. James boundaries. Been searching online to no avail and thee only DOC info I have is a booklet which does not show actual boundaries either. There is text explaining where boundaries are but I found it difficult to follow and would much prefer the visual of a map if obtainable.
    Thankyou for any help guys. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by 30.06king View Post
    Could anybody help me obtain a copy, or direct me to a suitable source, of the entire boundary area of St. James Conservation Park please ?
    I have topo maps that would cover the area but there is nothing showing St. James boundaries. Been searching online to no avail and thee only DOC info I have is a booklet which does not show actual boundaries either. There is text explaining where boundaries are but I found it difficult to follow and would much prefer the visual of a map if obtainable.
    use WAMS maps readily available on internet ( walking access management system) one can use the public access one as either topo or aerial photo and by turning the DOC public access on and off it will show you boundarys there is a legal boundary map as well but its more difficult to use

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    use WAMS maps readily available on internet ( walking access management system) one can use the public access one as either topo or aerial photo and by turning the DOC public access on and off it will show you boundarys there is a legal boundary map as well but its more difficult to use
    Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at that website but didn't find it helpful. Maybe I didn't search correctly as I'm not that computer savvy but I couldn't see anything defining the actual place and boundaries of St James. If you can suggest anything else please do. Cheers.

https://www.topomap.co.nz/NZTopoMap?...172.825928&z=7

Click on three lines top right, then click on more then click info layers that gives you option to turn on recreational hunting areas.
    stingray likes this.

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at that website but didn't find it helpful. Maybe I didn't search correctly as I'm not that computer savvy but I couldn't see anything defining the actual place and boundaries of St James. If you can suggest anything else please do. Cheers.
    its all there and can be enlarged a lot - on the public access map DOC will be hi lighted green - that can be switched on and off - one can click on the area and it will tell you what DOC block it is - keep playing with the system- it really is the best - you can have aerial photo or Topo - aerial photo I use a lot to find clearings thats how much one can drill in

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    its all there and can be enlarged a lot - on the public access map DOC will be hi lighted green - that can be switched on and off - one can click on the area and it will tell you what DOC block it is - keep playing with the system- it really is the best - you can have aerial photo or Topo - aerial photo I use a lot to find clearings thats how much one can drill in
    Yes, you're right. Played around a bit more and it's better. I also have Google Earth that I find quite good with aerial pics although it's not right up to the minute datewise the resolution might be bit better than WAMS maps. Appreciate your help with this. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    https://www.topomap.co.nz/NZTopoMap?...172.825928&z=7

Click on three lines top right, then click on more then click info layers that gives you option to turn on recreational hunting areas.
    I clicked on your link and the page came up but no "three lines top right" that I could find. I'm bamboozled on this one but I am a computer dummy.

also worth a look some Regional Councils will allow computor access into a GIS system our Taranaki Regional used to have not tried for awhile but they had really good aerial photos worth having a look at your local Council website

I clicked on your link and the page came up but no "three lines top right" that I could find. I'm bamboozled on this one but I am a computer dummy.
    its 3 dots and then more on right hand end of tool bar gives access to bring up DOC land

Just go to the DoC maps through the St James conservation area
    Click on their map and bring it up to fill the page
    Play around with the DoC overlays
    One will be DoC areas
    Open hunting areas etc
    Just bring up the layers for what you want and load that

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    Just go to the DoC maps through the St James conservation area
    Click on their map and bring it up to fill the page
    Play around with the DoC overlays
    One will be DoC areas
    Open hunting areas etc
    Just bring up the layers for what you want and load that
    yup that works- just giving WAMS maps a nudge here because the aerial photos are so much better than DOC offering and a really useful hunting tool - I pick up clearings for a later look

Why do you want to know? It's all open permit area, there's no functional difference between St James specifically and any neighboring open permit land parcel

nztopo50 on phone shows boundaries as clear as mud...even a techtard like myself can use it...
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I can screenshot it off topo50 but too big of file to post on here unfortunately...it will send via txt etc though...its a seriously good bit of kit to have on hand.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Why do you want to know? It's all open permit area, there's no functional difference between St James specifically and any neighboring open permit land parcel
    Wanting to see the actual boundary line encompassing St. James. Agreed, if it's all open permit within and outside St. James boundary lines there's probably no consequences to unintentionally being astray of the permit area but there is some private land that adjoins St. James in places. I don't know the name of the station but one private holding bounds onto St. James at the southern end and to the west there is a boundary with Molesworth ( OK, not exactly private land ) but it was easy to work out where that separation line is so no worries with that one.