Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: NZ Alpine Hunter :Injury, First Aid training & gear survey (research)

Question NZ Alpine Hunter :Injury, First Aid training & gear survey (research)

Hi everyone!

Hi , my name is Malin.
    I am a (retired due to a rare kind of muscular dystrophy) medical doctor with a special interest in NZ outdoor first aid /pre hospital emergency care. I have been volunteering with Horizons Unlimited in Christchurch for a number of years now, refreshing the medical curriculum and I may have met some of you during our PHEC courses.
    I am currently undertaking some independent research with regards to Hunter specific injuries, injury prevention and emergency management by hunters for themselves and their hunting companions.

I’d be super stoked if you would take the time and effort to complete this survey.

The first part of the survey is to get some idea of what sore of injuries you may have sustained in the course of your hunt.
    It has 10 questions and won't take very long to complete.
    You may stay totally anonymous is you wish or if you want to take part in further research & fact finding or to find out the results of the survey you can let me have your email. I will never use your name in any of the research, which I hope to publish at some stage.

The second part of the survey is about First Aid training and what rescue/survival gear you carry.
    I had to make it in two parts because otherwise Survey Monkey charges a subscription fee, and I am too tight to pay.

Cheers,

Malin

this is the link

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HBR8T6C

I will post the second link when I have build the second survey.
    gadgetman and Pengy like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    What an excellent thing to do Malin. I am sure you will get a good response from our South Island membership. I am not an alpine hunter but would happily do the second part of the survey when you post the link if it is helpful.
    DrM@wildernessEMC likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

NZ Alpine Hunting survey part 2

Hi Rushy,

Humbled by your positive response, thank you!

Here is part 2 of the survey

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HZ7WQY7

I appreciate all responses and any constructive criticism or comments of general safety first aid and rescue gear nature.

Cheers,
    Malin

Piopio, Christchurch, Pilbara/GreatSandy Desert WA
    Done, be interested in seeing the findings.
    Potentially not just ask about plb but also Spots and Inreachs as these have live tracking functions aswell

Yes this is great.

There don't seem to be any first aid courses specifically for solo hunters or remote groups where help can't be expected for a considerable amount of time

done, that was easy

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Easy to do. Question 8 needs to allow self rescue. All available options require a third party to be true. My guess is a few of us have taken a tumble but it was not so serious to require rescue or other assistance.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Both done Malin, interested from a professional perspective on this.

Good line of research, I've done the surveys and I hope you'll keep us posted on the eventual outcome of your research. Cheers

Done the surveys. Some of the questions brought back memories of past first aid courses.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Did both in reverse order reminded me of some special moments especially standing on a wasps nest while tramping with a friend who was allergic, and being talked through how to administer adrenalin by him.
    Made me do a first aid course

Did both in reverse order reminded me of some special moments especially standing on a wasps nest while tramping with a friend who was allergic, and being talked through how to administer adrenalin by him.
    Made me do a first aid course

Hiya!

A big thank you to everyone who has completed my surveys so far.

I really appreciate the interest you have shown, it makes me really happy.

In less than 24 hours I have had 20 responses to part 1 about injuries sustained

and 15 responses to part 2 about First Aid training and gear carried

That is an awesome start and I am stoked. Please mention the survey it to your hunting mates.

When the study is complete (ideally I am looking for about 500 responses to make it statistically significant) I will post a link to the results (anonymised) on my website.

I do all my social media comms on twitter ( i know, not very popular in NZ but I have given up on Facebook) and my handle is DrM@WildernessEMC.

My website is
    https://drmwildernessemc.wordpress.com/

but it only has 2 research items on it at present, both about Adventure Activities. The one titled "How do NZ Outdoor Instructors manage death of Adventure Activities participants?" has a video of when I presented it at a conference in Auckland 2016.

I might put the link to this current survey on there and definitely the results.

I'm beginning to wonder if a Hunter Specific First Aid course might be of interest? Maybe I should record a you tube version for ease of access.( but I have a really annoying voice ...)
    I have no financial interest in any of this.Let me know what you think.

Cheers for now,
    Malin
    gadgetman likes this.

Done. Happy to have further contact if you need it

Done, you should contact the hunting magazines in NZ & ask them to put the survey links in them.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!