Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Lupo

Thread: Stewart Island Kaika

Stewart Island Kaika

Hey guys.
    Have Kaika block booked for next week, after any info possible. First bigger hunting trip after coming back from overseas O.E.
    Am a rate payer on the island (800sqm block of native bush in the centre of oban) if anyone is ever stuck and wants somewhere to pitch a tent.
    Going over with the mana have our own dingys ect...
    Half the group is hunters other is fishing and diving thought it looked like a good block to do both.
    Will be the first trip hunting on Stewart island but very keen to make it a regular event.
    Cheers in advance 👍
    csmiffy, Scotts and XR500 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lupo View Post
    Hey guys.
    Have Kaika block booked for next week, after any info possible. First bigger hunting trip after coming back from overseas O.E.
    Am a rate payer on the island (800sqm block of native bush in the centre of oban) if anyone is ever stuck and wants somewhere to pitch a tent.
    Half the group is hunters other is fishing and diving thought it looked like a good block to do both.
    Will be the first trip hunting on Stewart island but very keen to make it a regular event.
    Cheers in advance ��
    Good luck Im coming down in Feb

Quote Originally Posted by Lupo View Post
    Hey guys.
    Cheers in advance ��
    Stewart Island is best experienced by doing all three of those, so your group is on the right track.

The deer can be very nosey, so don't let your guard down, even 100m from camp.

And take lots of photos! Its a magic place

Haven't been so no advice sorry but I am keen to hear how you get on ��

Haven’t hunted but have done a few walks on the island. Saw a deer a day walking the NW circuit and could’ve quite easily shot half of them. Like lots of what I’ve read about the deer on the island, they tended to be close to shore, not up high. Lots of sign down low too but not so much in the higher spots. Haven’t ventured down south but it’s high on the list. Might take you up on the tent pitching . Good luck.

CJD
    I hunted north tikotahi about 10 years back which kind of borders on your block, found the deer numbers a lot higher than the more accessible doc blocks in patterson inlet which I have hunted since.

Bashing through the crown fern most deer I just saw the flashing white tail as they bounded off. They can be anywhere at any time so expect a lot of this. Did manage to shoot one spooked deer as it stopped for a sneaky look back.

Most success I had was sitting in a tree in the evening near a water source and a lot of fresh sign. Doing this got me 3 deer that trip.

On other trips slow stalking along rivers and creeks worked well as your sound is somewhat muffled.

Have never shot one on the beach but that is a viable option too.

We dived and fished that trip too. probably could have been more adventurous with the diving, but just shot a few butters and small trumpeter.
    from memory we caught a lot of sharks off the boat.
    The other trips I have caught a lot of big cod just hand lining off the rocks.
    Saw several seven gillers too so expect that and keep your fish bag away from your toes

hope you guys have an awesome trip!