Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Sarvo DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    back in S.E AU
    Posts
    255

    Parks Victoria following suit

    so parks Victoria like what DoC do an are again culling burnt national park that is Legal for Hunting and quite popular area as it give us the "tops" we all desire to hunt, failing the trek to NZ........

    Targetting Sambar Deer.... reason cos they touch up the bushes tats re growing since fires.... but they browse an arnt in huge numbers and covids locked up most of victoria from huntng them since countries opened up from fires...... too many RED no go zones that we cant hunt, they could cull.... bit close an too far

    bit of a shame but think there is a storm brewing between hunters an some show of numbers is being called for.

    got to stand for something, or fall on nothing..



  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Tasman
    Posts
    402
    FFS!
    Just moved from NZ, which is getting hammered, and now the sambar are in the cross hairs too.
    Hope you still manage to find the odd good stag. I’m hoping to get down there next year if I can.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    back in S.E AU
    Posts
    255
    Aerial Deer Cull - Crushing Rural Communities - Sporting Shooter

    sporting shooter Article tonight Regarding my concerns earlier this week

  4. #4
    Member Micky Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Geraldine
    Posts
    7,263
    yip that surely sucks big time.
    hopefully your locals can let helicopter operators know they will be boycotted in future because of it and maybe it will dampen their keenness to participate.
    also push for ALL carcasses to be recovered and meat donated to food banks as has been done with our wapiti this time around.
    if they must cull,at least make it be used for some good...it also ties up flying time recovering animal so total hours used shooting will be less than pure search n destroy .

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Jindera Australia
    Posts
    152
    Unfortunately rec hunters are not going close to managing the increase in numbers so this is one response by the land managers
    When I started sambar hunting 30+ years ago the best hound teams near the buffalo National Park were shooting 60-80 deer a year Over the last few years hound crews have been topping 300 Unfortunately something has to change

  6. #6
    Member Micky Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Geraldine
    Posts
    7,263
    yes the access and permission to hunt are the first two that need changing...its the same old story...no you cant come and hunt here...or season is closed or no feasible access,then authorities moan numbers too high and slaughter.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    back in S.E AU
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    yip that surely sucks big time.
    hopefully your locals can let helicopter operators know they will be boycotted in future because of it and maybe it will dampen their keenness to participate.
    also push for ALL carcasses to be recovered and meat donated to food banks as has been done with our wapiti this time around.
    if they must cull,at least make it be used for some good...it also ties up flying time recovering animal so total hours used shooting will be less than pure search n destroy .
    it is proberly a Kiwi company LOL!!
    an every other day of the week a chopper isnt allowed to land or drop hunters off inthe Park.... lol.
    the bush difers from nz so becaue its burnt, damage can be done, prior to that, it was 116 deer and 132deer in some large amount of hours flying

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    back in S.E AU
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by Ackley View Post
    Unfortunately rec hunters are not going close to managing the increase in numbers so this is one response by the land managers
    When I started sambar hunting 30+ years ago the best hound teams near the buffalo National Park were shooting 60-80 deer a year Over the last few years hound crews have been topping 300 Unfortunately something has to change
    Gday, im "hilldog" which might explain my rants.
    hope ya well.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    back in S.E AU
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    FFS!
    Just moved from NZ, which is getting hammered, and now the sambar are in the cross hairs too.
    Hope you still manage to find the odd good stag. I’m hoping to get down there next year if I can.
    Come , "blow our Does, Bro! " its just as awesome, back pack in an you may still find a stag of good size... just not on the Dargo plains or Howitt plains lol

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: Dry Suit
    By Boaraxa in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-08-2020, 08:33 PM
  2. Hello from Victoria
    By Zane Cameron in forum Introductions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-03-2019, 02:40 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-02-2018, 09:08 PM
  4. Leupold Alumina caps to suit 44mm scope - suit vx6
    By crnkin in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 28-05-2015, 09:03 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!