Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree348Likes

Thread: NZ Hunter

Yep, great show for sure: amazing scenery, great animal photography, camaraderie,....but watching the 3 descending a bloody steep icy/snowy slope with an horrendous drop off, and not being roped together..not good risk management.

MB
    I stalked a pig hunter and his dogs once. It's amazing how much a black dog can look like a goat in dense bush. Rifle was always pointed in a safe direction, so no drama. Another time, another hunt successfully called me in up in the Kawekas. His blue camo really stood out. Again, no drama.

That's the plan , Get out away from everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 888 View Post
    Yep, great show for sure: amazing scenery, great animal photography, camaraderie,....but watching the 3 descending a bloody steep icy/snowy slope with an horrendous drop off, and not being roped together..not good risk management.
    "watching the 3 descending a bloody steep icy/snowy slope with an horrendous drop off, and not being roped together..not good risk management"

It's pretty common practice in New Zealand if you're confident and good on your feet. It's also good risk management if there's nothing suitable to rig an abseil or belay anchor off or if you want to minimise exposure to falling rock and ice. If a group is merely roped together, one can fall and take the rest with them.

What a great episode! Really enjoyed the adventure.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    "Death - our community's number one killer"

Good to see them helping out those other fellas. Young lady got a tahr to remember, nice shot too

Pretty sure I spotted Emil wearing a kuiu pack..... or at least the harness

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    scottrods and Lauries Hut like this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Have to say I wondered if that was actually a "coincidence" not that it mattered, cool story and sets a good example for how people should engage with other hunters and trampers. Not a bad thing to showcase.
    I think more by arrangement than coincidence that miss tahr shooter arrived on the scene.Never mind,she showed the boys woman can shoot.
    Last edited by Trout; 04-03-2024 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer View Post
    Unfortunately I’ve bumped in to a group of hunters in the general vicinity this weeks episode was filmed in. They chose to shoot a deer (took them 5 unsuppressed shots) only a couple of hundred metres from the hut we were using - with a light on in the hut at the time, and in full view of the hut.

My son was in the bush walking back to the hut less than 100 metres away from them when they let loose. I found out from a local farmer that one of the hunters involved was a volunteer with Search and Rescue from a West Coast town further north.
    Your problem with this being? apart from five shots for one animal.
    veitnamcam, 7mmwsm, BRADS and 2 others like this.

I reckon it was one of their best episodes. Loved the climbing, but it's certainly not for this scared of heights sooky! My sphincter still hasn't recovered from the constant clenching; and I was just watching the climb!
    Pengy, Micky Duck and Lauries Hut like this.

You don’t see a problem with someone firing multiple shots within a couple of hundred metres of an occupied hut, knowing fully that there are other hunters in the immediate vicinity, but not knowing where they were??

I hope I never have the misfortune to hunt in the same area as you.
    Pengy and outlander like this.

The Original Striker
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauer View Post
    You don’t see a problem with someone firing multiple shots within a couple of hundred metres of an occupied hut, knowing fully that there are other hunters in the immediate vicinity, but not knowing where they were??

I hope I never have the misfortune to hunt in the same area as you.

Obviously never hunted Clements road then
    Pengy, erniec, Shearer and 5 others like this.
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

Obviously not done much hunting anywhere that gets busy. Had it happen a few times over the years, both in huts and tent camps in plain sight. Don’t get my gruts in a knot over it. Remember, always expect to see other people, positively identify your target and consider your firing zone and you won’t go far wrong. Worked for me for about 49 years now without incident.

Not in the slightest bit interested in hunting anywhere it is busy.

I know a guy who was shot by another hunter around 38 years ago and have seen first hand the issues it has caused him over the years. I’m quite happy to form my own opinion of what I find acceptable and what I don’t, and what you think is of no interest to me.
    outlander likes this.

some of us have shot animals while can still hear mates putting in tent pegs.
    some have shot animals from hut doorway
    lots have shot stag in roar and then had another party anounce their presence after the shot
    most will have shot animals off walking tracks
    some will have been at very busy hut and a possum has turned up and been shot after warning other hut users..I know I have done so.
    in may a lot of us will be firing shots 90mtrs away from other folks quite regularly for a month or three
    as has been said as long as you have positive ID and good fireing zone ,you breaking no laws ,rules or risking anyones life.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

DOC permit conditions state firearms cannot be discharged within 500 metres of a great walk hut and for other huts its a little ambiguous and says not with in the vicinity -quite what that means - be a lot clearer if they had stated a distance - I tend to agree with Micky Duck if a deer was 200 metres from a hut and was a safe shot I don't have a problem with that -I had way more of a problem with the clowns last roar trip who persisted in walking up and down the ridge opposite our camp continually roaring their stupid arse of and very badly at that - they shut up a number of stags that had been going