Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Near-Miss

Had a close call in next hut area upstream from Kelly Knights 25 odd years ago , nearly stepped into thin air off a ledge in a side creek using torch light , 30 ft drop onto rocks , was a long cold night in my orange survival bag , it snowed as well , my 2 hunter mates came looking after dark , fired a shot and I replied 1 shot which was reassuring , stumbled back to the hut not long after 1st light cold but alive .
    Rusky likes this.

I have had the near exact same experience, but while carrying a heavy pack as well. While falling I knew that I was going to break bones. After impact (same distance as you at least) I found that boulders either side of me would probably have killed me outright as because of the pack weight I had turned over and landed headfirst, but luckily into a mud slope between them.
    I was not hurt at all. I wasnt wearing contacts this trip and it took me half an hour to find my glasses
    Rusky likes this.

Good thread.
    I was solo and trying to make it off a steep snowy face before dark with a tahr in my pack. I knew I didn't want to be on this face in the dark as there was a big bluff I had to navigate over the top of. I also hadn't eaten for a long time because I didn't want to slow down at any stage and loose light. I think this affected my decision making a bit.
    I got to the final snow chute to cross above the 100m bluff and stupidly thought, I should get my ice axe now but I didn't and pushed on, I was on a mission. Two steps in I start sliding, can't reach my ice axe. Picking up speed with the edge approaching I managed to line my self up on a lone tussock sticking through the snow and hit it with one foot that brought me to an immediate stop. I got my ice axe out and crossed the rest. I took a long breather in the dark once I got off that face. I'm lucky and I can't beleive how dumb I was. Things happen fast.
    I've got a young family at home. Heck of a wake up call.

I always carry an inreach on my chest rig and a plb in zip pant leg so i can always reach one in an emergency but I can't use them if I'm not concious. They are no good in your pack... just like an ice axe.