Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Pre hunt stuff ups

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I want to hear from people who have forgotten or lost their knives. What do you do if you shoot an animal? Teeth, sharp rock?
    Stomp an empty case and use the neck.
    7mmsaum and MB like this.

About a month or so ago I set off after work for a quick fly camp overnighter on the Ruahine tops. First issue was the blisters that my not quite new boots gave me in the first hour of hiking. Cut that one off at the pass by going barefoot to the tops, which believe it or not was actually quite pleasant.... Issue two revealed itself at the top, when I found my 2litre water bottle had transferred 1.5litres into my sleeping bag. Not only was my down bag worth nothing to me, but I had only enough water to make dinner, and a quick splash to quench my thirst.

Never again will I trust a milk bottle lid!
    MB likes this.

Post lockdown south island trip in my hast forgot my tent luckily I had my bivy bag was bloody cold none the less. 2016 able lake tahr ballot mate had purchased a new rem 700 in 7mm mag from Napier a cobbler on the trip from wairoa picked it up and bought it down to us we went to site it in as soon as we got their only to realise the silly bloody rem extractor was bend and wouldn't clip over the shell and chamber a round luckily we had 3 other functioning rifles. Same trip my tent leaked like a dive on the first night and luckily we had a spare gear tent
    Pongo12 likes this.

Not pre hunt but...

Mid feb, stinking hot. Left truck at 2pm. 5hrs later in a sweet soaked singlet & shorts above the Bush line traversing thru patches of scree and tussock.

Two shots ring out from below in the bush, I stop look about for a few minutes and then turn and again head uphill. Just in time to see the neck and back of a spooked deer cross the ridge above me.

Throw off the backpack in the middle of a scree patch and run left to see if i can get a shot on the deer. Buggered if i know where it went?

Do you think i could find my backpack.....not in the middle of any scree patch anywhere.

Heart rate got up a bit, took me a nervous and stressful hour to find it. Was starting to get a bit chilli too, no extra clothes, no head torch, no nothing. (all in the backpack)

It had rolled to the bottom of the scree patch and was nestled against the tussock.

I was very very relieved when I saw it I tell you !!!

NEVER will I do that again

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

I managed to have a frustrating prehunt stuff up recently. Heading down to hunt, after an hour or so drive in the mates ute from where we met up, we pulled over on the farm we had access to get across to a DOC block. Sighted a mob of goats as we were beginning to get our stuff out of the truck, so quickly go to get my new Tikka, keen to blood it for the first time. Reach into my rifle bag and find that my bolt had come out of my rifle bag and stayed behind in my car, an hour away. Classic simple, easily avoidable mistake! Definitely a lesson that I will remember, double checking gear in between vehicle change overs.