Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Q: 7-08 Ammo

Q: 7-08 Ammo

Evening,

I had a quick search and couldn't find a recent thread.

My question is around 7mm08 ammo and the future of the calibre.

Does anyone have any credible info on 7-08 ammo and whether its a dying calibre?

After 140grain in NZ.
    Does anyone have any actual data about whether the availability of the ammo will come back or are we stuck with limited brands.

Federal 140g seems to be the best for my rifle. Which seems unavailable everywhere I look.
    That said I haven't tried plenty of other types.

Can anyone shed some credible light on the question if its an import/supply issue, or is the calibre actually being phased out around the world.

cheers.

MB
    Can't tell you about the bigger picture, but it's been a bit of a struggle to track down here in Northland. I tend to use Hornady SST 139gr. Next time around, I'd go .308 or .243.

Caretaker
    The 7mm08 will be around for another 500 years minimum

Ammo for most calibres is in short supply everywhere at the moment

If your willing to load your own you get to create your own supply

Name:  2E89C7CF-12F8-4821-8F74-F1DC39D4121E.jpeg
Views: 1109
Size:  545.3 KB
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post

If your willing to load your own you get to create your own supply

Attachment 202480
    except 7mm components are quite scarce at the moment just like everything else
    #DANNYCENT

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    except 7mm components are quite scarce at the moment just like everything else
    The great thing about this forum is………..

If your a good bastard, and you need something

Someone will find a way to help you and you will do your best to help them

It’s the way it is around here

You can find any projectiles you want here, you just have to be prepared to help those that help you
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Ammogeddon began back in 2020... Holding out for 2 years under a rock is impressive!

Everything is hard to come by and/or stupid expensive. Currently and for the foreseeable future. Manufacturers are flat out - some are focusing on their most popular lines just to meet domestic demand.

This is particularly an issue for 7mm08 because it's a lot more popular here than it is in the US (where most of our ammo is made).
    tetawa, MB, hebe and 2 others like this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Have been following this as I am looking to go with this calibre as don't want a 308. Just hope levels of ammo come back soon. Reloading won't be an option for a while if we sell the house and go on the road in the caravan.

The alternative was a .243 but leaning towards the 7mm08

Problem is its too popular and they cant keep up with demand will be around for a long time
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Can't tell you about the bigger picture, but it's been a bit of a struggle to track down here in Northland. I tend to use Hornady SST 139gr. Next time around, I'd go .308 or .243.
    just get one of each haha

rats to hear im hopefully about to get a 7mm08
    CBH Australia likes this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    just get one of each haha

rats to hear im hopefully about to get a 7mm08
    To be honest, I only fire it a few times a year now if I'm lucky. The 300BLK gets more of a workout. Even harder to find the right ammo for that. No more oddball calibres for me! Not that they are that out there, just in current circumstances...

I don't see it dissapearing but I do see it becoming more obscure in factory loadings. I'm not a fan of spreading hearsay but have read on several American forums and heard from a distributor here in NZ that a few of the larger manufacturers have it well down their list of priorities and it will be produced in limited batches going forward rather than as a mainstay cartridge.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Greetings @Aussie and all,
    I suggest that a lot of the wonder cartridges introduced over the last few years will bite the dust before the 7mm-08. As suggested above shortage of ammo is just a supply and demand issue. Currently ammo and components are scarce for 7mm-08I just as it was for 6.5mm cartridges not so long ago. This will pass as previous shortages have. Cases are easily made from .308 or a bunch of others and demand for ammo is high due to the number of riflesalready around.
    The extent and duration of the current shortages (now past 2 years and counting) are exceptional. There is a saying "When the USA sneezes everyone gets a cold" and the current political unrest in the US coupled with the continued Covid epidemic is likely to make supply patchy for a while yet. This is why we all need a plan B for ammo supply. Mine is handloading. What is yours? If you don't have one it might pay to think about it.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck likes this.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    7mm08 is about the same popularity as 243, 6.5x55 and 270, probably more popular than 3030, 3006.

6.5 creedmoor and PRC is the rage right now, but it is anyone's guess how long that will last. If your question is about whether it is safe to buy a 7mm08 gun, the answer is yes. Only a 308 is safer.

See I'm in the boat of owning both a 3 and 7mm08.

All throughout the shortages of late there has always been 308 ammo available. The rifles to fire it not so plentiful.

7mm08 however there have been rifles but limited at best ammo to shoot through said rifles. The 7mm08 is here to stay but if you want something that's roughly speaking similar performance just got with a 308 and get a decent recoil pad and good suppressor to help mitigate the slightly increased recoil. The deer won't tell the difference.

As a example Winchester Australia supply both the Aus and NZ markets, the Ozzies don't really use 7mm08 much but 308 is a different proposition so hence the supply of 308 Winchester factory ammo and not 7mm08.

I don't think it's a dying calibre per se but if you see all the fads and trends over the years there is one calibre that is the constant against which others are measured and is here to stay- 308 win.

I hope I've answered you're question as best as I can from what I know.
    Micky Duck and CBH Australia like this.

Just been looking online, not much factory 7mm08 around but there is some. If you were not going with that calibre what would you go with other than a cream puff. Not getting a man bun for anyone. But then I'm set on the 7mm anyway
    CBH Australia and louiannz like this.