Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Stewart island first timer

Stewart island first timer

I'm heading down to Stewart island for a week next year chasing Whitetail and bluecod. Will be going into Abrahams Bay. Is there any gear that you guys think is a must take. First time to the island. Also any tips for a North Island snapper fisherman to catch a feed of blue cod around Abrahams. Ledger rig and bait? Softbait? Spots or what depth to try? Will have a 4m tinny with a 20hp outboard with us. Also any tips for finding a whitetail? Thanks heaps guys

Sandfly head net

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Pengy, Finnwolf and Dublinmooloo like this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

We once had a competition to find an item on the boat that wouldn't catch a bluecod.
    7mmwsm, mikee, Pengy and 6 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Dublinmooloo View Post
    I'm heading down to Stewart island for a week next year chasing Whitetail and bluecod. Will be going into Abrahams Bay. Is there any gear that you guys think is a must take. First time to the island. Also any tips for a North Island snapper fisherman to catch a feed of blue cod around Abrahams. Ledger rig and bait? Softbait? Spots or what depth to try? Will have a 4m tinny with a 20hp outboard with us. Also any tips for finding a whitetail? Thanks heaps guys
    burley with Kina - handline all ya need - long shank hook - paua bait free floating - works well -
    Moa Hunter and Dublinmooloo like this.

The tidal fall in Abrahams bay is quite large. Tide goes out a long way. Take a really long mooring rope setup or a small inflatable dinghy to paddle out to your other dinghy. Also a rangefinder because you might get some long shots across the inlet behind the hut

First went there in 1980's but went back 4-5 times to there and other blocks in Patterson inlet since. We got a couple of deer in the bush - missed one a point blank that run up and stood at the base of the tree I had climbed up. There are open grassy faces above the coast in places but suspect these get a fair bit of attention - sat over a couple til dark saw zip. Kiwi out eating sand hoppers in the morning - we were plagued by wild cats which I hope are long gone now. Fresh deer prints around camp site most mornings - no hut back then, but stayed in the hut at Freds camp once, heading out and put up a deer less than 50m from the hut.
    We snorkeled/fished the rocky head lands on either side of the bay - scallops the size of dinner plates back then on the sand. Had to do a lot of looking but found crays in amongst the weed on the points often in unusual places - went back to same spots on subsequent trips and got cray. Shot a Moki that bent my Hawaiian sling it was so big. We had a tinny too so we could cover ground and find places where the fishing was good - cod and trumpeter mainly. Lodger rig and bait will work of course as will soft baits or lures. I fish Marlborough sounds cod and no longer bother with stinky bait for cod much more fun on light gear with a soft bait or lure. Only use bait for snapper down Marlborough way now.

Only done two trips there. Softbait for blue cod- whitetail - hard to stalk for me - but I’m way too noisy in the bush anyway. Best way for me was to find the broadleaf then the sign and set up a position with good sight lines and sit. Trail cam certainly helped pinpoint area

Only other thing is that 100 m inland from the coast was probably as far in as you want to go the bush gets pretty tight.

It’s a great place but take plenty of Off!
    Dublinmooloo likes this.

DEET would be high up my list.

Fiordland and the west coast has some sandflies.

Stewy has millions of them.

If you need salt ice for the trip flick me a pm
    Dublinmooloo likes this.

a pair of overalls ISNT silly...plus gloves and head covering to keep sandflies at bay when resting.
    sit n wait.
    watch beachs at low tide,they like eating seaweed
    take a good compass and TRUST IT.
    direction is difficult with low lay of the land,no big hills to get your bearings.
    slow down till your going too slow,then slow down some more.
    enjoy the trip.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.nz/f17/trip-50021/

That’s my trip report from 2019.
    There’s a few good tree stands.
    Long rope for the boat. Worked a treat.
    File for the axe. Rubbish bags to bring out your trash.

Enjoy it’s a cool spot
    AMac, Shearer, Micky Duck and 3 others like this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.nz/f17/trip-50021/

That’s my trip report from 2019.
    There’s a few good tree stands.
    Long rope for the boat. Worked a treat.
    File for the axe. Rubbish bags to bring out your trash.

Enjoy it’s a cool spot
    Brilliant story Slideshow really enjoyed the read thanks ! - just had a look around in my office and found photos from the last trip I did to the island, and it was to Abrahams bay -brings back a few good memories, I went there with my Dad, one of his mates and my twin boys when they were 11 or 12. The boys are 35 now and Dad has passed away so it must have been 1999 or there abouts. No deer shot that trip but a pic of the twins holding some really good crays that we got in the inlet plus some whopping cod too.

Cheers guys for all the tips and advice. I will have to post a write up of the trip next year. A few good things to know. Thanks

wtd
    Heres some helpful info about the hut https://www.rhct.org.nz/index.php/abrahams-bay

and the deer, this was 174 metres from the hut https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z9zEyJhxtM&t=180s
    Dublinmooloo likes this.

Name:  a1.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  1.66 MB The best place to find dead wood is left on this pick. Theres a stand of manuka on the spit of land just before it curves back into the bay. Other wise straight across the bay from the hut again a ridge comes down that has loads of standing dead wood. Really dry even in the wet. Theres a big tree stand on that rise behind the hut. About in line with that red tree you can see there and cust before it folds into the next valley.
    Micky Duck and Dublinmooloo like this.

Ill have a look and see if I still have my way points off of map toaster.
    Dublinmooloo likes this.