Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree212Likes

Thread: The Morgan Score

I get a few wild cats here, i use tin fish tied in a stocking on the trigger in a cage trap.Last one i got was a small kitten kids wanted to keep as a pet but when they went near it it hissed at them and they said 'dad you can shoot that'.

Saw paw prints at 1600m behind island saddle, couple nights later driving along the road at night and saw eyes, lifted up the 308 and thought is it a calf, realised I was on 15x zoom, bloody huge tom walking up the road towards us, 200m 150gr to the neck/ back of head made a big mess. Those that measure a tom are game they bastard stunk to high heaven. Both of us reckoned it would have topped 10kg, have pictures somewhere
    40mm and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Saw paw prints at 1600m behind island saddle, couple nights later driving along the road at night and saw eyes, lifted up the 308 and thought is it a calf, realised I was on 15x zoom, bloody huge tom walking up the road towards us, 200m 150gr to the neck/ back of head made a big mess. Those that measure a tom are game they bastard stunk to high heaven. Both of us reckoned it would have topped 10kg, have pictures somewhere
    Boaraxa and 40mm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Once I get the camera to talk to the desktop and email pictures from my phone to myself I need to put a thread together but got another trip lined up for the next 3-4 days so will throw it all together, sadly the only meat in the freezer is a few hares
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    truly wild cats are evil bastards. Every one of them is a killer of wildlife , be it birds or lizards or mice.

I think people genuinely have no concept of the effect cats have on the bird and lizard population , and most cat lovers dont want to know.
    Totally agree Muzza, they're high grade murderers. We're cat people but I blast every wild one I see. Shot a huge black tom a few years back- fat as and a serious killing machine. Been eating rabbits I guess as there were plenty there.

Our big Maine Coon scores a lot of rodents (last one an hour ago) but he can also be out and back inside within 5 mins with a yellowhammer.
    Last edited by 6x47; 08-06-2018 at 09:03 AM.
    time out and Strummer like this.

Wish I'd known about the "Morgan Score" when I got this big boy a few months ago. He was quite the best, would have measured up well

Name:  DSC_0016.JPG
Views: 491
Size:  4.25 MB
    Woody, Tommy, viper and 3 others like this.

Plenty of ginger mocks aboutName:  951D1412-7736-4951-8D67-6761CE2A2083.jpeg
Views: 377
Size:  1.81 MB
    time out, Woody and Moa Hunter like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post
    Warning if your a cat lover....stop reading this now !!

I'm still catching possums at work but we noticed something was cleaning up the carcasses. Firstly started finding them like this.

Then found one like this

The surgical nature of that cut through the skin suggested a feral cat (we are miles from any house)

So I took a couple of cat raps up there this week. One a Steve Allen cat kill trap

And the other was the trusty old cage trap both were baited with rabbit

It was the cage that got him

It was the biggest dam Tom cat I've ever seen !!!

Nose to tail measured 94cm

Tail measured 30cm

Girth was 49cm

+ a bonus 10pts for a set of nuts

Morgan score 94 + 30 + 49 + 10 = 183

This thing was a frickin beast !!! Had some fishing scales in the car and it weighed in at a whopping 6.5kgs massive head and a body packed full of mussel !!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Champion effort there Kukuwai, and great trap sets too. I have shot four of the dastardly Felix Sylvestra's in the last two weeks. One was a monster and weighed 5.73 Kg so yours really should go in the Boon and Crocket records.
    time out and kukuwai like this.

Banned
    Meant to add that your Tom had a great set of nuts maybe worth an extra bonus.
    Have tried to attach a photo that I have previously posted of Tess with a brace she treed after an epic on ground battle and chase - two treed at the same time must be a rarity. I suspect she surprised them in-coupelo (spelling ?)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    time out, Woody, viper and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    I shoot them when I can but have a fuckwit neighbour that would like to get me in trouble with the cops so have to be very careful what and when I do.
    Get a few cage traps they are really effective especially on cats and you can easily let go unwanted catches.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Those that measure a tom are game they bastard stunk to high heaven.
    True story he did stink to buggery !! However I recently caught a ferret in a cage trap and personally found its smell far more offensive !!

I caught that big fellas misses today in the same trap with hardly any bait left. Pretty sure she went in there because of his smell. No more breading for those two!!!

Morgan score 139.

2 feral cats in two days is a Bloody good result !!!

Last edited by kukuwai; 08-06-2018 at 09:00 PM.
    time out, Woody, Tommy and 3 others like this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Meant to add that your Tom had a great set of nuts maybe worth an extra bonus.
    Have tried to attach a photo that I have previously posted of Tess with a brace she treed after an epic on ground battle and chase - two treed at the same time must be a rarity. I suspect she surprised them in-coupelo (spelling ?)
    Big belly rubs for Tess that night. Good dog great job !!

40mm likes this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Got me one of those tailors tape measures off the missus for this very purpose.
    when we gonna ice those cat bitches holmes?
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    I've often thought about what is the most ecologically virtuous pest to shoot. with goats for instance a Billy is only worth the native Veg it will eat in the rest of its life. Culling nannies will be more beneficial. An economist like Gareth would have a discounted future value formula that factors in the potential rate ofpopulation increase (exponential in many Nz localities).

likewise, a young animal will have more years of eating and reproducing ahead of it.
    If we have an expert On feral cat Population structure in NZ here, it would be interesting to hear whether killing young cats or even kittens has any effect on the total population.
    Kill em all
    300CALMAN likes this.
    Use enough gun

cats or dogs in the bush without humans are fair game. I like dogs but fair is fair, and I really doubt ill ever run into a wild dog in the bush.... cats on the other hand seem to be part of the landscape.
    Use enough gun