Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: New legal Garmin dog tracker

Yea gutted they dont have shock function. Hopefully they upgrade the collars in time to the better ones. Cheers inov8 for the update half watt be no good in the scub. Does anyone know if these will communicate with the rino 650s?

I would want to know its operating freq and transmission power output for sure. before I laid down my cash.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

If these are running on a free/ public frequency then presumably they are UHF as against VHF (for which a license is needed). So I guess it is possible they will communicate with the radio/polling function on the Rino, if on the same frequency.
    My 2c worth on shock collars is that NZ is likely to be one of the few markets actually wanting this function. The do gooders in USA and Eu have probably made shock collars all but illegal from what I have read elsewhere.
    If they are using UHF, then they don't pose a threat to the likes of SAR/DOC/Logging crews
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Well if they be transmitting on UHF in the 433mhz band and they are only Tx at 1/2 watt then they might struggle a bit for range.
    Pengy likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Pessimists The altered gear trials worked well so I am told, also the legal Tek1 seems to have plenty of range

I don't think Garmin would be sending out gear that wont preform, will happily send it back if it doesn't
    Munsey likes this.
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    OPCz

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Well if they be transmitting on UHF in the 433mhz band and they are only Tx at 1/2 watt then they might struggle a bit for range.
    Agreed. Surveyors generally use the range between 410-470MHz to get a corrected position from there GPS base station to the surveyor with the rover. Even at 2 watts and a clear line of sight on the Canterbury plains (not pine tree shelter belts in the way), they are limited to around 6km. Also depends on the atmospheric conditions. So drop down to 0.5watts and put a heap of tree and a ridge line in between and it possibly new over.

The RSM have set a selection of "free to air" frequencies within this band (closer to 470MHz) for people to use without registration and cost. As many surveyor know, if someone else is working in the area on the same frequency, you might as will pack your gear up and head to the pub as any other Tx with block your signal.

I help develop and test GPS systems for a living for the large producer in the world. 10mm accuracy GPS systems too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Upland, I am sure you likely know already, but if you have other users on the same channel, you can get privacy by using the CTSS settings on most decent handsets
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Correct, each collar will has a unique ID in the data packet. This is how each dog is correctly identified and the tracking actually happens, great function. Maybe using the world "block" isn't quite right. Maybe I'll try a different approach; think of what happens when everyone in a town uses their cell phone(consider this the dog collar) at the same time, this would be a town with maybe only one cell tower (the handheld tracker). Now each phone, even though it has a unique identifier, still uses part of the bandwidth of the cell network (radio frequency around the 900MHz range). When a lot of devices connect to a small bandwidth, eventually, some one get either cut off or the call doesn't actually go through to the person you are trying to call. Have you ever tried to call someone and nothing happens? This is due to the bandwidth of the network(or radio frequency) becoming over run with
    information that it just fails.

The actually likely hood of this happening is normally low, unless at or after an event when lots of people(dogs) try to contact someone else via a cell tower(the handheld). After a big earthquake, at a concert, just after getting off the plane and everyone checks there phone. The network is screwed!

Ever had text messages not get to the person in the right order, this is the same thing.

Again, low likelihood, but every possible if the output power of the device is low, say 0.5watts.

Normally Auckland for work, temporarily deployed to UK, St Arnaud on leave
    Is there an update to this?

I see dogmaster.co.nz is offering the TT15 collars now in NZ legal/ TT15 Garmin Track n Train GPS Collar - NEW - DogMaster Trainers

Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    Correct, each collar will has a unique ID in the data packet. This is how each dog is correctly identified and the tracking actually happens, great function. Maybe using the world "block" isn't quite right. Maybe I'll try a different approach; think of what happens when everyone in a town uses their cell phone(consider this the dog collar) at the same time, this would be a town with maybe only one cell tower (the handheld tracker). Now each phone, even though it has a unique identifier, still uses part of the bandwidth of the cell network (radio frequency around the 900MHz range). When a lot of devices connect to a small bandwidth, eventually, some one get either cut off or the call doesn't actually go through to the person you are trying to call. Have you ever tried to call someone and nothing happens? This is due to the bandwidth of the network(or radio frequency) becoming over run with
    information that it just fails.

The actually likely hood of this happening is normally low, unless at or after an event when lots of people(dogs) try to contact someone else via a cell tower(the handheld). After a big earthquake, at a concert, just after getting off the plane and everyone checks there phone. The network is screwed!

Ever had text messages not get to the person in the right order, this is the same thing.

Again, low likelihood, but every possible if the output power of the device is low, say 0.5watts.

Do you work for an employer starting with the letter "T"

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Do you work for an employer starting with the letter "T"
    highly likely
    mikee likes this.

Ejected
    These seem to have a high repair rate.

Liking mine, no issues yet had it since it came out. Side by side with the astro it is about the same range, can loose coms around 400m with both sets of gear where I hunt, so I will look into a better aerial for the handset

Really like the bark indicator , and treed or sitting icon pops up quick, so I can tell quickly when its game on

I tape over the charging contacts with fresh clean tape every hunt and bring them and dry them in the lounge after a hunt close but not too close to the fire
    Danny likes this.
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    OPCz