Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: NZ Hunter Adventures - the mightly Landsborough - Summit to Sea!

Great adventure, looking forward to part 2
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

Ya farkin mad, talk about putting in the hard yards !! That poor Austrian will go home and think that’s normal tahr hunting
    hotsoup and ChrisW like this.

A very short tall person ROKTOY's Avatar

Its one of the best watches on Tv. I enjoyed it but it felt like i was watching a mountain climbing show rather than a hunting show. Next week looks like it could be another similar rafting, adventure hunt that we seen in the past but we see. Dont take it as im moaning thou. Still a great watch and is interesting, ye all mad as cant see me doing that crazy sh t lol. Im sure the rest of the shows are going to be great and wouldnt miss one . Its a credit to the Duleys for putting on a class hunting show that goes for a reasonable time
    Bonecrusher, kidmac42 and rockland like this.

Good watch , Those guys are fit got me thinking only 6/8 weeks till the roar im going to improve the fitness from tomorrow on !
    ANOTHERHUNTER and Steve123 like this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    how do you retrieve your ropes on decent? and also what lengths of rope did you carry. To hairy for me, those bluffs and rock/snow faces looked lethal. Should call your shows Extreme Outdoors with Greg.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

On a trip like this where there are 5 of us but we are trying to minimise weight as much as possible due to all the camera and other gear we have to carry, instead of running the usual 2 man independent rope teams including seperate ropes and snow and rock anchors for each team which would mean a lot of extra weight over the whole party, we use some different techniques and run the whole 5 people as one team. We carry 1 x 60m 9mm single climbing rope (this means a single strand will hold your weight in a fall, as opposed to a half/double rope, which you need two strands to hold a fall) and a 60m super strong and light pull cord - 4mm Dyneema in this case. This is so we can do a full 60m abseil on the main rope, then pull the rope back down with the pull cord. You run the main rope thru the abseil anchor, and then tie and hook it back onto itself with a carabiner to take the weight, then attach your pull cord to the carabiner and run that out alongside the main rope as you descend. Then when you're at the bottom, you pull the 4mm which pulls on the carabiner, sliding it down the main rope, which pulls the main rope thru the anchor and retrieves the whole lot back down to you. Does this make sense? So the only thing you leave behind is a bit of 7mm cord tied round the rock in this case as an abseil anchor. You carry a bit of spare cord to leave behind as anchors for this reason (called tat in climbing jargon).

Mad bastards!! Great watch!

Great show as always Greg and team.

What sort of training do you do to prepare for such a trip?

You guys are carrying a heavy pack in very steep country so must be extremely fit and with good strength

Quote Originally Posted by GregD View Post
    On a trip like this where there are 5 of us but we are trying to minimise weight as much as possible due to all the camera and other gear we have to carry, instead of running the usual 2 man independent rope teams including seperate ropes and snow and rock anchors for each team which would mean a lot of extra weight over the whole party, we use some different techniques and run the whole 5 people as one team. We carry 1 x 60m 9mm single climbing rope (this means a single strand will hold your weight in a fall, as opposed to a half/double rope, which you need two strands to hold a fall) and a 60m super strong and light pull cord - 4mm Dyneema in this case. This is so we can do a full 60m abseil on the main rope, then pull the rope back down with the pull cord. You run the main rope thru the abseil anchor, and then tie and hook it back onto itself with a carabiner to take the weight, then attach your pull cord to the carabiner and run that out alongside the main rope as you descend. Then when you're at the bottom, you pull the 4mm which pulls on the carabiner, sliding it down the main rope, which pulls the main rope thru the anchor and retrieves the whole lot back down to you. Does this make sense? So the only thing you leave behind is a bit of 7mm cord tied round the rock in this case as an abseil anchor. You carry a bit of spare cord to leave behind as anchors for this reason (called tat in climbing jargon).
    Greg,
    Good technical info here thanks, do you run both the 9mm main rope and 4mm pull cord through your personal belay device starting below the caribiner ?

I'll be tuned in again next week !
    Preview

Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm-- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves.

T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiinSeattle View Post
    Greg,
    Good technical info here thanks, do you run both the 9mm main rope and 4mm pull cord through your personal belay device starting below the caribiner ?

I'll be tuned in again next week !
    Just answered my own question with this photo !

Name:  pulling-cord.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  342.8 KB

I have taken a mate from Germany away a couple of times for proper serious tahr hunting trips.
    He shot a decent bull on each trip and has the dubious record of them both having lost a horn on the fall after being shot.
    As per the one on this edition from NZ Hunter.
    I both cases we were able to find the broken off horn after a hell of a lot of searching.
    Thankfully they seem to always break off at the base and you would never know looking t the mounted head.
    All adds to the drama of hunting.
    They are the only 2 bull horns I have ever had knocked off on any of my trips and I have personally had some bulls drop some enormous distances.
    hotsoup likes this.

Nice work, enjoyed that.

Probably don't have to be quite so obvious with all the name-dropping of sponsored product placement though, for a while there practically every sentence had a brand name in it. I get that the sponsorship pays for making the show etc so you need some, but maybe just try to be a bit more subtle so it doesn't sound like a string of advertisements.
    veitnamcam and Shearer like this.

Piopio, Christchurch, Pilbara/GreatSandy Desert WA
    Cracking good show. Even the missus was watching it. Though she was saying i wasn't allowed to do some of the stuff you guys did. Love the work guys!

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Nice work, enjoyed that.

Probably don't have to be quite so obvious with all the name-dropping of sponsored product placement though, for a while there practically every sentence had a brand name in it. I get that the sponsorship pays for making the show etc so you need some, but maybe just try to be a bit more subtle so it doesn't sound like a string of advertisements.
    This is always a juggling act, but simply as you say, the sponsors pay for the show - the viewers don't - so without the sponsors and the promotion they demand for their products, we couldn't produce it. And rest assured, demand they do! We only use and endorse gear we believe in.
    Let's just say, we're not getting rich making NZ Hunter Adventures, far from it. We need to generate more income from the Show to continue making it, so unfortunately that means we will be endorsing, name dropping and talking about the gear that we use.
    Commercial reality I'm afraid.
    Tahr, timber, NRT and 18 others like this.