Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: NZ Whitetail situation

R93
    I know her pretty well as she is the partner of one of my best mates. Very smart lady.
    I was going to have a chat with her and her next time she thrashed me at a game of pool and see if she minded if I mentioned her study on the forum. But it is done now 😆
    She is a mad keen hunter as well.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Kaylyn gave a great presentation at our nzda branch recently, very informative. It could or even should be a herd that the GAC considers for a herd of special but someone needs to do the leg work to get it put forward.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Sorry, I was meaning in regard to the Whitetail.
    Ok. Yup. I am no expert by any means regarding this topic but I know some people that I consider to be.
    I don't think there is a problem regarding genetics.
    They just want to save and improve the herds situation.

Last edited by R93; 06-03-2016 at 08:32 AM.

Caretaker
    Get some into the Kawekas

There were Tahr in the tararuas until recently, all shot out by authorities.
    Pointer and blake like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Kaylyn McBrearty is currently making informal discussions with all major hunting organisations and interests to nominate the Wakatipu Whitetail herd as a herd of special interest (HOSI).

Most hunting interests are very supportive. If large numbers of immature animals continue to be shot there will not be a resource for any hunting in the future, we also need to ensure that future pest control operations do not impact this herd again. R93 is correct there is nothing wrong with the genetics of this herd, a few very large whitetail have been taken in recent years, however most bucks are dead before they are fully mature.

White-tailed Deer Research in New Zealand is also going to run some training seminars to help hunters age whitetail in the field, hopefully in time this herds situation will improve and can be better appreciated by New Zealanders. Currently the herd is in a very bad state, there could very easily be less than 500 animals, please keep this in mind, if you are after meat go for fallow or reds.

Good luck Kaylyn.

Look where the Manawatu sambar was 30 years ago, I don't see how a 10-20 year break won't see the whitetail back to a viable population in the Whakatipu.

As for the Wapiti, VC and R93 are right. We have the pure imported genetics available to improve the herd quicker than selection on the current wild genetics, why wouldn't you do a release program in conjunction with the aerial programme targeting reds? Defies belief

R93
    Might be hunting with a wap foundation member soon. He explained a few things as to the reason why not to me last year.
    I will get him to remind me so I can pass it on.
    Stagasorous might know first hand.
    Iirc it's all doc blocking any progress apart from red culls.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Look where the Manawatu sambar was 30 years ago, I don't see how a 10-20 year break won't see the whitetail back to a viable population in the Whakatipu.

As for the Wapiti, VC and R93 are right. We have the pure imported genetics available to improve the herd quicker than selection on the current wild genetics, why wouldn't you do a release program in conjunction with the aerial programme targeting reds? Defies belief
    Who says they havnt already!!!

My understanding is that the govt. blocked any chance of that with their laws on releasing pest animals, and doc happily plays that card every time it's suggested
    R93 likes this.

Which is why all deer/pigs/tahr/cham need to be listed as Game rather than pests.
    Pointer and Matt2308 like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Which is why all deer/pigs/tahr/cham need to be listed as Game rather than pests.
    That will only happen if the government sees a dollar in it.

I have heard the rumours of new wap blood in the park but talking to people who frequent the area daily they have yet to see it.

And any clandestine releases won't make a drop in the gene pool. It has to be a large scale release of pure bulls and cows followed by successive releases over time, supplemented by aerial culling of red type animals. A few wap bulls snuck over the fence won't do it
    veitnamcam and R93 like this.