Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Proposed 1080 drop for Raukumara Urutawa and Waioweka

If you want basic dates and basic info go to the DoC site--poison ops; and the OSPRI site.
    If you want greater detail go to your local regional council, and also to the District Health Board , Medical Officer of Health or the Health Protection Officer. For detailed regulations on the use of poisons go to the EPA website and look through the HSNO regulations.

A tangled web so sort through with sackfuls of red herrings, smoke and mirrors along the way.
    A330driver likes this.

Bus driver
    Quote”A tangled web so sort through with sackfuls of red herrings, smoke and mirrors along the way.”

That says it all.....

The video.....1080 science:how and why 1080 poison is used in New Zealand .... is a very “touching “ piece
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

There does seem to be a good undercurrent of noise in opposition coming through, also seems to be a good groundswell in opposition to plastic on the way, maybe we can sort our shit out.
    Steve123 likes this.

Bus driver
    The video is worth watching.......but as with most issues,there are two sides to the story......for dogs,it’s a very bad deal....

Problem with the opposition there is way to much pseudo science and anecdotal claims that it is easy to paint the whole community as loonies.

Sticking to the core message of poison bait laying methodology and how targeted baiting reduces by-catch and is more beneficial to local biodiversity is key. There are better ways to achieve the same reduction in pests.

Running round in circles screeching about banning 1080 while offering no alternative will achieve nothing but make us all look like nutjobs
    Tahr, Steve123, Micky Duck and 3 others like this.

Bus driver
    Quote”There are better ways to achieve the same reduction in pests.”

Agree with your post nick.....but according to those in the video,(and that’s open for discussion)they will tell you otherwise,I don’t get the view these are “paid”actors,they have some compelling evidence that 1080 is the way to go,,it’s not my view,but it’s certainly worth listening to

Bus driver
    Thank you for your email enquiry. Please find attached a link to the interactive Pesticides Summaries map that provides information on where toxins have been laid, are proposed to be laid, and will be laid.

The first page contains overall "Important and Caution Notes for Pesticide Summaries", at the bottom of this page, after you press ' I accept', the map will be available.

I hope this is of assistance to you.

Kind regards,

Ann

Geocortex Viewer for HTML5

Its not on the cards for 2019 just read a document for consultation for the proposed 2019 aerial 1080 and ground based pest control operation.

Had a meeting at Waikura last week about this 1080 drop, what was a shock is that the speaker wants to target deer and drop 1080 up to 100m from station boundary, didn't get to meeting myself but will post anything else I hear.

If I recall correctly the ERMA 1080 review declared targeting deer and large mammals with 1080 (sodium monofluoroacetate was illegal.)
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by witchcraft View Post
    Had a meeting at Waikura last week about this 1080 drop, what was a shock is that the speaker wants to target deer and drop 1080 up to 100m from station boundary, didn't get to meeting myself but will post anything else I hear.
    I hope that the meeting had 'minute's taken - ask for a copy, without any heads up about why. Who was the speaker representing ?
    sore head stoat likes this.

Banned
    As we know 'officially' 1080 does not kill Kea, however there is right now a research program at Arthurs Pass into preventing Kea deaths through the use of different Kea repellants

There is only one "W" in Waioeka....just saying.
    Maxx likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    As we know 'officially' 1080 does not kill Kea, however there is right now a research program at Arthurs Pass into preventing Kea deaths through the use of different Kea repellants
    Eh, "As we know"... come on be accurate and dont put your spin on this... the powers that be acknowledge that kea are killed by 1080 , if they didnt why the hell would they be doing trials to find a kea repellent for 1080 baits ?
    Tahr likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sore head stoat View Post
    Eh, "As we know"... come on be accurate and dont put your spin on this... the powers that be acknowledge that kea are killed by 1080 , if they didnt why the hell would they be doing trials to find a kea repellent for 1080 baits ?
    Yes on the one hand trials but on the other flat denial that many birds are killed, this is the contradictory points I wished to hi-light. First hand on a property we owned, the entire Kea colony of 12 birds was wiped out. The Kakariki's also were killed.
    At a guess Kea have a Matriarchal / Patriarchal flock structure that once upset destroys the colony to the extent that the old home range is not re-populated by surviving birds ?