Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree283Likes

Thread: Not again!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Pretty sobering reading @Nathan F. Some of it typical knee jerk stuff but still makes us all look pretty rednecked. Especially the reference to "popular NZ hunting forums".
    We really need to think a lot about this in general.
    Yep I agree. You only have to read the dribble on here sometimes to substantiate what that authors talking about. When I joined this forum I did so under my name so I have to put my brain into gear before I type. It's easy to hide behind a non de plume and talk shit.
    Tahr, kiwijames, BRADS and 2 others like this.

In any activity be Lifestyle , work or sport there are risks.
    Quite often in underground mining we get deaths and the same thing comes up in investigation.
    The victim was a experienced miner.
    In Hunting we say a lot of these shootings are done by experienced hunters.

You can be experienced in your field of work, activity or sport but still be a idiot who has been lucky he has never shot himself or others every time he picks up a gun.
    There are miners I have worked with or been around for years who I would not employ or want working anywhere near me because of there unsafe habits and short cuts.
    Until we limit the amount of people in the bush during the Roar or even set harder rules in gun ownership this is going to keep happening.
    For the time being people need to make a choice of

Do I really want to be in Public land during the Roar?
    Take a hard line on your friends who are complete dickheads with a Gun by not hunting with them at all if they don't listen and learn.
    Try not to put pressure on each other about having to shoot some thing every trip.
    clutching at straws I know but we are heading into a era that we are going to lose our freedom.
    If we don't take control the government will.
    sometimes and Feral like this.
    Love walking my gun

Quote Originally Posted by Zamkiwi View Post
    Until we limit the amount of people in the bush during the Roar or even set harder rules in gun ownership this is going to keep happening.
    You're suggesting tightening gun laws in order to lower the amount of people not identifying their targets properly?

It's already illegal to shoot, or shoot at someone because you haven't identified your target correctly.

Maybe we should be targeting the real issue here, also loving all the experienced hunters here blaming once a year hunters, not only were you wrong this time, but also majority of all other accidental shootings, well done, that's the exact attitude that puts you in this mans shoes.
    Blaser, zimmer and Krameranzac like this.

My point is that to "keep drumming" the same message will have the same result. It's just rhetoric. THAT is being short sighted, ie failing to see when you're banging your head against a wall. Something new is needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    We all pay taxes for the common good; for instance health care in hospital. We all pay rates for the common good; for instance the town hall , library and footpaths, street lighting and local parks and reserves.

Furthermore, just about EVERY boat ramp (which is the entry point for fishermen to HUNT FISH) has marine safety reminders as well as fishing regulations. Why not apply the same logic to entry points to hunting areas?

Tommy and Koshogi and DEAD is Better, you need to think before you write negative short sighted comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post
    You're suggesting tightening gun laws in order to lower the amount of people not identifying their targets properly?

It's already illegal to shoot, or shoot at someone because you haven't identified your target correctly.

Maybe we should be targeting the real issue here, also loving all the experienced hunters here blaming once a year hunters, not only were you wrong this time, but also majority of all other accidental shootings, well done, that's the exact attitude that puts you in this mans shoes.
    No I was not suggesting that people not identify there targets .
    You just suggested that.

Have you seen how easy it is to get a gun Licence?
    Too bloody easy with not much training involved and before you jump in about its not the new hunters shooting people.
    read my post again.
    Its so called experienced hunters with bad hunting habits who have been making fatal mistakes.

Bad hunting habits which they gained right from the start by themselves or the hunters who mentored them.

So Joe Bloggs can reinvent himself as a hunter and within a short time have a gun licence.
    Pop in to his local shop and buy his gun and get into it.
    10 years later he has been taking snap shots at movement and has been lucky enough not to have shot someone.
    Now to the next part.
    During the Roar everyman and his mates are pouring into the bush to get his trophy or in some case,s whatever comes his way.
    Add Joe Bloggs into the mix and he has a bigger chance with his habit of snap shooting or lining up on movement to actually be in a area with other hunters all roaring at each other.

Hunter training has to get serious.
    Not all new hunters have access to safe hunters as mentors.
    Humans are funny creatures and if nobody is policing them they behave badly.
    You need training to drive a car and if not for policing all hell would break loose on the roads .
    Come and drive in Africa for a first hand experience in that.

They ballot certain areas of South Island during the Roar.
    Can anybody shed some light on case,s of shootings in these areas during the ballot period?
    Pointer, R93, Steve123 and 2 others like this.
    Love walking my gun

One solution to influence behaviour would be consequences for failure to observe safe hunting practises I'm thinking jail time here for serious breaches reading the circumstances around this latest occurrence I think an example will be made and a line drawn in the sand by the Judicial process.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
    One solution to influence behaviour would be consequences for failure to observe safe hunting practises I'm thinking jail time here for serious breaches reading the circumstances around this latest occurrence I think an example will be made and a line drawn in the sand by the Judicial process.
    Has there been more details released? If so, link please...

Hunting on public conservation land
    •Hunting on public conservation land is not permitted during the hours of darkness (½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise).
    •Do not load a firearm in or near a hut - wait until you're hunting.
    Do not discharge firearms in the vicinity of huts, tracks, campsites, road ends or any other public place in a manner that endangers property or endangers, frightens or annoys members of the public.
    •Do not discharge load or discharge firearms within 500 m of a Great Walk hut.
    •When in a hut or camp, ensure you remove and store your firearms bolt and ammunition separately. Where practical also secure your firearm.

Hunting and firearms safety: Hunting

Man shot dead in hunting accident named - National - NZ Herald News

Hunter shot on track

Whats does 'in the vicinity' mean in understandable terms?

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Whats does 'in the vicinity' mean in understandable terms?

That will be something for the Lawyers to litigate about when it comes to Trial
    Feral likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
    That will be something for the Lawyers to litigate about when it comes to Trial
    What it means is if you fire a shot anywhere that frightens someone and they go to the authorities you could be in the crap. Have had a problem in Pureora on a track that was but in originally for 4 wheelers for hunting access. Now bikers have been using it and some get upset when the come across a hunter with rifle and dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zamkiwi View Post
    No I was not suggesting that people not identify there targets .
    You just suggested that.

Have you seen how easy it is to get a gun Licence?
    Too bloody easy with not much training involved and before you jump in about its not the new hunters shooting people.
    read my post again.
    Its so called experienced hunters with bad hunting habits who have been making fatal mistakes.

Bad hunting habits which they gained right from the start by themselves or the hunters who mentored them.

So Joe Bloggs can reinvent himself as a hunter and within a short time have a gun licence.
    Pop in to his local shop and buy his gun and get into it.
    10 years later he has been taking snap shots at movement and has been lucky enough not to have shot someone.
    Now to the next part.
    During the Roar everyman and his mates are pouring into the bush to get his trophy or in some case,s whatever comes his way.
    Add Joe Bloggs into the mix and he has a bigger chance with his habit of snap shooting or lining up on movement to actually be in a area with other hunters all roaring at each other.

Hunter training has to get serious.
    Not all new hunters have access to safe hunters as mentors.
    Humans are funny creatures and if nobody is policing them they behave badly.
    You need training to drive a car and if not for policing all hell would break loose on the roads .
    Come and drive in Africa for a first hand experience in that.

They ballot certain areas of South Island during the Roar.
    Can anybody shed some light on case,s of shootings in these areas during the ballot period?
    When I was talking about experienced hunters etc I was no longer talking directly to you, but to everyone who said it was the new hunters who were making the mistakes.

As I've said multiple times on this forum, experienced people need to take inexperienced people out and teach them the right way to hunt safely.

Sorry to contradict but I remember reports of hunter shot carrying out a pig in the late sixties

Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post
    When I was talking about experienced hunters etc I was no longer talking directly to you, but to everyone who said it was the new hunters who were making the mistakes.

As I've said multiple times on this forum, experienced people need to take inexperienced people out and teach them the right way to hunt safely.
    Or just people with safety ethics. Experience can be good and bad.
    GravelBen, Pengy, Beaker and 1 others like this.