Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Proposed 1080 drop for Raukumara Urutawa and Waioweka

I was talking to a local NZDA member the other day and saying another 1080 drop had occurred in AP nat park. He had a bit of a moan about it...

What I cant understand is why the local NZDA don't have a direct line to DOC and ask for tracking tunnel / chew card results or other methods that DOC use to establish that pest populations are getting out of hand .. the other thing I dont understand is why DOC are not proactive and send tracking tunnel results etc to local NZDA branches or have them available monthly on there website for all to see ?
    Steve123, Moa Hunter and Ned like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Yes on the one hand trials but on the other flat denial that many birds are killed, this is the contradictory points I wished to hi-light. First hand on a property we owned, the entire Kea colony of 12 birds was wiped out. The Kakariki's also were killed.
    At a guess Kea have a Matriarchal / Patriarchal flock structure that once upset destroys the colony to the extent that the old home range is not re-populated by surviving birds ?
    https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/AK22...p-kea-safe.htm

Paragraph 5.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcraft View Post
    Had a meeting at Waikura last week about this 1080 drop, what was a shock is that the speaker wants to target deer and drop 1080 up to 100m from station boundary, didn't get to meeting myself but will post anything else I hear.
    The problem is Raukumara's is basically land locked and the location its costly for hunters to fly in. So deer numbers have exploded and not just reds. As you will be aware off the locals and farm staff are just taking the cream not even putting a dent in animal numbers. Also the locked up forestry is another problem up the coast.
    That also is the same for possum numbers. How many guys go in the middle of the Raukumara's trapping??
    Am not a fan of 1080 but what other options are out there.
    I am sure they have just done a search and destroy in there?
    I know a farm the boundaries southern Raukumara's that have shot 1500 deer in 12 months and still not on top of the problem.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sore head stoat View Post
    Yes, had seen that. With the Kea on our old farm they had not 'learnt to eat human food' nor had the probably hundreds poisoned in Fiordland NP. I think the human food line is a cop-out and ignores the many baits that sit up in tree branches where only birds have access.
    Some of the recent nest cam film shows cats as a / the major predator. I expect that over generations there has been a genetic adaptation in feral cats to occupy different and higher range than in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Yes on the one hand trials but on the other flat denial that many birds are killed, this is the contradictory points I wished to hi-light. First hand on a property we owned, the entire Kea colony of 12 birds was wiped out. The Kakariki's also were killed.
    At a guess Kea have a Matriarchal / Patriarchal flock structure that once upset destroys the colony to the extent that the old home range is not re-populated by surviving birds ?
    There is Kakariki in other areas of Canterbury other than the Poulter and Hawdon that seem to proliferate in mast years
    then have a drop in numbers once the predators get going.
    With the amount of 1080 that has been dropped in the aforementioned valleys you would think the numbers of Kakariki would be better especially with the releases as well.
    By memory the last 1080 operation in Arhurs Pass was a failure in terms of predators not killed according to the operators report.
    Sadly the Poulter used to be good hunting with lots of Keas to annoy you.
    When the first 1080 was getting used round Haast Dave Saxton was adamant it was killing the Kea, took the scientists a lot longer to work that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddleduk View Post
    There is Kakariki in other areas of Canterbury other than the Poulter and Hawdon that seem to proliferate in mast years
    With the amount of 1080 that has been dropped in the aforementioned valleys you would think the numbers of Kakariki would be better especially with the releases as well.
    By memory the last 1080 operation in Arhurs Pass was a failure in terms of predators not killed according to the operators report.
    When the first 1080 was getting used round Haast Dave Saxton was adamant it was killing the Kea, took the scientists a lot longer to work that one out.
    Orange fronts and where ?

One of my previous posts was questioning why tracking tunnel results are not published.... if they were published then we could clearly see [without speculation] if a specific 1080 operation was successful or not.

Define "the operator" please ?

Name:  1598168570771.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  56.6 KB
    tetawa and Micky Duck like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    The problem is Raukumara's is basically land locked and the location its costly for hunters to fly in. So deer numbers have exploded and not just reds. As you will be aware off the locals and farm staff are just taking the cream not even putting a dent in animal numbers. Also the locked up forestry is another problem up the coast.
    That also is the same for possum numbers. How many guys go in the middle of the Raukumara's trapping??
    Am not a fan of 1080 but what other options are out there.
    I am sure they have just done a search and destroy in there?
    I know a farm the boundaries southern Raukumara's that have shot 1500 deer in 12 months and still not on top of the problem.
    Holy shit that's scary if that many dead isn't on top of the problem. Must be a shit tonne chewing up their paddocks

Orange fronts and where ?
    Yes orange fronts and absolutely not telling where, I know what will happen if Doc find out. Being seeing them there since 1999 and there numbers vary. In autumn 2019 they seemed to up every tree, doing very well.

One of my previous posts was questioning why tracking tunnel results are not published.... if they were published then we could clearly see [without speculation] if a specific 1080 operation was successful or not.

Define "the operator" please ?
    Check out the EPA operator reports online.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse View Post
    Holy shit that's scary if that many dead isn't on top of the problem. Must be a shit tonne chewing up their paddocks
    Raukumaras is shocking. Edge deer maybe in ok nick, but right in the guts they’re half starving to death. Been like that for years!!

Check out the EPA operator reports online.
    Tried cant find it.. link pls ?

Google 1080 aerial operators reports, every drop from 2008 or there abouts. Peruse at your pleasure

Google 1080 aerial operators reports, every drop from 2008 or there abouts. Peruse at your pleasure
    Got this but nothing recently and nothing APNP
    https://www.epa.govt.nz/resources-an...r=669&start=10