Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By Hunter595
  • 1 Post By 7mm tragic
  • 2 Post By clifford
  • 9 Post By Barry the hunter

Thread: Pureoras

Pureoras

Looking at going in around hauhangaroa hut this weekend. Given it's a bit higher and colder there, does the area hold deer over the winter months?
    Would I be better served going in around the waihaha hut area being a bit lower?

I have never hunted around hauhangaroa hut, but have hunted for many years in the waihaha area, firstly it never used to be very safe leaving a vehicle overnight by the start of the track at the bridge, so keep that in mind.
    There is a lot of area to hunt in waihaha, I was mostly pig h7nting with dogs but also have seen deer in there, i would suggest go along the track to the big clearings, then drop down to the right, to the north is probably more correct and hunt in there,
    I haven’t been in there for more than 2 years so someone much more knowledgeable than me may point you in the right direction.
    308 likes this.

Might be best day hunting up where you describe and camp at the car. Be good to get a porker on the trot. There's plenty of watercress in the stream down from our place if I get there before the market crowd have them bagged up.

It's not cold at the moment so I don't think that will be a factor.
    Longrun likes this.

Good morning, we walked into Hauhungaroa Hut last weekend. The track is pretty rough - the walk took us closer to 5 hrs than 3 hrs. We didn't see a lot of deer sign, but saw heaps of pig rooting.
    Friwi and will.i.em like this.

Good to know thanks. Did you go over the swamp and bead guts to the north of the hut?

Quote Originally Posted by Longrun View Post
    Looking at going in around hauhangaroa hut this weekend. Given it's a bit higher and colder there, does the area hold deer over the winter months?
    Would I be better served going in around the waihaha hut area being a bit lower?
    just a good point about winter and deer - if the Pureoras are anything like Te Urewera which I know well then the deer go high in winter - why you ask - well days are shorter and what sun there will be will hit the high areas and the valley bottoms will be cold frosty and miserable with little growth - deer will find little spurs and knobs out of wind high up to sit in what sun there is

interesting to hear about the track taking 5 hours.. it must be a mess up there. at least it'll be quiet underfoot. rain's setting in around midday sunday. i'm heading into Pureora tomorrow for a couple nights fresh air & a wee nosey round. good luck mate & safe hunting

Yes, the 5hr Intel put us off that option.
    We'll be around Saturday till Monday fly camping till the wet forces us to camp at the car.
    Have a good one.

yeah the Souwester put the brakes on my plan A. so it'll be a last minute call on the ground. enjoy, i'll keep an ear out