Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Pretty disappointing

Pretty disappointing

Had the day off yesterday and even with some rain and flooded rivers decided I'd head to the coast to recover a trail cam that's been set awhile and have a quick adventure.

With side creeks pumping and having the dog along it was a bit hairy in a few spots and a bit of swimming was required for me and the pooch.

Upon getting to the spot the disappointment started when I realized someone had found and stolen the camera. After 30 minutes of searching the ground to check it hadn't fallen out or slipped down the tree I turned around as I didn't want to be swimming in the dark.

Pretty disappointing that people in the hunting community think this is acceptable. It's not different than stealing from my wallet. By the time you factor in diesel driving over and back, the cost of the camera, batteries and memory card someone's just stolen a few hundred dollars never mind the time taken to come collect it or the 3 months of footage no gone.

Name:  20220903_153607.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  4.56 MB

Here a pic of Fleur a bit frustrated after almost being washed away twice to come get a camera that wasn't there.

PS: if you happened to be the one that "found" the camera and wanted to return it I would really appreciate that also

That's shit news Stocky. I have a mate with a trail cam that he said I can borrow but I'm a bit reluctant to use it because I don't want it to get "lost"

That's pretty scummy, I have trail cam as well but have been reluctant to set it up anywhere for the same reasons. Sorry you have been burned there are some truly shit human beings out there unfortunately
    #DANNYCENT

bit of a bugga all right....now kee pan eye out on forums ,face ach etc...you might just see a photo pop up that you realise if from YOUR camera......
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    Had the day off yesterday and even with some rain and flooded rivers decided I'd head to the coast to recover a trail cam that's been set awhile and have a quick adventure.

With side creeks pumping and having the dog along it was a bit hairy in a few spots and a bit of swimming was required for me and the pooch.

Upon getting to the spot the disappointment started when I realized someone had found and stolen the camera. After 30 minutes of searching the ground to check it hadn't fallen out or slipped down the tree I turned around as I didn't want to be swimming in the dark.

Pretty disappointing that people in the hunting community think this is acceptable. It's not different than stealing from my wallet. By the time you factor in diesel driving over and back, the cost of the camera, batteries and memory card someone's just stolen a few hundred dollars never mind the time taken to come collect it or the 3 months of footage no gone.

Attachment 205344

Here a pic of Fleur a bit frustrated after almost being washed away twice to come get a camera that wasn't there.

PS: if you happened to be the one that "found" the camera and wanted to return it I would really appreciate that also
    If you swam that river you are a legend. Sorry to hear about your trail cam, I hope you get it back.
    Just remember loose lips sink ships and people can't help themselves and have to talk so you have a chance of getting it back.
    Micky Duck and matagouri like this.
    When hunting think safety first

Arseholes.
    Pengy likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

It is more common than you think. Unfortunately I also had a camera stolen on the Coast. It was secured to the tree with a Python lock, and by the looks of the tree they had shot the lock several times to steal the camera.

It wouldn’t have surprised me to find the SD card removed, but the whole camera gone did. The camera was security coded as well, so no good to the thief unless they had the patience to try 10,000 possible combo’s.

It would be nice to think that someone who travelled to such a remote area to hunt would be honest, but unfortunately it seems that light fingered people are everywhere nowadays. I wish you well on getting your camera back - but realistically don’t like your chances.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Proberbly thrown in the river man, Much higher chance of someone just wanting to get rid of someone from there spot rather then them actually wanting the camera
    rugerman likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    If you swam that river you are a legend. Sorry to hear about your trail cam, I hope you get it back.
    Just remember loose lips sink ships and people can't help themselves and have to talk so you have a chance of getting it back.
    Just swam a few slow flowing edges luckily would have given up much earlier if i had to try cross the main flow. Prefer to swim the slow flowing rather than try cross some of the side creeks when they are pumping especially with the dog. Much nastier I would have likely turned back.

And I'm sure someone's heard about it. Doubt I'll be getting it back but a bit gutting as I decided to go collect it instead of going hunting on a mates place.
    Micky Duck and 7mm Rem Mag like this.

Sorry to hear that bad news, dude. Don't judge all mankind on the occasional butthole. Commiserations.

Attachment 205344

Years ago in the NW Ruahines the cullers could safely leave the food cabinets open because the hunters that travelled in there were honest. As time advanced the cupboards were locked. Nothing has changed.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    I haven't lost a camera yet, but I'm pretty picky about where I put them. I decided not to use rechargeable batteries as it makes it more expensive if the camera disapears.
    I have only had one photo of another hunter. If I come across a camera I just wave and carry on, or occasionally make sure I walk past on the way out with a load of venison
    Micky Duck and Stocky like this.

Fortunately I've never lost a camera but I've had an SD card taken. I'm pretty realistic about setting trail cameras on public land. Although people should leave them alone I accept that I might lose one occasionally.
    After trying a variety of cameras over the years I've come to the conclusion that the size of a camera is a major factor in how visible it is. I now use Little Acorn cams as they are the smallest, most reliable cam I've found so far.

yeah same here,Love to wave at peoples trail cameras.... and your right its a hell of a lot of fun if you come back with venison .
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Just swam a few slow flowing edges luckily would have given up much earlier if i had to try cross the main flow. Prefer to swim the slow flowing rather than try cross some of the side creeks when they are pumping especially with the dog. Much nastier I would have likely turned back.

And I'm sure someone's heard about it. Doubt I'll be getting it back but a bit gutting as I decided to go collect it instead of going hunting on a mates place.
    I'm sure you're experienced Stocky, but go carefully with those rivers mate. More Kiwis killed in NZ rivers than all other outdoor accidents causes combined. I've had a couple of VERY close shaves with death in rivers myself. Take care mate.
    Pengy likes this.