Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: PLB while hunting

57JL
    well done on having your PLB in a safe place so you could use it. A lesson I learned the hard way mine was in my bum bag that got pulled off me when I fall broke my right femur and had to wait close to two days before being found.
    BSA270, Swanny and XR500 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieZAR View Post
    Do they chage anything for the SAR to come get ya? Lucky havent had to use my PLB
    No, the theory being that people won't request help if they don't think they can afford it.

Majority of rescue costs comes out of the police budget.

A donation within your budget is appreciated by LandSAR or rescue helicopter trust.

Another good lesson for those that need glasses to read, is take your PLB out every now and then and read the instructions so you can use it without your glasses on.
    As a fall down a bank will probably separate you from your glasses.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Ned
    I did an intro to white water kayak course recently. The instructor does mountain rescue. He said a genuine PLB activation for rescue and you can get a funded replacement unit. Anyone know about this? Or which agency it would be through?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Possibly your household insurance???

Quote Originally Posted by Ned View Post
    I did an intro to white water kayak course recently. The instructor does mountain rescue. He said a genuine PLB activation for rescue and you can get a funded replacement unit. Anyone know about this? Or which agency it would be through?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    It is a free service. I must have known something as I just gave my annual donation the week before.
    The medic told me to take the plb into H &F and they will get it reset with a new battery. Not sure if there is a cost but I would willingly pay it. An essential piece of kit.
    Micky Duck, BSA270, Steelo and 1 others like this.

Ned
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    It is a free service. I must have known something as I just gave my annual donation the week before.
    The medic told me to take the plb into H &F and they will get it reset with a new battery. Not sure if there is a cost but I would willingly pay it. An essential piece of kit.
    I would pay it too. If the incentive is to encourage people to use the device early in a rescue situation, rather than delay and potentially add complexity to a SAR operation, then it's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieZAR View Post
    Do they chage anything for the SAR to come get ya? Lucky havent had to use my PLB
    I'd rather stretcher you out in the daylight than night time and I'm pretty sure the chopper boys feel the same. Just adds another level of complexity. Cost or pride should never come in to the thought process
    Micky Duck, BSA270, RUMPY and 2 others like this.

We should all probably be making annual donation to LandSAR and/or Helicopter Rescue Trust. I have done so for many years even though never used either personally. If you can afford to feed a rifle you can afford a donation.
    BSA270, Swanny, sig4x4 and 2 others like this.

Bloody good reminder. I hunt with daypack on. Don't carry anything on my belt. Lost too many good knives that way. Used to carry PLB on back, worried I might get in situation where it was trapped there. Now carry on chest in bino bag. Had a mate out hunting few years back, he had a significant heart attack. His PLB was at home and I didn't have one. Got him out and a flight to Hamilton that night with surgery saw him right. When I went and got myself a PLB. Now with me always.
    57jl, Micky Duck, Swanny and 1 others like this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

57JL
    Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    No, the theory being that people won't request help if they don't think they can afford it.

Majority of rescue costs comes out of the police budget.

A donation within your budget is appreciated by LandSAR or rescue helicopter trust.
    ACC pay for it is what I was told

As a suggestion if you hunt with someone else ensure they know how to activate the unit as you may not be physically able to. moreifficult if it's dark.

Quote Originally Posted by 57jl View Post
    ACC pay for it is what I was told
    Only if there’s an injury, otherwise most PLB responses come out of RCC funding.

57JL
    I just replaced my PLB $449.00 it is a SAFELINK SOLO PLB KANNARD MARINE and I brought a chest pack in that I can put all my essential safety gear from BUSHLIFE
    Micky Duck likes this.

I've got the inreach clipped in to the front of my pack hip belt, or it's in the top zipped pocket if it's a wet day. Lessons from others, if you take a tumble you have to be able to reach it without having to take the pack off, as you may not be able to.
    "Death - our community's number one killer"