Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree35Likes
  • 23 Post By luv2safari
  • 7 Post By luv2safari
  • 1 Post By RUMPY
  • 4 Post By luv2safari

Thread: Owen Gets His Buddy a Nice Mulie

Owen Gets His Buddy a Nice Mulie

Owen's buddy, Nolan, got a deer tag in a hard to hunt area of N Central Nevada. My grandson had a little local knowledge about the area, but not a lot. They went to the rugged Desatoya mountains and hunted hard for four days. They saw does and a some nice mulie bucks, but they couldn't get close enough. This morning they found this guy, a good solid 4X4 mule deer buck.

Nolan made a 350 yard shot with his 7mm Rem Mag and dumped him. The Best Part was they had caught up with him on the back side of where they started and 400 yards above a good ATV trail.

I'm real proud of these three young men.

The Desatoyas:

What they pulled into my farm with: That's Nolan.

L to R
    Owen
    Nolan
    Caleb, Owen's step brother

Happy hunters:
    199p, Brian, cb14 and 20 others like this.
    Hunt with Class and Classics

“I have more promises than a vestal virgin, less time than a parking meter and less results than a sterile sire.”

Well done.
    What body weight do they think it had?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Nolan View Post
    Well done.
    What body weight do they think it had?
    On the hoof I would guess 240 pounds. He was a prime 4 year old buck.

I had my favorite, fresh deer liver, premium bacon, and onions for dinner. I'm 75 now, and it's been the traditional first meal from the deer for as long as I can remember, and that's a looonnnnggg time.

If the liver is good the deer meat in general will be good.

The deer after field dressing it:
    rugerman, Mooseman, Maxx and 4 others like this.

“I have more promises than a vestal virgin, less time than a parking meter and less results than a sterile sire.”

Thats cool !! Thanks for posting

Well done lads

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Very cool to see some hunting from the other side of the globe.

When I worked in Montana over 20 years ago my boss said if we saw a pronghorn antelope on a lease block we summered the cows on I could shoot it.

I was on the quad bike looking into a scrubby gully checking the cattle when I saw a nice mule buck like the one above. I raced over and told the boss and he says "why didn't you shoot it".
    I said I didn't think he had a tag for it, he says he has tags for everything.
    We race back across the paddock and searched but never saw it again.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    When I worked in Montana over 20 years ago my boss said if we saw a pronghorn antelope on a lease block we summered the cows on I could shoot it.

I was on the quad bike looking into a scrubby gully checking the cattle when I saw a nice mule buck like the one above. I raced over and told the boss and he says "why didn't you shoot it".
    I said I didn't think he had a tag for it, he says he has tags for everything.
    We race back across the paddock and searched but never saw it again.

LOL...I understand the frustration. We saw these when scouting before the season.

That's a perfect representation of a "dang good mulie buck" for sure. Congrats!! I'm wondering what are his/their thoughts on hunting in the US vs hunting NZ? Besides the difference hunting sage vs the hell thick stuff in NZ of course

That's a fine buck, the boys should be proud to have got that one, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Schmo View Post
    That's a perfect representation of a "dang good mulie buck" for sure. Congrats!! I'm wondering what are his/their thoughts on hunting in the US vs hunting NZ? Besides the difference hunting sage vs the hell thick stuff in NZ of course
    We have far fewer deer, and they're in Wide Open spaces, but they know how to use cover. A lot of stalks can cover miles, just to find you passed them as they appear 1,000 yards behind and going like hell to the top of a ridge. We do buck brush in deep canyons and on ridges with thick mountain mahogany, a tough low bush/tree that axes bounce off of.

Most hunters here would have trouble with your thick habitat; it's like the west side of the Sierra NV mountains in California. Your mountains are steeper than the Sierras. The foothills there have madrone and poison oak that will have you red and scratching like poison ivy.

Our elevations are tough on a lot of flatlanders. Hunting at 6,000 to 9,000 feet in steep mountains with thick juniper, pinion, aspen, and mahogany isn't for sissies. Your country and my state aren't for sissies.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2safari View Post
    LOL...I understand the frustration. We saw these when scouting before the season.

Have to post the photo of the Muley I saw coming out of Flagstaff heading towards the north rim. Was pissing rain but managed to get one snap of him. I’ll see if I can up load the pic. It’s a going away shot but I thought he’s big!
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.