Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree323Likes

Thread: nearly old members

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post

At 56 like most of you I notice the body is showing some wear and tear from an active and busy life . It hurts a little more to get to the top of the hill, I need to stop more and I am slower getting to the top......but I do fucking get to the top.
    describes me to the tee....
    found the last couple of years harder going but putting it down to not enough time in the bush..... when i was in my 40s was keeping up with fit mate in his 20s.....but we were in the bush every 3 weeks.....started thinking its time to semi retire and become camp mother.....but as soon as i start breathing in that "bush air" i cant help myself i have to get out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    words of wisdom...... look after the fellas who taught you how to hunt,get them out when you can,drop off meat when you have surplus.
    get young fellas out and show them LIFE.... hopefully in a few years time they will look after you,if not,well you did your bit.
    do it NOW......before its too late.....goes for many many things
    look after your back n knees.....they dont get better as we age,only worse.
    i would have liked to have someone show me the ropes when i was younger , i would have been a more successful hunter over the years but circumstances meant i was self taught by trial and error couldnt agree more about getting the young fellas out and parting with the knowledge ...at 56 now my sense of smell has almost deserted me i have constant ringing in my ears (i have no problem getting to where the deer are at just when i get there they just sit there laughing at the silly old cunt wandering thru their patch as they trot off)and the knees give me some grief the results of the industry i work in and a motorbike whoopsie..... so young fellas are an essential part of the kit

northdude
    Everything firearms and hunting im self taught. I guess being an old school mechanic where you have to actually nut things out it doesnt take me long the pick the firearms/ reloading etc side up...
    Jhon likes this.

northdude
    My saying about life that ive bought my kids up with is
    If you do nothing in life youll get nothing you will become nothing....
    Maca49 likes this.

Enjoyed reading this thread , I am 52 this year and I have had my fair share of injuries , it’s quite the list when you write it down but it’s just the result of a full active life , no good going to the grave brand new anyway .
    My hearing is terrible and yep can’t read anything without my glasses on anymore .
    I still love getting into the Bush and Mountains and often as I can , My biggest issue these days is my back is stuffed , to many heavy packs and trying to be a hero and carry whole animals back to camp in my younger days has taken its toll , my advice to young hunters is no your limits and if you have to leave a bit of meat on the hill so be it , the damage to your back , knees, hips catches up with you eventually.
    veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.

northdude
    oh yea forgot about my hearing and eye sight...guess it was true what they used to say about playing with your self...
    veitnamcam and Jhon like this.

northdude
    so guys whats a good walking frame

Burro.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Turned 35 this month. Piss off I hear you say. Certainly noticed over last few years recovery takes longer and my eyesight needs some sorting out with lasers as more deer see me now before I see them.

My goal as I age is to stay fit and healthy enough to hunt/dive with my now 5 year & 2 year old sons when the time comes. Have a father that has Parkinsons and even though it's not hereditary my grandfather also had it so I'm hoping I dont go down the same road in 10 to 15 years from now.
    Micky Duck likes this.

enjoy the kids while they are still small enough to pick up and keep away from danger...
    Rusky, northdude and Dago like this.

49? Your still a young fella Micky Duck

Plenty left in you yet

73 now, was lot slower when in 60s, than i was in my 20s-50s.
    Now I am slower still.
    Doctor told me I wont have my own knees by 80, feels it sometimes
    Going up is easier than downhill now. Probably because used to try and run downhill for so many years
    But hills arnt a worry, probably going to be stuffed, anyway, hills or not
    Still go to same places used to when young, just takes long. Long as I get there.
    Being there makes it worth it
    Tahr, Micky Duck and sometimes1 like this.

Great thread with many comments hitting the nail right on the head re what we eat and exercising! Grandpamac and Huntfisheat a couple of goodies.

March last year Dr. told me following a blood test that my blood sugars had me as a diabetic and that would be permanent unless I changed my ways - I was 99kg at the time and am 177cm. Well my darling wife musts have told every single person we know that "Andrew's a diabetic!" and I thought F**K that I'll show you and went and did what the Dr. ordered. Changed my eating habits how much/when/amount, what I ate and exercised virtually every day.

Well I am 80kg now and have had little trouble staying there - I don't diet as such but I don't have sugar and go pretty low on the carb front - there are low carb breads and even potatoes now. Still enjoy a bottle or two of Chardie over the weekend but not during the week and good amounts of protein often cooked on the BBQ particularly Lamb, Chicken, salmon all with salad.

Exercise a mixture of brisk walking (having a puppy helps appx 5Km a day), running 2-3x a week and I have some thing called a Bosu ball which is one of those big round blue balls but cut in half. Its for balance - I can stand on it on one foot no trouble, even do exercises, squats, toe touches etc. My dad's balance went and he had huge trouble getting from the boat to the dingy when mooring and very nearly drown himself - I had started to notice that I was having the same sort of difficulties too. The aches and pains I had in my knees back when I was 99Kg are gone.

Like most of our age I get sore at the end of they day on the hill, but pay way more attention to food and hydration with sports type drinks during the day makes quite a difference to energy levels the next day. Have not tried Ibuprofen as I have a wee supply of Voltaren pills my wife provides as long as I "only take after eating" - they are very effective.

I am 60 next year and as fit now as I have been for many many years, especially on the hill and I feel great when exercising or armed tramping. I am looking to increase the hunting trips in the future and feel I can be still going out in the next 10years +

Its the weight loss at the end of the day that has turned my health around and increased my enjoyment of life in general. It's wasn't easy, but I call "sugar the devil" and once I cut it out completely and kept out of the fridge after dinner it started to tumble off. We did a month in Europe in 2018 and Christmas tree the big fat bastard in all those photo's is/was me !

Only downside for me with my Scots heritage is all the suits/jackets/shirts/trousers (all XXL) that have gone to the clothing bin at the supermarket!! $$$$$$$$ Poof !
    Trout, Maca49, Rusky and 7 others like this.

[no good going to the grave brand new anyway .]
    Loved that quote but into my 70's I think I left that a little late....
    Micky Duck likes this.

Long as I'm erect I'm good to go...even if its slowly...
    hamsav, Micky Duck and Dago like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Long as I'm erect I'm good to go...even if its slowly...
    in the words of Meatloaf "I bet you say that to all the boys"
    Jhon and Phil_H like this.