Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Animal processing

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Take it to a butcher

20 24.69%
  • Take it to a mate who does it for me

5 6.17%
  • Cut it up myself

67 82.72%
  • Just take the back steaks and easy to carry meat

6 7.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Processing animals

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    you could do a video I don't mind paying $20 for a disc .would help me remember for processing the odd deer that I get as I usually forget most things and we get heaps of stirfry of some sort of cut.
    Darren Meates the Game Butcher has a DVD out about processing game meats. He certainly has a book about it. I know I have the book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    berg243 likes this.

Love cutting up my own meat and then getting out the kenwood mixer and doing an hour or so of mincing to clean up the offcuts etc.
    Snags and patties I’ll get done at the local butcher. Last trip down south with some city mates, showed them all how to skin and break down a deer. They were pros by the 3rd animal, skill they’ll have forever!!
    dannyb likes this.

I voted take it to a butcher. I have done it myself in the past and did so with the last one, but the butcher I use does a far better job than I can in a fraction of the time. The cost is fair and I see it as good value for the product I get at the end. The last one I got I did myself and it took me most of a day. (I am no expert....) and most of the front ended up as mince, and the back was steak or casserole chunks. I am better off spending that day out on the hill either hunting or stalking without hunting, and enjoying my limited time off and let the butcher do his thing. That way I get to do what I enjoy more and he gets paid. Its a win win. It is not that I cannot do it, it is more that I want to make the most of what chances I get. I do like to know where my food comes from, and I do know what is involved in doing it.

Same with my mechanic. I am sorting a few oil leaks out on a car and thought I would give it a go. I have learnt a lot and am mostly enjoying it, but I am now at a point where I have to say I know what needs to be done and that it important to do it better than I can so I have asked for help. But stuff I can do myself I will not pay someone to do if it is relatively simple and wont take all day. (Oil changes, minor repairs etc)
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    I voted take it to a butcher. I have done it myself in the past and did so with the last one, but the butcher I use does a far better job than I can in a fraction of the time. The cost is fair and I see it as good value for the product I get at the end. The last one I got I did myself and it took me most of a day. (I am no expert....) and most of the front ended up as mince, and the back was steak or casserole chunks. I am better off spending that day out on the hill either hunting or stalking without hunting, and enjoying my limited time off and let the butcher do his thing. That way I get to do what I enjoy more and he gets paid. Its a win win. It is not that I cannot do it, it is more that I want to make the most of what chances I get. I do like to know where my food comes from, and I do know what is involved in doing it.

Same with my mechanic. I am sorting a few oil leaks out on a car and thought I would give it a go. I have learnt a lot and am mostly enjoying it, but I am now at a point where I have to say I know what needs to be done and that it important to do it better than I can so I have asked for help. But stuff I can do myself I will not pay someone to do if it is relatively simple and wont take all day. (Oil changes, minor repairs etc)
    I would add that the butcher manages to get more meat off than I can making the most of every carcass, and has a way of disposing of the bones making his efforts even more attractive.
    dannyb likes this.